“Go for the pizza - friendliness of hostess is questionable”
Review of Papa Lou's - CLOSED

Papa Lou's
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Pensacola, Florida
“Go for the pizza - friendliness of hostess is questionable”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Contrary to the other reviews, our waitress who served us for the night was very friendly and pleasant. She recommended us a great appetizer (fried zucchini) and we had two pizzas (hawaiian and pepperoni). The food was all delicious. The pizzas came in a timely fashion.

Our one gripe is that the hostess who was in the front of the restaurant seemed very unfriendly. She could have been a Kristen Stewart impersonator, with the same scowl and not amused look.

2 Thank Vanessa Y

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Glad we didn't read the reviews first - We really liked it!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We saw the open patios on the backside of Papa Lou's and decided to eat there before we read the reviews on TripAdvisor - and boy are we glad! The outdoor seating was great. Nice view of the Bay and live accoustic music made for a perfect setting. The food was also very good. We started with the Buffalo Chicken dip which was very good. My wife had the chicken picata (which she gets many places) and really enjoyed it. I got the "land fill" 10" pizza and really liked it. We thought the prices for everything were very reasonable.
But, I can see what people were saying about most of the staff. Our waiter was very friendly and attentive. But the host and hostess had scowls on their faces and seemed almost upset that we wanted to eat there. Very strange.

1 Thank Geoff M
“Services without a smile.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This pizza places has all the tools to succeed but the service is awful. The staff, especially the front end was overwhelmed. The host was clueless to give a correct time for seating. We waited for well over an hour of our wait time. The waitress we had seemed more interested in rushing us out then giving is good customer service. The food portions were small and the pizza was undercooked. The staff was not fiendly, customer service was poor, and food was well below average.

1 Thank miforlife
Yorkville, Illinois
“Should have read the reviews”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I didn't read any of the reviews before visiting this place, but feel validated for walking out the door before we were seated. My wife and I visited this restaurant around 8:00 on a Thursday night. There wasn't many people in the restaurant nor did it seem very busy. However, for some reason that didn't seem to have a table available. We decided to have a drink at the bar before being seated. There was two other patrons at the bar, but I couldn't seem to get the bartenders attention. He finally came over, I asked him how he was doing. He said, OK, and walked away to wait on another patron. He waited on the other patron, fiddled around with the cash register and ignored us. I looked over at my wife, said this guy has pissed me off, and we walked out the door.

Royal Oak, MI
“Poor service, decent pizza”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

If this was based solely on service and server attitude, I'd give this a 1. I'm only 'upgrading' it because the pizza was pretty damn good. But that's it.

I don't know what our server's issue was. Apparently, asking for things like plates and napkins is fairly unheard of. Every request was met with an attitude. We wanted to push some tables together on an empty back porch at 3pm and that was out of the question because, as we were told, 'the hostess wouldn't allow it.' Took forever to get the only beer ordered at the table. Water refills took forever. I just don't get it. If you don't want to serve people, just close down the joint, ok?

1 Thank TrickyKid75