“An ok change from typical northern Michigan fare.”
Review of La Senorita

La Senorita
Ranked #85 of 102 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“An ok change from typical northern Michigan fare.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was the third time over the years we've eaten in La Senorita. The menu is what you would expect. The sauces are hotter than I expect of a Mexican restaurant in this area of Michigan and actually are hotter than many I've had in the southwest. This trip I had the smaller chicken burrito. I appreciate the fact that they have the smaller option as the usual burrito dinner in a Mexican restaurant leaves enough for another meal for me. The burrito was very good and the rice good enough. The refried beans were tasty and not greasy. My wife had the carnitas. This is a pork fajita and normally comes with some form of salsa as a sauce. The carnitas at La Senorita are prepared in a barbeque sauce which my wife didn't care for. The décor is nice and the service was good. The prices are reasonable and portions large.

• Visited June 2013

Denver, Colorado
“The food wasn't very good but it didn't kill us”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

To be fair, this was not our first choice for lunch. It wasn't even our second or third choice. But we were in Petoskey on a Sunday and all of the places we wanted to try were closed. We were starving and tired of driving in circles looking for someplace so decided to go to La Senorita. We walked in an there was nobody there to greet or seat us. After a few minutes I stuck my head into the bar to get someone's attention so we could get seated. The hostess said, "just a minute," and went into the dining room to see what tables were available, leaving us standing there. She then called to us from the dining room and we followed her to a table.

The menu here is small; Mexican restaurants typically have a very large selection of items (even if they are all variations on the same thing). This place had the basics (burritos, fajitas, quesadillas) and a small selection of American dishes for those who don't like Mexican. We had one burrito with shredded beef and one with pork. The beef was dry and tasteless and the only thing in the burrito with it was some lettuce and pepper that had been warmed with the beef. On top of it was a dense gloppy brown sauce that lacked taste and just a little cheese. No sour cream or guac, no taste. The pork burrito was the same and the pork was equally tasteless. Both burritos were served with the standard refried beans and rice.

Service was good - the server promptly brought us chips and salsa and refilled them for us. She also returned to check on us after we received our meals. I did appreciate the fact that they offer two sizes of burritos as the standard size is usually way too big for me. But overall it was a pretty tasteless meal and not even up to the standards of the dozens of boring Mexican restaurants you usually find in a big suburb or city. The food won't kill you but it's just pretty boring and tasteless.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Laura A
“Never again!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

First of all, our waiter was on some kind of amphetamines.... He was all over the place. We sat down to eat at 10:30 pm, the restaurant closed at midnight, i felt like the waiter was trying to rush us. We ordered queso dip, found a huge black hair at the bottom of the dip, after we ate almost the entire bowl, gross! The waiter did take the queso dip off the bill, I would have at least thought he would comp us a drink. I ordered the fajita salad... But they served it to me in a taco salad shell, it basically only had the chicken, lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers.. No cheese, no olives... Very poor presenting salad. I will never go back!

1 Thank TraciK821
Roscommon, Michigan
“Good Mexican food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stopped in for a quick lunch. Service was a little slow but food was good. My husband and girls split a sampler platter with food to spare. I had the chicken tortialla soup. The barn wood on the walls/ceiling adds a nice touch to the atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
Petoskey, Michigan
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a place to get good food and the atmosphere is fun. I know it's a local fav since I usually see someone I know.

Visited February 2012