“Not so great value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Oberlin, Ohio
“Not so great value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on vacation. Like an old-fashioned motor inn -- park under a canopy right in front of your room. The room is much like a Red Roof room, but very full -- mini-fridge, microwave, safe, tv, etc. -- and little space to move around. The room was clean and the beds were just OK. The bathroom door could not close -- door hit jam. The novelty of the hotel is that "free" food is available 24/7. The fare is OK for breakfast, but not so much for dinner. My wife had a peanut butter sandwich and I had a microwaved pot pie. Yes, there are other options but not a whole lot more that are appetizing. We thought the price for the room was a high and the "free"food did not make up for it. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rob T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cheboygan, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Friends and I stayed here for 2 nights. We were pleasantly surprised and the value we experienced. Free food all day; the soup was great. Pleasant staff. It is an older hotel that has been remodeled, but it is clean and has easy access to Petoskey. I would recommend this, especially to families wanting to save a buck or two. The dining area is small; that is the only thing they really could improve on. When I heard my friends chose this place, I had my doubts but I was definitely wrong!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Karen D
Flint, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

I would give this motel zero stars if that were an option! I have never had such TERRIBLE customer service!!! The front desk clerks were rude and seemed disinterested in their jobs. When we went to check in I asked if the twitter discount or the AAA discount would be the best. Mary, the rude front desk clerk, informed me it was the AAA. I gave her my cards and she ran the transaction. When she handed me the paperwork to sign, and I noticed the AAA was only 15%! The twitter discount they advertise is 20%! I asked if I could get the twitter discount instead and she rolled her eyes(!) and called another associate over to help. This clerk Taylor was just as rude. They refunded the original charge. I immediately checked my account and saw the charge but no refund. When I asked her about this her response was, "It's gonna take more than five minutes to get to your account." At that point I was done! I asked to speak with a manager, when he came out he had a major attitude. He crossed his arms in front of his body covering his name tag. After several, "That's not gonna happen." I called the owner left a message to which I still have not gotten a response. My friends and I decided this motel was not a finically wise or trustworthy option. After contacting my bank to expedite the return of funds so I could reserve a different hotel it was over two hours later. Not one apology was offered until we arrived at our new hotel, where the clerk there apologized for their behavior. This could have ruined our vacation. Our vacation was saved by great bank customer service and Charlevoix Inn and Suites. I would never recommend staying at @Michigan Inn and Lodge.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank 2ndannualgirlstrip
MichiganderMan, Front Office Manager at @ Michigan Inn & Lodge, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
I would give you zero stars as a guest if you were a guest and that were an option! Your review is completely based on alleged "eye rolling". You forgot to mention why the manager said, "That's not gonna happen." You were requesting we add the AAA and Twitter discount together for a 35% discount. You used a debit card and you should know debit cards take time to refund funds. It's nice you appreciate your bank's customer service but you didn't mention the fact that we we're responsible for you getting your refund quickly. We didn't have to but we helped you by typing a letter on our letterhead and faxing it to your bank to facilitate processing your refund immediately. It's a hectic time of year and our employees may be a little stressed. Mary is a new employee and I can understand why she may have shown some disappointment when you wanted to cancel your registration and start over. We will be addressing the need to not show any negative emotions when serving a guest.
Covington, KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

We got a great discount off the already reasonable rate because my companion has lots of Twitter followers. You'll get a discount if you just follow the Inn. Because this is a former Days Inn the rooms aren't large, the bathroom space is adequate, and décor is more than a bit dated. But our room was very clean. The nights we stayed were quiet. We could park the car in front of the room. There's a small round table with two chairs so both of us could sit with our laptops (free Wifi) instead of one at a desk and one on a bed. The beds were OK, the pillows were pretty good. The food selection was pretty big but you must eat it in the small dining area. You can't take it out to your room (except for coffee, ice cream & popcorn). The staff we encountered were pleasant. The location is uphill from downtown. If you get a room on the 2nd floor facing the bay - the view is spectacular. I wish we'd done that but we had a lot of stuff with us and didn't want to lug it up the stairs (no elevator). Even though you're not near downtown it's only a short drive to get anywhere. So if you're on a budget you can't beat this place.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, get a room on the 2nd floor facing the bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Port Ludlow, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

Looks can be deceiving, because the Michigan Inn & Lodge doesn't look all that great. However upon entering the lobby, everything changes. First, it's the free bag of popcorn, then they inform you that their cafe is open from 6 AM to 10 PM, and the food is free! Next, we entered our room and were pleasantly surprised at what appeared to be a complete upgrade with large flat screen TV, apartment sized fridge, microwave, nice new looking furniture, etc. the only drawback for us was lack of an elevator to the 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bill H
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is the best hotel we have every stayed at in Michigan!
The cost is excellent at below or around $100.
Great selection of food! They basically have buffet-style cafetaria from 6 am to 10 pm.
The room is clean, the beds are comfortable. Nice big HDTV in the room with a Blu-Ray player. You can rent movies from them for $1 and they have free popcorn all day long.
If you bring electronics with you, they have lots of power outlets in the room.

Will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: They accept AAA insurance discount!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank pixelious
Davisburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at this establishment. If you are looking for luxury you won't find it here, BUT if you are looking for a good price, comfort and cleanliness this is the place for you. They even have a small serve yourself 'restaurant ' inside the check in office. We had a nice Free breakfast both mornings. The choices were beyond what you would usually expect in motels offering a free breakfast. The 'restaurant ' was constantly being cleaned and stocked with hot food and other breakfast items. Our overall experience at Michigan Inn and Lodge was very pleasant. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Great deal for the price!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple