“Please Dont listen to these PPL!!”
Review of Econo Lodge South

and 1 more site!
Econo Lodge South
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Please Dont listen to these PPL!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stay at this hotel everytime we are in Petoskey and We LOVE IT!!! People are soo quick to complain in hopes that they will ruin someone elses trip or to get something for free!! We have stayed at all the other hotels in the area over the years but we keep coming back to this one because they have never let us down!! I am also sure that just because one person says something negative there are 100 people who have had a great stay but just dont spend the time to make a positive comment!!! I do agree that the building is older but i think it says something that after all these years it is still in business! The rooms are clean and the staff is wonderful! We recomend that you Give this hotel a chance!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sparta, Michigan
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked our room a few days before our trip and it was one of the only places left to have any rooms, now we know why!!!! First they tried charging me more than i was told and had to show them my confirmation on my computer to get them to change the price. After that was settled we went to our room, I opened the door and almost puked!!! It smelt like a wet dog living in an old bar. We went to complain and they gave us a can of air freshener. The windows did not open and after turning on the lights we found the carpet to be absolutely gross! We then asked for our money back and found a new hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sparta1979

Travelers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This Econolodge was the most disgusting place I have ever been to. It looked nothing like their website said that it would be. It had a leaking toilet that left water all over the floor. The staff was so very rude. The cleaning people starting knocking on your door at 8 am to clean it and check out wasnt until 11am. The continental breakfast was a complete joke. I paid as much for this hotel as I did for a gorgeous one that I went to after the econo (nasty) lodge. I would never recommend this place to anyone and I would never stay at an Econolodge in Petosky or anywhere else for that matter.

Room Tip: Do not go to the Econolodge in Petosky
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank karharren
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I took a last minute trip out to Petoskey to attend a book signing and the Econo Lodge was the only hotel we could find with rooms available that were less than $120. Our room's window had a big crack in it. The alarm clock was plugged into the outlet that was controlled by the switch next to the door, so if you wanted to use their clock, you'd have to set it and make sure to turn off all of the lamps at their individual switches rather than the main switch. The toilet clogged (the staff was nice and let me borrow their plunger without making a big deal of it). Breakfast was just pastries, cereal, and waffles (no non-juiced fruit, no protein).

I like to exercise while on vacation, but I usually figure I can at least run or swim if there is no fitness room. Wrong! The pool doesn't open until 9AM (although the back door to the pool had a broken keycard lock I technically could've snuck in). The location was completely un-runnable with no sidewalks and next to a multi-lane highway on a hill. Luckily, there was a fitness trail I was able to find after running through the abandoned parking lot next door (by the senior apartments).

Don't stay here! We originally were thinking of trying out Priceline "name your own price", but we were afraid of getting stuck with something awful or not directly in Petoskey. What a mistake! I'm not sure we could've done worse as we had to drive into the downtown from this location anyway. Wal-Mart was directly across the street, but I didn't see how a person could walk to it. Maybe it's a good location for the Casino (via shuttle... again, I don't think you could walk anywhere), but we didn't go there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
j
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Way over priced for the room. The room was clean however bedding had rips, tears and burn holes. We killed several beetle type bugs in bathroom. The room was extremely small. The TV is located at the very foot of bed and you are not able to watch it comfortably. Towels and bedding are in desperate need of updating, upgrading.
Pictures on line do not compare to the actual Hotel, not a nice as it appears. Air conditioning unit worked smelled very musty and the stairs going to the room need some repair. Had we had another option we would have changed our reservation and stayed else where and now we will no longer trust Econo Lodge. Nor ever recommend anyone staying there again. All the hotels in the Petoskey area are over priced, however at least they are nicer rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This hotel was disgusting. I will never stay there again!! It had dead flies and bugs on the carpeting. It smelled horrible - kind of like dirty wet socks. The curtain was ripped and hanging half off the rod. The bathroom tile had been replaced but over top of the old and had ripples in it that showed the old floor. There were bugs galore!! In the bathroom - on the bed and on the floor. I will never stay at an Econolodge again. This was by far the worst hotel I have ever been in. I didn't get any sleep worrying about the bugs. Unfortunately the city was sold out so we had no choice. Stay away - Do not go near this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Very inexpensive. Near the casino. Very comfy beds. Excellent staff.

• Stayed April 2011