“Not up to Marriott standards...”

Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
Belle River, Ontario, CAN
“Not up to Marriott standards...”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If I hadn't of received a fantastic deal through Priceline on this hotel I would have been very disappointed. Although, I don't understand how Priceline came up with a 3 star rating for this hotel. It is run down, the decor needs updating, rooms are very small, furniture is seriously really ugly and they didn't provide any shampoo, mouthwash ect. as most 3 star hotels do. It isn't a big deal to me I always bring my own anyway, but just worth mentioning. That being said I would really like to know how hotels get their ratings, because I would rate this one about a 2, if that.

The one item that really stood out to me is how I was woken up in the middle of the night at least 3 times from people getting back to their rooms at the hotel. The walls are EXTREMLY thin and we weren't even by the elevator. We could hear voices in the parking lot, walking down the hall, and anytime someone made the slightest move in the rooms next to us we could hear it. I found that this stood out to me because normally when I stay at hotels I don't remember being disturbed several times, by noise, throughout the night. So if you are after a solid night’s sleep I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

The bed, even though they said it was a King didn't seem like a King size. It wasn't a Queen but it wasn't a King either. I didn't realize that there was a size in-between. Again, not a huge deal for me, but just something that stood out as odd to me. As far as comfort it wasn't awful, but not great either. The sheets were not of the quality of other Marriott brands such as Springhills.

The way the furniture was placed in the room was odd as well. The bed faced the Window, so when you watched TV you had to twist your whole body around and lay on your side to see it. We didn’t like that at all either. Not good at all when my husband and I watched TV before we went to sleep and the next morning.

It is convenient for people traveling because it is right off the highway, so for a quick nights stay it is ideal. However, I would not ever return to this hotel, nor would I recommend it and how it got a 3 star rating from Priceline is beyond me.

Also, I am comparing this hotels with other Marriotts that I have stayed at, within the Michigan/Ohio/Kentucky area. This is not up to par with Marriott standards at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SereneMoments
Silviya S, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay. I agree with you, the hotel is a little tired. My maintenance team and I have been working on refreshing the property. I also wanted to let you know that we had just upgraded our room amenities and now we provide two different kinds of soaps, conditioner, shampoo and lotion in the rooms. The products are by Paul Mitchell and they are very nice!
If you would like to further discuss your stay, you can reach me at 248 858 9595.
Again, thank you for your feedback! I hope you give us another chance next time you are in the Auburn Hills area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lakeshore, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Everything was great. Fast easy check in with friendly staff. The room was clean and comfortable. We got the room for a Saturday night for $40 through Priceline. Can't beat the price. Bed was comfortable. Hotel was quiet all night. Absolutly no complaints. Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank GWing51
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay!
Leamington, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Hey everyone I booked with priceline for the first time and got a great deal on my room or so I thought. The overall stay was good not fancy but it was clean and kept up we were just useing for a place to sleep for my wifes shopping trip. So on check out the front desk told me that we were good and didn't have any other charges so I said ok thanks buy. Well today I just saw on my Visa bill that priceline charged me plus this hotel charged me so instead of getting a great price I ended up paying full price for this place which I would of never done, I can get a way better hotel for that price just make sure you double check your bills.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jared B
Hello,
I just read your review and I wanted to address this situation. Can you please reach out to me so I can look into your reservation? You certainly should not be double charged. If that is the case, I will take care of it for you. You can reach me at 248 858 9595 and ask for Silviya.
Thank you! Talk to you soon!
Unionville, Connecticut
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on Feb. 18, 2012. It was actually our 3rd time at rhis hotel and it has not been spectacular, but after this one visit, I think a review is in order because the staff tried really tried hard to make you feel welcome.

The rooms are clean/adequate/OK for 2.5 star - nothing spectacular, but nothing to complain about either. The location is right off I-75 (Square Lake Road exit) and relatively easy to find.

I have sent packages there on 2 different occassions and has not had any problems (the 2nd time we were there, one package did not arrive in time, so the hotel staff sent it back and I got a refund on my CC) receiving them.

During our last visit, the staff was friendly as always, but it was the welcome call that put it over the top. Someone called us within 5mins of getting to our room to let us know that they are there in case we need their assistance. I found this very heart-warming and comforting. A nice touch.

Will definitely stay again. Would be even better if they offered a breakfast included rate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SSC-CP
Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your comment!
Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2011

we arrived at 4pm prior to attending the Guns N' Roses concert. The hotel was really close to the venue (The Palace) and easy to find. For the prince we paid, we were REALLY surprised about how nice the hotel was. They called up to our room 10 minutes after arrival to see if our room was okay. We returned to the hotel at 3AM, so we only slept for about 4 hours...but it was really comfortable. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Drakestar
Toronto
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were here with our 2 year old for a quick weekend getaway. The front desk was very accomodating and found us a room that was not an adjoining one and not near the elevators. Thank goodness because she had a cold and we didn't want to disturb the other guests. Sure the rooms need updating and refreshing but it was generally clean and the front desk was very accomdating. I am personally not a "soft" bed and fluffy pillows kind of guy so my back was kind of hurting in the mornings but I'm sure there are those who like it.

Overall, a good solid stay at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask to get a non-adjoining room if you want to get a good night's sleep or you have kids like us...