“It Just Takes One Call...”

Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on Feb. 18, 2012. It was actually our 3rd time at rhis hotel and it has not been spectacular, but after this one visit, I think a review is in order because the staff tried really tried hard to make you feel welcome.

The rooms are clean/adequate/OK for 2.5 star - nothing spectacular, but nothing to complain about either. The location is right off I-75 (Square Lake Road exit) and relatively easy to find.

I have sent packages there on 2 different occassions and has not had any problems (the 2nd time we were there, one package did not arrive in time, so the hotel staff sent it back and I got a refund on my CC) receiving them.

During our last visit, the staff was friendly as always, but it was the welcome call that put it over the top. Someone called us within 5mins of getting to our room to let us know that they are there in case we need their assistance. I found this very heart-warming and comforting. A nice touch.

Will definitely stay again. Would be even better if they offered a breakfast included rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SSC-CP
Silviya S, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your comment!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

we arrived at 4pm prior to attending the Guns N' Roses concert. The hotel was really close to the venue (The Palace) and easy to find. For the prince we paid, we were REALLY surprised about how nice the hotel was. They called up to our room 10 minutes after arrival to see if our room was okay. We returned to the hotel at 3AM, so we only slept for about 4 hours...but it was really comfortable. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Drakestar
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were here with our 2 year old for a quick weekend getaway. The front desk was very accomodating and found us a room that was not an adjoining one and not near the elevators. Thank goodness because she had a cold and we didn't want to disturb the other guests. Sure the rooms need updating and refreshing but it was generally clean and the front desk was very accomdating. I am personally not a "soft" bed and fluffy pillows kind of guy so my back was kind of hurting in the mornings but I'm sure there are those who like it.

Overall, a good solid stay at the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask to get a non-adjoining room if you want to get a good night's sleep or you have kids like us...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cr8zymike
Reviewed November 11, 2011

A fantastic place to stay. Very nominal with excellent facilities in that area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sivasailam L
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Just got done with a 10 night stay at the Courtyard Pontiac/Bloomfield. It was actually my 2nd visit to this property and I hope to be fair and balanced with my review.

Overall, the property itself (building, lobby, rooms, amenities) would rate a B. The property is in need of a renovation. I doubt anybody would disagree with this observation. The lobby is dated by Courtyard standards. The hallways are clean but drab and the rooms themselves desperately need a touchup. This does NOT mean the room is not comofortable.. it just means I felt like I was walking into a hotel from 15 years ago.

The staff at this particular Courtyard is exceptional. From the GM Brandon to the maintenance man to the housekeeping staff.. everybody is extremely friendly and it never feels like a problem is a problem. Every question is met with a smile. Every issue is resolved quickly. This is what makes a hotel rate higher than the structure itself would warrant.

My one real criticizim with this property is the same I have with just about any hotel I visit with a Priceline or Hotwire booking.. I know you're not going to give me the nicest room in the hotel, but please.. when I book a long term stay with you do not put me directly next to an elevator or ice machine. This is the 2nd time at this particular property that I've booked via Priceline and both times the first room they offered me was unacceptable due to noise.
Granted, Brandon switched my room without arguement.. but still, that conversation should have never needed to take place.

Anyway.. overall I would rate this property 4*.
The staff and experience of being there is a definate 5*
The property which needs some TLC gets a 3*.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a quiet room. Also remember that some rooms have balconies and some have HDTV...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Speeding_Wheels
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Staying at this hotel was a horrible experience. I checked in around 9:45pm. I had never stayed at this particular property before but it was close to where I was working the next morning. When I got to the room it was run down and the hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. I walked to the sliding patio door to open it because the room did not smell fresh and the screen door was broken and would not close (it would not slide shut and there was about a foot of open space that bugs or a bird could have entered the room). I contacted the front desk and the girl on duty did not seem too concerned. She said that the balconies are under construction at this time and that maybe it became damaged during some of this work they are performing. I expressed my concern about the state of the room and she said there are no better rooms at the hotel and that even if she moved me to another room it would be the same. The carpet was very worn and my biggest complaint is that the carpets were visibly dirty and it was evident that housekeeping had not vacuumed the room after the last guest had checked out. The phone next to the bed was filthy. I did not sit in the chair at the desk because it was also very dirty. The sheets on the bed were clean and the towels in the bathroom were clean but that being said, this is a terrible property and I would not recommend staying here until they do a complete remodel. I asked the front desk when they were scheduled for an upgrade and they said it will be at least another year.

Room Tip: None of the rooms at this hotel are good. All are desperately in need of a remodel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
BrandonFrederick, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel. We are so sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us but please know we take extreme pride in guest service and cleanliness. I can assure you this is not a normal occurrence for us and we have taken action to ensure other guests do not have the same experience.

We hope you will give us another try on your next visit to the greater Detroit Area!

Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed here for one night in late September 2011. I normally stay at the full-service Marriott across the street, but it was sold out for the night, and this Courtyard had an unbeatable room rate. The check-in experience was a little lackluster, but not unfriendly. I was given a room with 2 double beds, even though I was solo. Lobby is not updated to the newest "Courtyard Bistro" experience, so it was a little dark and quiet. There looked to be a nice pool, but I didn't use it. Room was fine - plenty of space and clean. The only complaints I had about the room were that there were not any power outlets on the nightstand or near the beds to charge my phone and iPod. The room with the shower and toilet had a noisy fan and a light that flickered on and off during the shower, but it was clean and the shower had great water pressure. Parking and internet were free, and the Mexican restaurant across the street, Mi Zarape, was very delicious!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and ice machine
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the extra time to review our hotel. It gives me great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning how clean your room was, we take great pride in our cleanliness and strive to be the cleanest hotel in the detroit area. I sincerely hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to town.

Brandon Frederick

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomfield Hills Detroit
DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomfield ...
#1 of 1 in Bloomfield Hills
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - I -75
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
Quality Inn Auburn Hills
#4 of 19 in Auburn Hills
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
#11 of 19 in Auburn Hills

Been to Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!