All reviews golf course conference center executive suite wedding reception lazy river beautiful chapel business meeting grand ballroom catholic chapel perfect venue burger loft high ceilings reception area family wedding the check in process downtown detroit hotel room
Reviewed May 25, 2017

I attended a wedding at Inn at St. John's and it was a lovely experience--mostly. I was especially impressed with the staff at the front desk and the staff during the wedding reception. The wait staff was highly coordinated and seemed to unobtrusively meet everyone's needs. The room was comfortable and luxurious. There was only one drawback: My room was on the top floor, where there were many bridal party suites. (There were several weddings that weekend.) When the receptions, wound down--after midnight, the bridal parties & their friends loudly spilled out of the elevators--and continued to whoop it up as they staggered down the hallway to their suites. These young people continued to party as if they were all in a frat house, and seemed to have no regard for guests who were sleeping. I called the front desk and I know some effort was made, but a half hour later I had to call again. I highly recommend Inn at St. John's, but if you book a room & want to have peace and quiet when you want to sleep, insist on a room where there are no party suites.

Room tip: Don't get a room where there are party rooms. See above review.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Jim F, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2017

Dear Rebecca B,

Thank you so much for your mostly nice review of your recent stay at The Inn at St. John's. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your positive thoughts as well as those that highlighted your concerns. This gives us an opportunity to praise the associates who exceeded your expectations while also concentrating on improving in the those areas of concern.

I am so sorry that you were disturbed by other guests. I am pleased to hear that our security team responded quickly. Perhaps they could have stayed in the area until the noise fully subsided. I will share your comments with our Security Manager and we will certainly address it for future guests.

I hope you will consider visiting us again in the near future. We were honored to have you as our guest.

Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

The rooms are nicely appointed, similar to a modern Hampton Inn or Residence Inn. Staff are friendly. Grounds are nice. It's got a suburban motel feel but surrounded by golf courses.

They cater to weddings and retreats and other events. Be forewarned if you are here during a wedding it will be loud in the reception areas and in the hallways after the wedding breaks up.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Brando62
Jim F, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2017

Dear Brando62,

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts about your recent stay at The Inn at St. John's. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share them and happy that you found us "clean and friendly"!

Boy, you must stay at some pretty nice Hampton or Residence Inns! We are very proud of our AAA Four-Diamond status, the glorious surrounding 200 acres of prestine grounds and golf course, the spectacular Chapel and four ballrooms, and the beautiful, Italian-influenced architecture! This place is really unique....unlike any property in the Mid-West!

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you have a lovely summer!

Regards,

Reviewed April 26, 2017

This place looks impressive upon arrival and I have no complaints about my stay. I didn't find the price point to be correct. The room was comfortable, a good size and well equipped. The price at over $220 was a lot to pay for what you get. For example, every hotel in the area that I've previously stayed at whilst on business in the area included some form of breakfast in the price, this one included nothing and wanted to charge a breakfast fee. A simple quick breakfast (bagels, coffee etc) would be a nice additon, if full breakfast cannot be included at that price point. If I'd left having had a small bite to eat for the money paid I'd probably return. Having to go to my meetings on an empty stomach means I'll likely go elsewhere in future.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Jim F, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2017

Dear 8338y,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the AAA Four Diamond Inn at St. John's. It was nice of you to write that "the room was comfortable, a good size and well equipped". We truly appreciate it.

With respect to our offering breakfast with the room....we do have a "Bed and Breakfast" rate available most days. I would encourage you to look on-line or ask for details when calling our reservations department.

We were honored to have you as our guest and would love to host you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2017

This resort is a unique venue for a wedding and it is not a surprise that three weddings (including the one we attended) were held here this weekend. Built as a seminary and subsequently closed, it serves as a venue for Catholic weddings and conferences. the chapel is beautiful, with gold inlaid pictures. Seating is unusual in that the guests face each other across a wide aisle leading to the altar. There is a large reception area below the chapel with a breathtaking vaulted glass ceiling. The rooms at the Inn were well appointed and very reasonably priced. The only eating establishment is a bar area. It needs a "real" restaurant.

Room tip: Pick a room on the 7th floor
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Jim F, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2017

Dear S_Chen0720,

Now that is a lovely five star review of your recent stay at The Inn at St. John's. It was so gracious of your to post it and we truly appreciate your taking the time to write it.

I agree that this is a "unique venue". This former seminary offers a AAA Four-Diamond Hotel, the aforementioned "beautiful Chapel", numerous event rooms and ballrooms of various sizes and a very fun 27-hole golf course....all housed on nearly 200 acres of pristine land.

Add to all of this a staff of hospitality professionals whose sole goal is to make every wedding memorable in a wonderful way....I agree with you that this is so very unique.

I also want to share with you that our wonderful 5ive Steakhouse is more than just a bar. You may not have noticed but we offer a full dining room behind the bar area. And, during season, we also offer outdoor seating on our 5ive Terrace. 5ive Steakhouse is rapidly becoming a local favorite and serves truly delicious fare. We are very proud of this full service restaurant!

I truly hope you will visit with us again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed April 9, 2017

We were there for a wedding and had a room for just one night. Very little time was spent in the room as we were dressed for the wedding upon arrival. Between the wedding and reception I checked in which was quick and efficient. Our room was large and had lovely shower products and bathrobes, but a little musty smelling. What surprised me the most was how quiet it was as there were multiple weddings going on that night. I was fully expecting to hear people well into the night and it just didn't happen. If attending another wedding there I would certainly stay again.
My only issue, which was not part of the hotel, was the food at the reception. As we walked downstairs to the Grotto there was a strong smell of fish, which is never a good sign. I had ordered the grouper ahead of time and it was mushy, no flakiness at all. I'm sure it wasn't fresh but it also wasn't properly defrosted.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Mary K,

Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on your recent visit to The Inn at St. John's. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay enough to consider a return visit.

I did wish to address the areas for improvement that you cited.

First, I promise to share your comments about the guest restroom with the appropriate managers from Housekeeping and Maintenance. We encourage our guests to let us know during their stay if anything is amiss. Our goal is to take care of concerns immediately. That said, I am on it!!!

Second, I am sorry the grouper wasn't to your liking. I want you to know that we only serve fresh fish....nothing frozen. However, I will also share your comments with our Executive Chef. I know he appreciates the feedback as well.

Thanks again for your comments. They are truly appreciated!