“Honest Staff”

Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Prescott, Michigan
“Honest Staff”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed at the Petoskey Econo Lodge for one night. Fall color tour getaway. I received a phone call from the front desk lady the day I checked out. ( I had made the reservation with her and she assisted me with my check in.) I had left my wallet in the room and the maintenance worker had found it and turn it in. I didn't realize that my wallet was missing until she called. When I went back to pick up my wallet the front desk lady and maintenance returned my wallet with everything still in it. There are still honest people out there! Thanks Petoskey staff!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krachl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
commerce twp mi
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge South in Petoskey, MI on our way to a funeral in Upper Michigan. The hotel was very clean and the gentlemen working the desk was very nice and informative. The pool and hot tub area was spotless. The rooms could use new bedding and sheets but what was there was clean and kept up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The only nice thing I can say about this hotel was that the lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful. It was the most beat up, old, used and abused hotel I've ever seen. From the curtains to the chair to the climate control to the breakfast, it was an absolute waste of money. There was bugs in the bathroom and the food in the vending machine had an inch of dust on it. The chain on the door was broken and I think a two year old could have kicked in the door it was so weak. We paid about $140 for our room and it wasn't worth $40. I will never stay at this or any other Econolodge ever again. The pictures in the ad on-line must have been taken 25 years ago, it looked nothing like them now.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Jad0713

Travelers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Kentwood, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I just want to say to never book a reservation on line with payment. We booked a reservation and then had to cancel plans. They had already taken the payment and it is now over a week and I have called 3 to 4 times to get payment put back in our account. I am now going to the bank to have them help me to get back our 150.00. What an outfit! We always go to this area every summer. I will never book with this hotel again ever!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cindy F
Manistique, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on 5/10/2012 and from the minute we walked into the lobby the cat urine smells was awful, our room was not any cleaner or nicer. There was moldy nasty plates in the microwave area which is also in the same room as the ice machine, this room was not at all clean, nor was the ice machine itself. The lamps in our room were missing the on/off knobs which made it almost impossible to turn them off and on without a pair of pliers (which I had in my truck). The room was musty and stale smelling along with the smell of the cat urine. The curtains would not close so we had to use paper clips in order to close them and keep them closed. We smoked outside of our room in the parking lot, and being that there was not a can or trash bin out doors for butts, we were nice and picked them up and threw them in the trash can in our room. Just trying to be nice and not let the hotel look nastier than it already is. This is a no-no. Throw them on the ground and leave them there. Upon doing this we were accused of smoking in our room and the "Owners" of the hotel are trying to charge us another $50 because we threw our butts in the trash can and tied the bag closed. The pool was also nasty, us girls didn't even want to get into it let alone go into the room. The vending machines were caked with dirt, dust and a heavy layer of funky grime, and was the soda machine. The coffee pot in the room spewed coffee all over the place, and the micro-fridge that it was sitting on was green on the inside and smelled of rotten eggs and rotted fish. The outside of the fridge was yellow in color from not being cleaned, and this was not only noticed up entering the room, but when the coffee pot leaked and was wiped up with a towel, there was a clean streak on the fridge from were the coffee was wiped up. This USED TO BE a NICE and CLEAN hotel up until the others people took it over.

Room Tip: Not clean, Find a different hotel, DO not stay here!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Pamela B
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have been in the Hospitality for almost 18 years and i work pretty much every department of a Hotel and now presently work as a Front Desk Agent at one of the most prominent Resort in Steamboat springs Colorado. So i took a trip to Petoskey Michigan to visit my daughter driving for almost two days when we got to Petoskey at around 3am in the morning we were so tired we stop at the first hotel which was the ECONO LODGE just to stay for the night then we would find another hotel in the morning,when we enter we ask the agent at the desk what the rate was and he said $44 and then we asked what would the total rate if we stayed from 5/3 to 5/8 with the friends and family discount and was told $163.74 so we decided to stay there while in petoskey. On Sunday 6th we was call by the front desk agent the we were suppose to have check out 45 min ago so we told the lady that we were book until the Tuesday 8th so i went to the desk to find out what was going on and this lady was so rude so when asked to speak with the manager we was told that he wont be in until Monday so i told the lady that i will talk then, five min later the room phone rang it was a guy who claims he was the manager but wouldn't give us his name when asked that was kinda odd any ways this guy said that if we want to stay we have to pay or get out and that the guy who book the room was new and it was a mistake and he has been working only for 3 day now so i said that its not our fault that you worker mess up and he hung the phone up on us,so after that we just went on our trip to traverse city on our way there my phone rang and to my surprise it was the sheriff saying that they was call by the hotel that we didn't want to pay and if we don't we would get arrested.My daughter even tried to use the pool and it was so dirty told the lady at the desk and the did nothing that same day we check out and whet to the Holiday Express to stay for the rest of our time.So people be careful of this place its not what it seem to be as well as the people that work the desk and the Man who claims to be the Manager he needs more training and a whole lot of it.So remember THINK TWICE when you go to spend your hard earn cash at this place trust me its not worth it to loose your money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anthony C
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 9, 2012

So my friends and I took a trip to Petoskey from Steamboat Springs Colorado. We drove for 19 hours, tired as heck we stop at the first hotel in town, just to sleep for the night then we would find a better hotel for our 5 days there. We walk in and ask how much for a double bed as it was 3 of us, for the night (3am). The guys at the desk said $44 per night plus tax, we said how much for 5 days since my friend had send me a friends&family discount link, he said $169 we were like sweet we will just stay from Thursday-Tuesday. BIG MISTAKE, Sunday morning the lady at the front desk called and said '' you guys was to check out 45mins ago'' we were like am sorry you got the wrong room were paid until Tuesday, she was so rude she hang up the phone on us, refuse to listen to us, she said the guy who check us in was new and was just working for 3 days now, that's not our fault! I ask to speak to the manager she said hes not the and will not be there until Monday we are that's fine we'll talk to him in the morning and clear this up. Five minutes later the manager called our room from the front desk he said" listen you guys need to pay for the next two days if you want to stay" no hello i am so and so and i here there's a problem. We felt so disrespected by his behavior for a GM as he said and just decided to go about our day as we had plans that we were already late for. On our way to Traverse City we got a call from the Sheriffs department saying that we refuse to pay for the next two nights and if we don't pay we are going to jail. I have never been treated like a criminal in my life, i am a Manager for a hotel in Steamboat i would never even think of treating my guest's like that my boss would have my head. If you want a good stay in Petoskey please please don't stay here, you will regret it. Stay at the Holiday Express, that's were we went for the remanding nights we were there. WORST PLACE TO STAY. Don't say you have not warned you might end up in jail even thou you paid.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. They say none smoking but the staff and guest smoke i saw then and if you say s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends