We stayed here just this past weekend during a mini-break to visit somewhat nearby Fiske Orchard and to drive the Tunnel of Trees (both great fall activities that I would highly recommend). The hotel looked nice enough online and seemed to fit our basic needs - a clean place to stay, pool for our toddler to play in during downtime, nice valley view room option - but I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the end result.
I was very surprised to later learn that the hotel was just built in 2007 because parts of it (the carpeting and elevators in particular) look like they're about 20 years old. Our room was clean enough, with the separated bedroom and living space that we were looking for so that my husband and I could relax and watch a movie near the in-room fireplace after we put our toddler to bed. Great in theory, except the fireplace did nothing but make a loud fan noise and there was no option to order on-demand movies so we were stuck with whatever was on TV that night.
The biggest complaint that I have about this hotel is the paper-thin walls, as other reviewers have referenced. We received a call from the front desk at around 9:30pm and were told that the person in the room below us had complained about our "walking loudly", which was interesting because we were sitting on the couch watching television and not moving around the room at all. There was a wedding group staying at the hotel on the night that we were there, so I'm sure that played into the numerous door slams and loud voices that carried throughout the night, but the last straw for me came when I was woken up at 1 in the morning by the sound of people in the room next to us having, um, intimate relations. Frankly, it was disgusting how clearly we could hear what was going on and I can honestly say that I'm sure that it was more due to the poor design of the hotel than how well things were going for the couple next door.
The contintental breakfast was nothing amazing (standard cereal, bagels, pancake machine), but would have worked as a quick bite before we headed out the next morning had there not been people wandering the dining room without shoes (and one without a shirt), immediately making me lose my appetite. We ate at the Bob Evans down the road instead.
The good news is that the pool area was nice, our bed was comfortable, the people that we interacted with at the front desk were very nice, and we did get a pretty good laugh and take-home story from the goings-on in the room next to us. That being said, I don't think I'd ever stay at this hotel again if we were in the area, especially for the price that we ended up paying ($186/night).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Petoskey, MI Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites near Little Traverse Bay.This new hotel is conveniently located off Hwy 131 and offers easy access to ski resorts, golf courses, casino, wineries and beautiful Petoskey beaches: home to Michigan's state gem, the Petoskey stone. Your family can enjoy a stay at our Petoskey accommodations with an ideal location near the Bay Harbor Marina, Kilwin's Quality Confections Tours, Raven Hill Discovery Center and Michigan's largest indoor water park, Avalanche Bay. Petoskey is also home to the Gaslight Shopping District and the Odawa Casino.Business travelers enjoy our hotel in Petoskey because of its convenient location near businesses such as Manthei, H&D, Wal-Mart and Northern Michigan Hospital. Several world-class golfing venues, like Crooked Tree and Bay Harbor, are within six miles of our hotel in Petoskey, MI. Free high-speed Internet access and faxing services are offered for your convenience.Our excellent Petoskey hotel facilities offer you upscale amenities including private balconies, a fitness center, a heated indoor pool, whirlpool & dry sauna and a free stretch-limousine shuttle from 3 - 11 PM, with service to all area attractions within a 10-minute radius. Wake up to the fabulous views of Bear River Valley and Little Traverse Bay. Book your stay in Petoskey, MI today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Petoskey
- Holiday Inn Petoskey
- Holiday Inn Express Petoskey
- Petoskey Holiday Inn