“Nice, Clean Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Plymouth
Plymouth, Michigan
“Nice, Clean Hotel”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I enjoyed my one night stay at the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Staff was very friendly and helpful
  • Disliked — Sheldon Road was still closed near the hotel (as of August 08). That construction has been going on for years.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Chuck_Bad
HGIPlymouth, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
Sheldon road underpass project has been completed since December 2008. Currently, there are no current construction projects affecting access to this hotel. Thank you everybody for your patience with this city/county project. Good news is that you can't get stuck by the TRAIN anymore!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed January 10, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for one night. Several of my colleagues were also staying at the hotel the same evening.

The room was very nice. The bed was comfortable, there's a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The decor was definitely a step up from Hilton's next hotel category (Hampton). The Neutrogena toiletries were also very nice.

The fitness room was good - two bikes, an eleptical, tread mill, and a weight machine. Everything was in good working order. There were plenty of towels available. I noticed that the hot tub was under repair, but this didn't affect me.

The breakfast buffet was OK - the scrambled eggs were a little on the cool side. Hilton Garden Inns, like Marriott Courtyards, charge for their breakfast buffet. It must be something about targeting the business traveler who can easily expense the cost.

Now for the one BIG problem. I arrived with two of my colleagues at 11:00 after driving for 5 hours. We were exhausted. We had guaranteed reservations, but the hotel was overbooked. The woman working the front desk was clearly not ready to deal with this issue. Luckily for us, the night shift desk manager showed up, and she "found" a room for my colleague. I'm sure that meant that whoever arrived after us was out of luck. I know hotels routinely overbook. However, that doesn't mean I have to like the practice. I would strongly recommend taking advantage of the new on-line check-in that Hilton chains now offer.

Other than that, the hotel is right off the highway. I would definitely give them another chance (my one colleague who had stayed at the hotel many times previously did say that he had never had a problem with his reservation previously).

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Nittany&Fargo
Sebewaing, Michigan
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I stayed here with a friend who was apartment hunting in the area. The hotel was very nice. Beds were comfortable. I was surprised that there was a charge for breakfast, every Hilton chain hotel I've stayed in had complimentary breakfast. It was good food, and my friend's new employer picked up the tab so I guess I can't complain. Also, the hottub was closed for repairs, which was a huge disappointment. This would be a good place for business travelers. We loved IKEA for shopping, close by! I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank tk4books
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 12, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a wedding nearby in downtown Plymouth. Overall, it was a good hotel. The only actual annoyance turned out to be the pool/spa. My wife swam on Thursday night and the spa was great but the pool was nearly cold. On Friday night, we both went down and the pool was nearly spa temperature (90s) and the spa was too hot. Now, that was the only thing, and it should not be enough to sway your decision to stay here.

On a positive note, there was both a microwave and fridge in the room, even though I could not find those listed on the web site for the hotel. If I had known, we would have packed some microwave snacks. All in all, I was very pleased. As a travel agent myself, this fits the mold that I believe the Garden Inns are trying to make for themselves.

• Liked — Microwave/fridge and business center computers/printers
  • Disliked — Pool/spa temperature and hard mattresses
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jfalk
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 26, 2005

I have probably stayed here 20-30 times. Its pleasant, well laid out, nice rooms, great staff, etc.

Janet and Carmen always greet you with a smile and a cup of coffee, in the breakfast room. The desk clerks always say hi. The rooms are very nice. The beds are awesome. The location is great. Cookies at night....breakfast buffet during the day, gym, pool, etc.

We have a great corporate rate there, and this is my hotel of first choice whenever I am in the area. It is also the ONLY hotel between 275 and Ann Arbor along M14, so the location is awesome.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank quicksilver99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Plymouth - Ann Arbor Area
Hampton Inn Suites Detroit-Canton
Red Roof Inn Detroit Plymouth
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Livonia/Novi

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth? Share your experiences!