“Fantastic Hotel, Great Venue for a Wedding!!”
Review of Inn at St. John's

Inn at St. John's
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding and loved it! The hotel is well taken care of and everything is very nice. The pool is great and the fitness room is pretty good for a hotel gym. There is a refrigerator in the room and the bathroom is very spacious. Great shower, great bed, no complaints!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jwrichtetravel
tmjroj, Manager at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear jwrichte,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent stay at The Inn at St. John's. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during the wedding event you attended. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Gratefully,

There are newer reviews for Inn at St. John's

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stay here, unless you know a better place in Detroit. The place has character, style, and charm. It is not a big box, bland hotel designed with economics. It is also a bargain relative to corporate chains. The parking and internet is free. The gym is fine. The staff is friendly, although the last time I stayed here the check in process was a comedy act from Albert and Costello's "Who's On First, He's on Second, and I Swiped the Wrong Guys Credit Card" (it was new girl and there was no manager on duty), but this could happen anywhere. Rooms a clean, modern but lack flat panels.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank penpalpenpal

Dear penpalpenpal,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great (and funny) review. While I am truly sorry you encountered a challenge at check in....we will continue to work on getting new associates up to speed quickly....I am truly grateful for your kind comments. I am pleased to report that we are addressing one of your concerns....brand new, 46" flat screen TV's are being installed as I type this response. And, we will continue to solicit comments from guests on how we may improve our services and their experience. We love being thought of as 'The Best Hotel in Detroit" and look forward to your return!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Inn at St. John's brought me back to my catholic upbringing since it is located on a former seminary. The grounds are simply gorgeous. The chapel is amazing. Room are very comfortable and staff was quite accomodating. Would stay here again. Didn't get to golf but the course looked quite nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear TATOMMY,

Thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your recent stay at The Inn at St. John's. We are very proud of the history behind this fantastic facility. We do our best to honor it by being kind and hospitable to our guests and taking excellent care of the facility and grounds. We are truly honored to have you as our guest and look forward to your return. (I highly recommend getting out and playing the golf course. I am certain you would love that too!)

Best regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great hotel, nice location. Luxury rooms, even the smalles ones are very nice. The pool area is worth to spend some time floating in the water, very nicely done.

Room Tip: don't get a X01, X02 room, they are right by the elevator, which can be really disturbing.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jwamerica
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for the taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the kind words and look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is as unique a property as I've ever visited. Evidently it was a historic Catholic Seminary its in previous carnation and the spirits of those days are in every hall way. We had a conference there and the general session was held in what used to be a chapel. Really unique. There is a beautiful chapel on premises and the rolling campus and golf course offer quite a peacefull surrounding.

They just seemed a little understaffed and under trained. Like they aren't busy all the time and don't quite know how to react when it gets busy. No bell staff, which is really not appropriate for a property like this. The restaurant doesn't match the property either. The atmosphere feels very "Holiday Inn" in the restaruant. We didn't bother to experience the food and headed for a nearby chain steakhouse.

If you need to stay in the area of the Detroit Airport, it certainly beats most chains and has a complimentary breakfast, which is ok. No walking to anywhere. If you want mainstreet surroundings, this is not it.

Could be great. Need to invest in service and the property would shine.

Room Tip: Not sure, but my room was small. Remember it is a converted seminary so the rooms probably matched t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again. You should definitely experience the food in 5ive Restaurant, our culinary team is very talented and the eclectic menu options are sure to please. If you are traveleing during the summer months, make sure to give al fresco dining a try on our terrace which overlooks a beautiful garden. I apologize that you did not feel our service was up to par. We pride ourselves in exceeding all of our guests expectations. We will certainly take your comments under advisement and as we always strive to achieve flawless guest experiences. Thank you for taking the time to provide honest feedback.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was attending a conference here all day Friday and Saturday morning (June 15-16, 2012), so I decided to stay Friday night. During a break on Friday afternoon, I went to the front desk to check in. There was one person being helped at the front desk, and during my short wait I had two different staff members who happened to walk by come up and ask if they could help me. Check in was very efficient, and there was no problem making arrangements for my boyfriend, who was joining me later, to pick up a key card from the front desk while I was in the conference. The room was luxurious looking and clean, with a king size bed. The nicely appointed bathroom had a huge walk in shower. I had been told I was being given a room with a nice view since this was my first time staying there, but although the room was on the 7th floor, the view was of the roofs of the rest of the complex. The only negative to the stay was the experience with the hotel's restaurant/bar. My boyfriend and I had dinner elsewhere, but decided to stop in to have an after dinner drink. We asked to be seated at a high top table in the bar area rather than on the outside terrace since it was bit muggy outside. After waiting for 10 to 15 minutes, I got up and asked the hostess if there was waitress service at this table or if I had to go to the bar. She said she would send someone over, and about 5 minutes later a waitress finally came and took our order. My rumrunner was delivered immediately, but it took another 10 minutes for my boyfriend's coffee to show up. It was a good hour later when we finally flagged down the waitress to get our bill. At no time while we were sitting there did she come back to check whether we wanted a refill on the coffee or another drink. We were glad we had not chosen to eat dinner in the restaurant if this was a sample of the service that they offer. I definitely recommend the hotel, but would say pass on utilizing the restaurant/bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
tmjroj, Director of Sales at Inn at St. John's, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for posting a review of our facility. I am so glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit to our property. I apologize for the lack of excellent service you received from our restaurant. I would like to assure you that this is not our standard level of service. We would like to invite you back to give us another try. If you feel like you can find the time to visit us again, please reach out to me. Tawnya Johnson ~The Inn at St. John's.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I've stayed here before but either was not paying attention or didn't have time to so I was not aware that the hotel has historical significance. The hotel doesn't feel like a "vintage" hotel. Maybe remodeling was that good or too good, but the hotel is similar to known modern hotels in appearance. That said, the hotel is more "near luxury" than luxury. Still, I don't think that there is anything else in the area that comes close to St. John's.

The rooms are well appointed - comfortable beds, smart bathrooms - and the entire staff is constantly on their toes. I ran into the General Manager several times and he was visibly yet quietly running the hotel in a hands on kind of way. The only complaints I can muster is that the curtains in the room would not close quite all of the way to shut out all outside light and the toilet paper was not folded in the customary pointed fold. And maybe the people at the front desk would smile and look up more when guest pass. Everyone else in the hotel did. Maybe they were busy.

The most remarkable aspect of the stay was the food. I was there for business meetings and I must say, it's the best "convention food" I've ever had, breakfast, lunch, and dinner! I would assume that the restaurant food is similarly excellent. Yes, I remember passing the gym and the pools on my way to eat. Probably should have done more of the former.

Apparently, the chapel here is a popular place for weddings. There's golf but I didn't play. Others reported that it was excellent.

All in all, the hotel is plush not plush but notable and worth staying. I'm sure I'll be attending more meetings there and will be among the ones that I can look forward to.

Room Tip: There are ground floor rooms. I'd recommend second floor or higher.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Pramstroker,

First of all, I apologize for having not responded to your terrific review of The Inn at St. John's in a timely manner. Nonetheless, I am grateful for your comments and found your suggestions quite useful. Our staff is extremely proud of this facility and pleased that you enjoyed your stay. While we regularly receive excellent reviews on the food we serve in Banquets and at our terrific restaurant, 5ive, it never gets old. Our culinary team, led by Chef Jason Stoops, is dedicated to making every dining experience one to remember. We look forward to your returning as our guest.

Best regards,
Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#1 of 5 in Plymouth
The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit

Been to Inn at St. John's? Share your experiences!