“Great store, great cafe!”
Review of American Spoon

American Spoon
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Petoskey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Their store is wonderful, lots of samples out for you to try before you buy. They even cooked a delicious ravioli in their kitchen for samples to customers. A lot of unique and delicious and sauces, jams and toppings. Their cafe is a cute little place with delicious gelato and a hot toddy to die for (hot apple cider, bourbon and spices).

There are newer reviews for American Spoon

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the American Spoon for lunch with friends. The atmosphere was super quaint and I loved the decor. Very clean and vintage with some industrial touches. The food options allowed me to branch out a bit. They make their own preserves and incorporate that with their food entrees. I had the turkey panini and my husband had the burger. Our friends had the pulled pork and the pumpkin curry soup. We all enjoyed our choices-- I kind of wished I had picked the burger as well, but my sandwich was still good. Not a fan of the pickled onions and fig jam together with the sandwich (maybe by themselves). I really loved the Brie and the crunch of the bread. Overall a good choice! Wish we had saved room for the gelato!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is one of the best stores in all of Petoskey! They have some of the best stuff ever. They sell essentially what they make in the restaurant next door to create yourself. If you like pancakes, do not pass up the malt pancake mix, and then ask for the recipe from the restaurant, which they will print for you. There is so much to sample and choose from in this place, you'll be in there for a while. When in Petoskey, be sure to go here.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

On Day #10 of our Lake Michigan Circle Tour brought us to Petoskey where our choice for lunch was again based on Internet research. It proved to be an excellent one.

It appears to not be very old with an interesting exterior and nicely designed interior. It might be properly called an “upscale” eatery; the word yuppie comes to mind. My wife ordered a chicken sandwich. It was open faced and made with rye bread tartine with radish, spring onion, fava beans, crispy skin buttermilk & tarragon. (The “copy & paste” feature sure is handy, isn’t it?). Her sandwich came with glazed green beans.

I had a sandwich called "Salumi", made with proscuitto, capicola, soppresata, provolone, chili jam and kale. The chili jam made it a bit messy but the toasted, crusty bread did not get soggy. In a word, my sandwich was awesome - very likely the best I have had in my entire life. My side was a somewhat unusual presentation of potato salad - a bit different but very tasty.

We each had a two-flavored gelato for dessert. My wife picked chocolate almond and something called zabagalione. I chose banana creme caramel and toasted marshmellow.

While a bit more expensive than a lot of places, the quality of the food, and its presentation was first rate (the food described above plus lemonade and ginger ale cost 42 bucks, including tax and gratuity). We would not hesitate to eat here again should we happen by this place in the future.

1  Thank joan&mike
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Out side seating was charming as it is next to a small shady park with lovely walnut trees. Iced coffee was delicious on a hot day. Burger was yummy (how can you miss with tasty bun, cheddar and bacon, apple and onion chutney). Every thing was fresh.Service was a little spotty....we never did get a glass of water we requested, which was strange as the waitress with a water pitcher asked us twice but we had no glasses!