“Authentic Mexican in the heart of Petoskey”

Jose's Authentic Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 108 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

If you are hungry in Petoskey, do your taste buds a favor and eat at Jose's. Friendly service, delicious food, and a great view of the Bay. Try the Fr Greg special--a favorite. The tacos are fresh and light. You're making a mistake if you go to LaSeniorita.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We like Mexican, but they are harder to find these days. Just saw this place and had a pleasant dinner.Friendly server, food goo, but basic fairer. Overall, a worthwhile experience.

1  Thank dmather47
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by Jose's with my wife for a lunch highly recommended by someone in the area. My wife had the steak fajitas and loved them. I ordered a barbacoa burrito and a pork tamel. The burrito was awesome, I wish the tamel was more spicy, but I would order them both again. The salsa was very flavorful too. Staff was very friendly. Highly recommend this for anyone who is looking for some great Mexican food.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Jose's is wonderful family run Mexican restaurant, fresh ingredients, prepared when you order it. Do not be fooled by its appearance, the food and the friendly staff make up for the rather ordinary surroundings. I ordered the steak tacos, $7.99 (three tacos, beans, rice and drink of your choice. The tacos were perfect just meat a little lettuce cheese and a special sauce. My wife ordered a chicken burrito's $6.99, it was enormous. We will be returning every time we visit the Petoskey area. If you want authentic Mexican food this is your place. Enjoy!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hmm... maybe I was spoiled, living in Arizona and California for the last decade and having the luxury of going to just about any non-chain Mexican resturant and being able to order the same things, prepared similar, with large portions and their own subtle differences that make them special. Perhaps most of the 5 star reviews this place gets are from tourists that don't know any better. But I must say that I was not impressed with Jose's at all. I have lived in this area for about a year, and have really only found one Mexican resturant that comes close to authentic Mexican. But being in a rush, and wanting to believe I could at least get a burrito that was decent, I decided to try a lunch there.

Bad idea. For starters, the portions are SMALL... I mean Taco Bell small. And the price does not reflect this at all. Tacos El Corporal in Grand Rapids charges less for a wet burrito double the size with free chips and tastes 1000% better (highly recommended if you are in the area). And while we are on the topic of chips, let me say that most places give you chips for free. Jose's charges you a dollar for a small sandwich baggie of chips that taste like what you would buy at Glen's at $2 a pound. The steak tasted like bland ground beef, the burrito as a whole had zero flavor (ever hear of cilantro?), and I had to barter for a second "tiny" cup of tomatillo sauce that they, for some reason, call "salsa". My suggestion? Try El Rancho over by the Casino. If you really want Jose's, save yourself $4 and get Taco Bell because the flavor is about the same. Or better yet, go to the Polish Kitchen next door.

1  Thank DerekB2013117