“Amazing!”
Review of The Apple Tree Inn

The Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Memorial Holiday weekend. We were really impressed. It was one of the nicest places that we have stayed. There was a huge wedding party staying that same weekend but if we hadn't seen them at breakfast and boarding their ride to the wedding location we would never have known. It was that quiet. Our room was more impressive than I had anticipated. The spa tub was large enough for the two of us, and the king size bed was very comfortable. The staff added special touches to provide us a perfect retreat after a day of enjoying the area. We didn't use the pool, Jacuzzi, or exercise room, but they were impressive for this family run hotel. Oh! And Breakfast! I loved the waffles!

1  Thank Margaret M

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This place is on my short list for Petoskey. It is clean, nicely decorated and has very, very comfortable rooms and beds. For all these features, the price easily could be much more than their room rates actually are. I'll stay here every time I visit Petoskey. I would suggest you ask for a room on the 4th floor. The sound insulation between floors does allow some noise from the room above to come through.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor, the 4th floor.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed for three nights. Beautifully maintained inside and out, very nicely decorated throughout (rooms, hallways, lobby). Small fitness room with great quality equipment, nice pool and hot tub. Breakfast was very nicely displayed, nice variety of items (yogurt would have been nice addition), good coffee, inside and patio seating. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on third floor-nice distant view of the bay
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SassyTwo
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This inn is meticulously clean and very well maintained. Everything was perfect and the breakfast excellant. Owner very helpful and friendly and recommended an excellant restaurant in town. We highly recommend this inn. Price was very reasonable.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I always get nervous when it comes to privately owned hotels, but this one actually awed me.

First of all, what others have said about clean rooms: TRUTH. I'm not saying rooms in other big chains have been dirty, but there was something about this one that was just different. I didn't even see a SMUDGE on the mirror!

The bathroom has one of those heat lamp things....aaahhhh! And..it's SPACIOUS enough. The toilet is not jammed next to the tub like many hotels.

Plenty of space at vanity/sink area and a wide/large area (doorless) to hang clothing. Above that area: a full shelf, which I used to put personal items (hairspray, perfume, etc).

Included: coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, VCR, little soaps, small bottles of lotion, shampoo, makeup remover, shower caps, toothpaste, hair dryer...

Balcony! I thought this was a cool feature. It isn't just every hotel has these (liability issues). It's not large like one you may find in an apartment, but it's very sufficient. 2 chairs, a small table, and ample room to walk without crawling over things (some people exaggerate in reviews). We saw the lake/bay, but you've got to keep in mind you are NOT ON the lake! OF COURSE you will see the Kohl's across the street, etc...but it's not like you are in Detroit or Chicago with loud traffic and obnoxious skyscrapers, for crying out loud. If you want to see ONLY water, go fork out more money and stay at the Bayview then.

The beds were fine. They weren't too hard and they weren't too soft. I LOVED the fact there was more than one blanket. Most hotels have the bed spread, top sheet, and one blanket. Here, you get a thinner down-alternative type comforter and another type of blanket, as well. Nope...I was NOT cold (and it was in the 30s for highs w/snow).

Granted, some edges are wearing paint on dresser/night stand, but this isn't hardly noticeable. I only noticed because it was mentioned HERE before we checked in, so naturally I looked. It TRULY isn't a huge deal and I am VERY picky where I stay (especially when a rack rate nears the $100 mark).

I didn't use the pool, but my husband and kids did. I was told it was COLD (73-ish). I don't know if that's cold or not for a pool, but my husband always had his around 80. With that being said, he also said it was one of the nicer pools he's seen in a hotel.

Breakfast wasn't great, but I believe it's not supposed to be a "full breakfast" type of thing? I didn't go down (I slept in)..I only know what my husband mentioned. They ended up going out.

At the breakfast area, MANY MANY video tapes of ALL kinds! We weren't in the room long enough to use the VCR, but I'm completely guessing these tapes were for guest use! Not sure if there are extra fees or not, but if you are there in the winter or have rain in the summer: BONUS!

Nobody bothered us and it was very quiet while we were there (pre-summer season). Staff wasn't rude as someone mentioned earlier...but a man (whom I'm guessing is the owner?) isn't exactly engaging. I had to initiate more convo with him to get in order for him to be more on a personal level. I don't believe it's because of rudeness or arrogance (at least that's what I got), but just a personality type. Maybe to "stay out of others' business"? Maybe he's insecure? I don't know, but once I talked a little more on a personal level, he was more relatable and even said "Please come back and see us" in, what appeared to be, a genuine manner.

Do I think it's a $100/ night hotel? No. Not when I've gotten a Residence Inn in Livonia for $80 plus FULL breakfast. But THIS is PETOSKEY. You are paying for location and the lake! I bet this rate soars as of Memorial Day!

Would I stay again? Absolutely with no hesitations.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank natgoss
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Visited the Petoskey area for 3 days, 2 nights and found this place through an internet search and reading reviews of several places, then choosing the Apple Tree Inn. We were not disappointed and in fact, very pleasantly surprised and pleased we had chosen here to stay. It is not "brand new", but in many respects it is better than new. The entire facility and grounds as well as the room Itself are very clean, tastefully decorated, well-maintained and nicely appointed - welcoming in appearance and not as "sterile" as some other newer places we've stayed around the country.

By example, the computer room on our floor (3rd) had two computers and printers on opposing tables with comfortable chairs, decorative pictures on the walls (not "K-Mart") and a very nice floral arrangement on a side table - touches we've seldom seen elsewhere. The beds were very comfortable, bedding exceptionally nice and fresh, carpeting clean, no molds, mildews or other nastiness's in the bathroom - I guess the best way to describe our experience is to say nothing seemed "shop worn" as can often be the case.

After our return, we learned from some friends who visit Petoskey yearly to play golf in the Fall have stayed here for many years with always a positive experience, similar to ours. Another plus, is this is privately owned, not part of a chain and their personal interest and commitment shows through. Thanks for a nice stay, Larry. We'll be back another time for certain. The Z's.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

First visit to this property and one word to summarize the value: amazing!

Was excited yet apprehensive based on the super low price and found the experience to far exceed my expectations.

Clean rooms and facilities. Friendly staff, great view of the bay, and a nice little breakfast included. Waffles, fruit, pastries, keurig coffee, milk, juice, and breads.

Décor of rooms is what you would expect for the price. Bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room with bay view.
1  Thank Dash242