“Good Food, OK View”

Twisted Olive
Ranked #12 of 107 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Coastal Mediterranean with a Northern Michigan twist. Sunday we open at 8AM
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Two of my friends and I had lunch at the Twisted Olive Cafe the other day. Our food was very good, my friends each tried the cauliflower soup and said it was very good. They also tried the Mediterranean salad and they said it was delicious with lots of chicken and just the right amount of dressing. Their salads were served with orzo on the side. I had the mixed greens with shrimp and asparagus and it too was very good. It was served with 3 large shrimp and plenty of grilled asparagus on top of fresh spring greens and a nice side of dressing.

The dining room; however, was extremely loud and small. It was an unusually hot day for this area, and the dining room air conditioner could not keep up with the heat so it was very hot in the restaurant. Our server was good for a very young server, but he kept having to come back to the table to ask us what we ordered, from water to food. I wish he would have written the order down. The time it took us to get our salads was way too long, you would have thought that we'd ordered full course meals. The prices for a salad were OK, but given the acoustics and heat of the room, I would rate this restaurant just average. There are plenty of other very good restaurants in the area.

3  Thank Sue H

Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Loved everything about this place. The atmosphere was perfect and the menu to die for. My mom & I each had a salad and they were excellent and well worth the wait. We loved visiting petoskey and this was our favorite place to eat

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had an hour between playing 36 holes of golf and went into Petoskey to have lunch.
The restaurant we were going to eat at was closed on Sunday. As we were looking over the town guide, a local resident came up to us and when I mentioned I was a vegetarian,
she suggested the Twisted Olive. She said they used only local and mostly organic foods.

The Veggie Burger Wrap has to be one of the best sandwiches I have eaten in 25 years
of being a vegetarian. It is not store bought and not pre-processed. Totally homemade
and out of this world delicious. It is not on a bun but in a wrap. It was also served with a
small side of hummus that was very yummy.

My three golfing buddies are not vegetarians. They also LOVED their food.
One had the beef kabobs, and the other two had the turkey rueben. They all said
they would definitely want to eat here again.

The portions are large for all their choices. So be prepared not only to love what you
order but leave feeling full and happy.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We went early for breakfast, and we were able to dine outside. Food was excellent. I ordered the quiche, and it was great - very generous portions. My husband ordered an omelet. The waiter (young male, college age - we do not remember his name, but he will be studying nursing in the fall) was very courteous and friendly. Dining inside would be a treat also, as the view of the bay is incredible. The baked goods looked wonderful, although we did not try them due to the size of breakfast. This is the type of restaurant and service that brings you back to the area. It appears that all the staff are hard working, young people. Very good mixture of modern look and cuisine, with polite staff. Really a great choice!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I hadn't visited Petoskey in almost four years, so while perusing through the Petoskey Dining Guide, I discovered the Twisted Olive. Looking at the menu, it seemed custom-made for me: Mediterranean-inspired breakfasts and lunches served up with a great view of the Little Traverse Bay. We ate at the Twisted Olive Cafe three times in a week, twice for breakfast and once for lunch. Their omelettes, quiches, and truffled potatoes are amazing. I also wanted to try their French toast, but didn't have the chance this visit.

The lunch menu was just as delicious; one member of my party had the grilled Gulf shrimp and asparagus salad, another had the Mediterranean chicken salad, and I had the grilled cheese. Now, I probably haven't had a grilled cheese in ten years, but this one caught my eye due to the addition of feta married with cheddar and provolone on sourdough. It was easily the best grilled cheese I've ever had, with the perfect balance of cheese to crisp sourdough.

Many of the ingredients are locally sourced, and there are unusual drink choices like housemade sodas in honey lavender or basil-mint in addition to canned sodas, organic coffee, teas and hot chocolate (be sure to try the Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa (Blood Orange) if you're a fan of Orangina). There are also house-made baked goods and desserts (we didn't have any room left over to sample them since the portions are very generous!).

From the top-notch servers to the presentation (beautiful plating, and the tilted Libbey glasses were so cute I had to go out and buy some for myself :-) and setting, the Twisted Olive Cafe is a real gem. The staff go out of their way to be accommodating and remembered us on subsequent visits. The view is amazing, but be sure to make a reservation and show up early since the dining room is relatively small (on the upside, since there are fewer tables, you'll have a spectacular view from just about anywhere in the main dining room). I look forward to many more visits to the Twisted Olive Cafe in the future (I believe they'll be open for dinner in the near future...and that French toast has my name on it :-).