“An Apple a day”
Review of The Apple Tree Inn

The Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was our fourth stay at the Apple Tree Inn. We liked the view, breakfast, the rooms, the hot tub and the location. It was super cold so we couldn't do wine and cheese on the balcony. We plan on staying there next year for our ski trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2014

The Apple Tree Inn is not a terrible hotel, and easy going travelers probably find it quite acceptable and a great value (which explains the current ratings, in my opinion).

But, I cannot recommend this hotel to families or to discerning travelers. During our ski weekend stay, I noticed several issues that travelers could find bothersome. In particular the arbitrary and inflexible rules the owners impose on the guests (towards the end of my review) are a deal breaker in my opinion.

Here are a few observations:

(a) while breakfast is included, there are only 4 tables in the breakfast area for a hotel with 40 rooms. So, it's over-crowded and many times you end up having to carry your breakfast back to your room. While the breakfast is nice, there aren't any proteins in the offering and waffles are the only hot breakfast option.

(b) Our shower head had four settings, but it was broken so it only flowed in the one setting it was stuck in. The pressure was fine, but it looked like it was long overdue a replacement.

(c) If you have electronic devices, it's difficult to find plugs that are easy to access. We could only find one plug down on floor level between the refrigerator and the TV, and another one behind the night stand (and you have to pull the stand forward to access the plug). If you bring your laptop, you are pretty much out of luck expecting to sit at the table.

(d) The wifi was erratic and slow. It was barely acceptable to check out news and social media, but forget about doing anything productive.

(e) We could hear the people above walking in their room the whole time, so we could tell what time they wake up as well as how often they go to the rest room. Not the best conditions for light sleepers.

(f) The indoor pool was quite cold and the hot tub had so much chlorine in it you could only sit about 5 minutes in there before your eyes started to burn.

Admittedly, none of those are deal breakers. For a hotel of this caliber (i.e., an Inn with no star rating), this is what you would expect in most places.

The real deal breaker for me is the owners and what seems like their completely arbitrary rules, particularly targeting families. Here are a few examples of these rules:

(i) Under 18 cannot enter the fitness room, even with an adult with them.

(ii) They will not put extra beds in the rooms, claiming that it's a part of their "high standards". When I pointed out that even 5 star hotels will put an extra bed, the response of the owner was that I was free to go and stay in one of those hotels but that it would not happen in their hotel.

(iii) This also means that if you have a young child, you cannot stay in a jacuzzi suite (all of which have king beds), since they don't let two parents and a kid sleep in a king bed, nor would they let you put an extra bed in there (or let the kid stay in a sleeping bag -- again another one of their rules).

(iv) They advertise the location of the hotel as in the middle of three great Northern Michigan ski resorts (and have discounts for lift tickets so ask about that in the front desk), but won't let you keep your ski boots in your room (and no storage either). So they expect you to keep them in the car overnight, where they will stay humid and freeze your feet the next morning.

Given these arbitrary rules, my question is why bother? There are many hotels in the area, many of which are much more customer-friendly then this. Yes, it is possible that you won't run into one of these rules, but there is always a chance that there are other arbitrary rules you could potentially run into. Is it really worth the risk when there are so many alternatives?

We think not. We did stay there this time, but will look for another hotel the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: If you are just a couple, the jacuzzi suites are good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Travels_of_TK
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We enjoyed out two nights here on a skiing trip to Boyne Highlands. The hotel was clean and quiet with a pool and hot tub. The pool was a little cool but the hot tub was hot. WiFi worked okay but difficult getting on a couple of times. The continental breakfast was adequate with waffles, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc. No eggs and nothing hot except waffles.

Room Tip: rooms on 2nd floor don't need stairs or elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I booked this hotel through Expedia a few weeks before our Friday to Sunday stay. We had 2 adults and 3 kids in our family. I included this in Expedia and was confirmed for a rate of $129 / night. We arrived around 11pm on Friday tired and ready to go to bed. As I went into the lobby for check-in, I was greeted by a girl in her 20s kindly. She asked how many in the room and I told her. She said that was a problem as it hadn't come through from Expedia, which apparently happens all the time, and they didn't have any rooms for 5. I told her my youngest could sleep on a cot that I brought as this has happened before at other hotels for us. She discussed the issue with I assume the lady owner and then I was told that they were going to charge me $20 more per night for a child that had to sleep on our cot that we brought because she would be eating their breakfast and using their other facilities. I mentioned that this was rediculious given they didn't even have a bed for the child, but obviously, I had nothing I could do at 11pm! So I checked in. The next day's breakfast, that I paid an extra $20 for an 8 year old consisted of store bought muffins and danishes, instant oatmeal packs, dry cereal packages with milk, and the 'make your own' waffle maker. Not a bit of protein in the place! There was a nice Keurig machine, so that was a nice add, but overall, I was really disappointed, especially when I then saw the husband owner walk by the waffle area and reach his dirty hands into the bowl of chocolate chips that were to put on your waffle! Gross!

Then, my husband went to the work out room with my 12 year old son and was told to leave by the owner as no kids were allowed in the work out room. This was never mentioned at check in and was very unfair as the two of them workout using weights at home every other day. It's not like they were doing anything to hurt anything.

Overall, the rooms were clean, but the beds were so uncomfortable that it was a terrible night's sleep.

The owners are so unfriendly that I wouldn't stay there again, and I'm normally all about helping the locals.

Go to the Perry!!! So nice and kind there!!

Room Tip: A good room is at the Perry hotel room downtown!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JenMiTy
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was our 2nd annual ski weekend getaway to Northern Michigan. Each year we've stayed at the Apple Tree Inn and have loved it. We have every intention of continuing this tradition and staying here. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and from the upper floors - have great views. The hospitality is warm and friendly. Breakfasts are nice. Feels like we're staying in the spare room of a friends house rather than a hotel.

Room Tip: We've always stayed on the 4th floor and have had a pretty view of the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet J
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were visiting for a ski weekend at Boyne, and this hotel was booked by my Dad. I didn't know what to expect, but the reviews looked good.

We were extremely impressed! The service was wonderful, the owners were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The hotel, though a little dated, was very clean and well kept. The breakfast was a nice touch.

This is not a Ritz-Carlton, so don't expect a 5-star hotel, but my impression of the hotel was very positive. It was affordable, clean, friendly, well kept, and large rooms. I will certainly stay again, and would refer a friend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Based on the ratings this hotel has received I think my expectations were a little high. Although we did not have any real problems I didn't find anything outstanding about it either. We stayed in the middle of winter so I can't speak for the views. The hotel was clean but a little dated in a charming way. The pool and hot tub were fine and they did provide some pool toys which was a nice touch. They also had a large selection of videos available to watch in the room at no cost.
On the negative side the rooms were not real soundproof (although the hotel was quiet overall, just had some noises late one night from some people coming in late). The breakfast was dissappointing. There was a large selection of pastries and a few fresh fruit options (apples, bananas and oranges) as well as cereal and drinks. However there were no hot options, yogurt, or protein. Additionally there are only 4 small table available for breakfast so we had to eat ours in the lobby using some arm chairs and a coffee table.
Overall it was a good value for the price and no problems with the staff but I would probably try a different option next time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family