“still under renovation?”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Huntsville, Texas
“still under renovation?”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Very attractive on the outside, beautifully furnished lobby with couches, fireplace and big TV.
The desk clerk was very pleasant. But when we entered the hallway to go to our room the smell was terrible. Musty with dirty old carpeting, and the walls were bare and unfinished. The stink
made my eyes water. The room had old furniture, one lamp was broken and the bed was hard.
We were told they started renovating last April and it appears to have come to a halt for some
reason. Will definitely never stay at this place again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bloomfield HIlls, Mich USA
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Room was OK in every way, but nothing special. We are travellers who don't spend much time in the room, so decor doesn't matter to us.They are renovating so it's hard to tell what it will be when finished. The pool was large and we would have enjoyed it (all to ourselves) except we didn't bring suits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Can't recommend this motel for any reason, unless just over $100/night is an economic "sweet" spot. I didn't make the reservation, nor did I survey prices of other motels/hotels in the area. I was "along for the ride" with some buds for a golf trip. The wallpaper has been stripped in all the common areas and the carpets are worn and stained (probably a combo of age and the construction). The place has a musty smell in the common areas and the rooms (you can cure it in the room by blasting the below window a/c). It looks like they may have upgraded the bathroom in the rooms as it seemed a bit more modern and clean. They've put flat screens in the rooms as well. So it looks like they are trying to upgrade, but certainly aren't there yet. I've never understood how/why motels/hotels charge their standard rates while they give you substandard accomodations. I can't recommend this place at this time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GregfromDTW

Travelers are raving about these Petoskey hotels

Mi
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I made reservations way back in february for our room for July. We needed a room for the night before our wedding and this was reasonably priced. When I called, I was told that they were remodeling in may and everything would be completely done and brand new before our arrival (since i was looking for a place for the majority of our guests, i thought this sounded great). When we arrived Friday afternoon at 4pm (check in is at 3pm), we were told our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be for a while. Friends of ours had just arrived also and were told the same thing. Our room was not ready until 7pm. My first impression of this hotel was not good at all. It smelled horrible, the carpet was stained and dirty, and the walls were all tore up. The rooms were not clean at all and we didn't even have a bath tub. A couple of our guests had to switch rooms due to bugs and one guest was put in a room with an unmade bed and urine in the toilet, and were then told they couldn't change rooms. I spoke with the lady at the front desk to explain my situation to her and let her know that I would be having about 60 people arriving the following afternoon, all of which had reservations, and that they needed to have their rooms ready by the check ini time (3pm) as my guests needed to be ready for my 6pm wedding. I was told that the rooms were on a first come first serve basis and they couldn't guarantee when they would be ready. Thankfully, all of my guests were able to get in their rooms, although not all of them had towels in their rooms and were told that the hotel did not have enough towels for all of the rooms. All in all, the experience was awful for everyone and just added unneeded stress on my wedding day. The only nice thing about this place was the front porch, which was were most people spent their time since inside was so disgusting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Heather B
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed up there recently on a children's sports trip to the area. Location is great. Rooms were clean. Nothing spectacular. They were doing some remodeling while we were there which could bode well for the future. Pool was nice but the hot tub was not in service while we were there. Breakfast was great for our needs. Cereal, waffles, Clif and Balance bars, breads, english muffins, etc. Great breakfast location right across the street if you desire more than that. The gentleman who was the front desk man was very courteous and went above and beyond to help us out. Overall, good value. Low price. And met those expectations.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We had to travel at the last minute for a funeral, so we weren't terribly picky about where we landed on the New Years Eve weekend - we were thankful to find a hotel. However, we're never going back to the Bay Winds. The room was surprisingly small. The "two queen size beds" were really two full size beds - we could barely fit on them - and they were NOT comfortable. I'm not sure if they cleaned the room regularly because it was kind of dank and I was pulling threads and hair off of the bedspread (yuck!).
The "free breakfast" was pathetic - we ate out, instead. Though the water pressure in the shower was noticeable, there wasn't much water VOLUME to clean off with - and there was no bathtub - to the dismay of our daughter who still likes taking baths. The walls are paper thin (my husband almost went over to knock on the door of our neighbors who were rather loud in their New Years "celebration" - that, or they had a yapping poodle over there).
The pool was fine. The parking lot moderately well maintained for the 3-4" of snow we were walking in. The hallway carpets and stairs were stained and dingy, which didn't inspire faith in the room's cleanliness, either. There are plenty of other places in Petoskey to stay - we thought we might be saving money by staying at the Bay Winds Inn - we'd rather pay the extra $10-20 a night to stay someplace clean and not so run down.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2011

It was summer time and I was at my friend's birthday party. The pool was nice and everything and the rooms were average. We had a room on the second floor and there was really no one staying there that night. Only like 2 people down the hall from us and no one under or next to us. We were fine until the hotel manager called and said we were being too loud and we probably were so we were quiet after that. Then he called again, and again, and again until like 3 in the morning. We were trying to sleep and he was still complaining about us being loud. I don't know if there was someone else being loud in another room and he had mistaken them for us or maybe he just really wanted us out of that hotel. Fed up with the phone calls we just packed up and left that night. My friend was upset that they had ruined her birthday party. O will never stay there again. Probably the worst hotel I've been to.

• Stayed October 2011