“Bad group planning led to disaster”

Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Recently I stayed at the Marriott Hotel in Auburn Hills, MI with a group that had reserved rooms for a car show between 07/30/08 through 08/03/08. This car show was a pretty big deal for the members involved as it happens once every ten years.

Our experience with the hotel was great at first. The rooms were nice and the staff were great, but the final night that we stayed at the Marriott tthere was another group at the hotel that had a private party planned. I and the other guests were notified about this just from signs posted that the outdoor pool would be closed for the other party.

What we had not been warned about was that this other group of people would be turning the Marriott into a nightclub. almost all the members of this car club had drove to the hotel from great distances, including myself, and the following day we were all planning on driving a long way to get back home. As you can imagine we all wanted to get as much sleep as possible.

That didn't happen.

We stayed on the eigth floor of the hotel and could not only hear the music from the party that went on until after 2am, but it was loud enough where we could understand the words to the songs that were playing.

The Marriott was nice enough to reserve an area of the parking lot for the old cars. Unfortunately this area was right outside the outdoor pool, so that at 2am when they closed the outdoor pool, the people partying (at least a hundred at that point) moved the party into the parking lot.

Now a lot of these cars are not only valuable, they also hold a lot of sentimental value. So after the Marriott had assured our group that the cars would be safe, to see a large group of extremely drunk people partying around these cars was unbelievable.

Even when the party stopped there, it just moved into the hotel. Loud music and people running up and down the halls where what every other guest of the hotel was able to listen to all night long.

Lots of complaints were made throughout the night. Nothing was done about this.

By the next morning there was trash everywhere. Alchohal spilled in the elevators, cigarette burns all over the place. Garbage all around the old cars.

This was a horrible experience. It wasn't safe to attempt to drive across the country on less than 2 hours of sleep. In the future warn they should guests when one of the hotels plans on hosting a party that will go all night so that they can make other arrangements if nessicary. I have stayed at several hotels and motels across the country, and this was by far the most irresponsible thing I've ever seen. I don't blame the people at the party, I blame the hotel for not informing it's guests that such a party was planned. Whoever coordinates these events did a horrible job. I saw ads in the hotel for planning weddings at the Marriott, and I'm glad that it was just an old car show booked at the same time as a rave, instead of someone having their wedding reception ruined.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank whiptcracker66

Reviewed June 2, 2008

When one stays in a hotel for as many days as I did (more than 50 nights) they experience many of the glitches but the dilligence and manner with which hotel employees handled any one of the issues I raised impressed me! Overall my experience in this hotel was and is excellent.

1  Thank uric
Reviewed May 3, 2007

Was there for 3 nights for a wedding and the service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and the accomadations were perfect. Any requests we had were taken care of promptly. We ate the catered food and at the restaurant and both were very good, especially the breakfast buffett. The pool and fitness center were perfect and tucked away to limit traffic. Location is very convienent right off the highway, but you hear no noise. Overall the quality of this hotel only added to a perfect weekend!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2006

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. From the outside it gives the appearance of a very dated (and worn) property, but the quite the opposite is true. It is new, plush and well appointed. The staff are what make this hotel stand out. Every single interaction was absolutely delightful - and nearly unexpected. The desk staff were wonderful, and every single employee went out of their way to make us feel welcome and appreciated. I was slipping a bit on some ice in the parking lot and the gentleman salting the side walk ran to my assistance and helped me to my car. I was amazed.

Definately book your next stay in the Metro Detroit area at this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott. We were there for a Packard Meet, and they handled all requests competently. The parking lot was convenient for the antique cars. The nearby restaurants were good. The hotel restaurant was also good but more expensive. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was professional, well trained and friendly. We would recommend it to anyone and would return if we are in that area again.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Great food and Service. This is the place to stay when visiting Auburn Hills.

thanks for a great week.

Stayed: May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Israel
Reviewed April 16, 2005

I was there in Detroit and i met a guy from the reception his name is Shaawy Hany as he told me later
i am a jewish (arab israil) and i do know that most of arabian countries and doesn't feel good with the arab israil people
shaawy was knew that i am jewish and he did serve me that i thought that he is really my brother who taking care of me
very good example for arab people and excellent candidate you choose to handle and taking care of your clients
Thanks
Mahajna Solman

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
#10 of 17 in Troy
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
Hyatt Place Auburn Hills
#4 of 18 in Auburn Hills

Been to Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac? Share your experiences!