“There's always bad with the good”

Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying here for a few weeks and have a few more to go. The good things: friendly staff, large rooms, air conditioning that works, free wifi ( works good as long as you don't use skype much), free parking with plenty of space, free breakfast, nice green grounds. The bad: worn out furniture and carpets, playground falling apart, freezing pool, and the cable tv is constantly going out. It goes out in the middle of a show quite often, so frustrating!!!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Cando123

Reviewed August 3, 2014

As the many other reviews have stated, this hotel is old, outdated, and in desperate need of refurbishing. The reason we stayed at the RI is because we were in town for two weeks, and wanted a room with more space than just a regular hotel room, the location was good, and the price was reasonable. So we rented a one-bedroom suite.

Now back to the condition of the hotel: The carpet is in need of replacing; the furniture is old, stained and uncomfortable; and the kitchen appliances are terribly outdated (we didn't even want to cook in there!). The bedroom only had a queen-sized bed, as they didn't even offer king-sized. Even the luggage carts were falling apart!

I have stayed at many Residence Inns over the years, and this one is certainly toward the bottom of the list. The free breakfasts were not that good, and the food at the Manager's Reception were pathetic. In two weeks, we couldn't even eat there one night.

As a Platinum Rewards member, i got absolutely no benefits at this hotel. Not only did I not get any type of upgrade, but I didn't even get so much as a free bottle of water. The one saving grace about this hotel is that the staff was very friendly and provided us with whatever assistance we needed.

I would not stay at this place again until after they refurbish it and get their act together.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave A
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Dave A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and for being loyal to Marriott. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Although, we are not the newest hotel in the area, we strive to provide a high level of service and having the cleanest hotel we possibly can. We appreicate the feedback and will certainly review each of your concerns. Thank you for the positive feedback on our friendly staff. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I'm a Marriot platinum member, so I've seen my share of hotels. This is a very poor hotel. It's just plain worn out. The stuffing was coming out of the arms on the couch (see photo). I had to ask for a clean ironing board. Really?

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Ryan K, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor and for being so loyal to Marriott hotels. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Although, we are not the newest hotel in the area, our staff takes tremendous pride in providing the friendliest service and having the cleanest hotel we possibly can. We value your comments and will use them to improve, as we strive to do every day. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations during this stay, and we hope that you will give us a chance to exceed them during your next trip to our area. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel was a pleasure to stay. I was there for a week on business. The rooms had a complete kitchen. The hotel served breakfast each day. They also served dinner three nights as well. A great bargain for the price I paid. And I loved the happy hour from 5-730. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Auburn Hills area, and need accommodations for longer than one night!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Old rooms! Was in a suite with dirty cooking utensils! Was there for 14 days a housekeeper came in to clean 1 time. During that time she put dirty dishes back into cupboards. Very visably dirty too may I add.
The toilet ran all night and we were above he laundry area heard that the whole time. Saved the best for last water was some how coming into my room from the carpet not wet by the windows at all. Brought this to the managers attention because it ruined my Name brand bag and she told me things are things. Questioned if it was real and said they would give is quarters for the laundry service. They were sold out so couldn't move us. Threw towels down and said they would fix in the am when we were out. Came back to puddles in the bedroom.
Never heard from
The manager again regarding any of this. Tried to leave but the surrounding hotel with the amenities I needed for my handicap daughter was sold out! What a mess!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ab0612
Ryan K, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was a disappointing one. Our staff takes tremendous pride in the cleanliness of our hotel as well as providing the best service that we possibly can to our guests. I can assure you that your comments are being taken very seriously and are being used to improve our future guest’s experiences. We hope to prove this to you the next time you travel to our area.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the first time on April 4. We usually stay at another all-suite hotel but decided we would give this hotel a go. We were pleasantly surprised! This hotel was very clean and quiet, the room was in excellent condition. The breakfast was good and a definite perk! We will stay here again :)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I love Residence Inns and always try to stay on an extended assignment. They are basically small apartments and well suited for homelike comfort. I stayed at this site for one month. There were some minor inconveniences-the main building with the food/pool etc is not attached to the resident building so you have to go outside. Probably not an issue in the nice weather but one during the nightmare winter we are having. That being said-this was one of my favorite places I have ever stayed. The staff here is incredibly friendly. You feel like family here. Darrell(hope that is right) who is the right hand man for various facility jobs is wonderfully friendly, helpful and upbeat. All of the desk staff were very nice-Stephanie, Sondra and others who went the extra mile for any request. As a woman alone for this month-I felt very safe. I would stay here again without a moment's hesitation.

Room Tip: I asked for a corner room on the highest floor. There was minimal noise but that way you don't h...