“Good weekend get away”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Plymouth
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Good weekend get away”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I booked a single night for our anniversary and had a very nice stay. Our king room was very comfortable and the hotel itself was lovely. At first I was a bit concerned that our room was the first after the elevator, but there was never a noise issue and I later realized there is a gap between the first room and the elevator shaft. If I had to be really critical of the room, I'd say the third floor didn't have a great view as we largely saw the roof of the rest of the hotel. That's it. The room was just that nice.

We had ordered the "romance package", but there was a snafu and nothing had been done to set the room up. The gentleman who showed up to deliver our champagne appeared mortified that the mistake had happened. The front desk manager went above and beyond to make things right for us, turning a potentially sour experience into a delight of customer service.

The package also included a buffet breakfast, but the restaurant wasn't running the buffet that Sunday morning. That wasn't a problem, though, as they allowed us to simply order from the menu. I can't imagine the buffet would have been any better than what we received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmbibbs
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear cmbibbs,

First things first.....I would like to wish you a belated Happy Anniversary!

Second, thank you so much for your detailed review of The Inn at St. John's. I view it with mixed emotions! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you think so highly of The Inn. I am encouraged that your concerns were handled quickly, efficiently and to your satisfaction.

However, I am sorry that things did not go perfectly on this very special occasion. You are obviously a gracious person with a forgiving nature! For that, I am grateful!

I hope to see you on or before your next anniversary! Thanks again for the review...I promise we will do better the next time!

Sincerest regards,
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I am a native Detroit girl and come often to visit family and friends. If The Inn at St John's is booked, I change my dates. Gorgeous grounds, top-notch staff, impeccably clean rooms, great beds and linens...quiet, but one minute from the freeway. Golf, nice bar and restaurant. Hard to believe all this for $149 per night! I won't stay anyplace else when I come home, but I admit, I'm a hotel snob, prima donna, diva!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christine S
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Christine S.,

What can I say but thank you so much for your wonderfully kind review of The Inn at St. John's. My staff and I are honored to cater to "hotel snobs, prima donnas and divas"!!! LOL

Seriously, we are truly pleased that you enjoy your visits with us in this wonderful area and we will continue to do what we can to make your trips home special.

Warmest regards,
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Inn at St. John's in connection with a two day conference I was attending June 14-15, 2013. I do feel compelled to comment on the food served at lunch during the conference on Friday. I personally did not like the chicken (it had some type of coating with a cherry sauce drizzled over it), and two other people at my table also mentioned it wasn't up to the standard of previous years. When checking in, the front desk staff was extremely helpful. The room (like my stay last year) was very clean and luxurious, with a large walk in shower. I was definitely pleased with the room.

My boyfriend joined me late Friday afternoon. We decided to eat dinner at 5ive Restaurant right there at the hotel. The menu had less than 10 entrees offered on it. We placed our order, and our drinks arrived immediately. After talking for awhile, we suddently realized that we had not yet received our soup and salad. I started timing at that point, and it was another 15 minutes before our waitress brought the soup and salad. My boyfriend and I both ordered the seafood pasta, which was described as having shrimp, scallops, artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes in a creamy pesto sauce. When it finally arrived, it was extremely bland. Even asking for parmesan cheese did not help to add any flavor to the dish. At $29 per plate, we certainly expected something better than tasteless food. The waitress only came back once to check on us. For a total bill of close to $100 with tip, we expected much better service and food. We will not be patronizing 5ive Restaurant in the future.

After dinner, we decided to walk around the grounds so my boyfriend could smoke a cigar. Earlier in the day during the conference, one of the other attendees mentioned that the landscaping on the grounds was not up to a 5 star hotel. We too saw the lack of upkeep when we walked around the entire main building. Bushes were not trimmed up off the paths, and many of the paver paths had weeds growing between the pavers. Again, not what defines a 5 star hotel.

Since the conference will be there again next year, we will be staying at the hotel, but will certainly not eat in the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Carol C.,

Thank you so much for your review of The Inn at St. John's. You gave us quite a bit to consider and we appreciate your taking the time to share this information with us.

I promise to share your comments concerning your dining experiences with our Chef and the Director of Food & Beverage. I will also forward your thoughts on the grounds to our Grounds Superintendent.

Best wishes,
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had our daughter wedding at the Inn at St. Johns this past weekend. The accomodations for the guest were excellent. The staff and support we received for the wedding at the church and the hall were above or expectations. All the guests were very impressed with the organization, service and the friendliness of the staff. We appreciate your services and highly recommend the Inn for vacation travel or events plans.

Thanks you so much for making our event so very special.

The Manders

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna M
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Donna M.

What a wonderful way to end my day today....reading your glowing review of your daughter's wedding from this past weekend. Thank you so much for taking time to post it.

Also, thank you SO much for trusting our team to handle, arguably, one of the most important days you, your daughter and your family will ever have. We try to view such events as though we were having our family member's wedding/reception here. We know how important it is to provide an exceptional experience for this special day.

Our team is delighted that we exceeded your expectations and we are truly grateful you chose The Inn at St. John's for your daughter's wedding.

Have any more daughters getting married soon? LOL

Best wishes,
Michigan
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for two night for a family wedding in one of their suites. The room was wonderful, clean and roomy. The people at the desk were friendly and very helpful. The place was also quiet because when my family went up to the room to put the kids to bed, we could still hear the music from the reception in the hallway. However, once in the room, we couldn't even hear it.
I mention that the place doesn't seems to be kids friendly because of two things: 1) The bathroom only had a shower, no bathtub, which made it hard for us as our kids likes baths, not showers. 2) There were no kids channels on the cable tv (No Disney, Nick, Cartoon Network, etc). I think this is the first hotel that we ever been to that did not have at least one of these channels. We didn't get the chance to check out the pool area as we were busy with rehershal and that wedding itself.
While I would not come back here if I had the kids with me again, I would love to come back with the wife for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Deafviking,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at the Inn at St. John's. Your comments are proving to be invaluable as we truly appreciate different perspectives on guest expectations....it allows us an opportunity to make improvements that will keep them coming back.

Having worked as a General Manager at a property near Busch Gardens in Tampa, FLA, I can relate to your comments about kid-friendly hotels. I do wish to point out that about a third of our rooms are equipped with bathtubs and the pool area gets terrific reviews from kids and families. Check it out on our website. It's really designed with our leisure guest in mind but also works well for our corporate and group guests.

Your comment on the channel choices is a valid one....we are in the process of reinstating kid-friendly channels like the Disney Channel soon. Thank you so much for that suggestion.

We look forward to your returning for that romance weekend!

Thanks again for your kind comments and terrific feedback. It is truly appreciated.

Best regards,
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

A colleague had told me about this hotel so finally had a chance to stay here when in Detroit west metro for business. The property is easy to get to from Metro Airport, immaculate and grounds beautifully kept. The former monastery is beautiful and really sets off the property. Desk personnel were attentive and friendly. The room was spacious, spotless, a beautiful white marble bath. Dinner that evening was quite good: calamari was not overdone or rubbery, and a really unusual and very good "three piggies" pork trio--roast, sausage and pork belly--was excellent. Tim our waiter was a bit flustered but a nice young man. Room service the next morning was at the door in 15" and good. We will try this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jeffrey K
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Jetsettersixty,

Thank you so much for your very pleasant review of The Inn at St. John's. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay as well as the food in our 5ive Restaurant and room service. I brag about the food here to friends and family quite often and I am happy to see that you do too (via TripAdvisor)! LOL

I also appreciate the feedback on the performance of our staff. I promise to share your comments with them as it helps to reinforce attaining our goal of exceptional service to each and every guest.

I hope you will stop in and introduce yourself upon your next stay. I would love to thank you in person for taking time to share your thoughts on our wonderful property.

Annandale, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Plymouth, Michigan. We stayed at The Inn of St. Johns. It was absolutely breathtaking! The rooms were very nice. The grounds were immaculate. Everything and everybody was so nice. The staff couldn't do enough for us and they were booked solid! The grounds were very well kept. There were weddings all weekend long, but the hallways were very quiet. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Lorrie M,

Thank you so much for your kind, generous take on The Inn at St. John's. Our staff is honored and pleased that you find this a great place to stay.

I have to agree that it is "absolutely breathtaking"! I get to come to work here EVERY day and I have to pinch myself when driving up to the building....it is easily the nicest place I have worked in my 30+ years in the industry.

And, we are very proud of our staff. To a person, they seem to really enjoy taking care of our guests...and, they treat one-another like good friends. That matters, too!

I promise to share you wonderful review with the staff. It will mean so much to them that you were happy with their service and enjoyed your stay.

I hope to see you in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
#3 of 33 in Detroit
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,067 reviews
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel

Been to Inn at St. John's? Share your experiences!