“Food 10, Atmosphere 0”

Chandler's A Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chandler's A Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 107 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Petoskey, Chandler's - A Restaurant is a cozy and inviting place nestled behind Symons General Store. Chef Tommy creatively crafts seasonal menus and daily specials which offer a delightful selection of local fare, fresh fish, sushi and entrees prepared to perfection. We also proudly feature an extensive wine list and fun and unique cocktails such as the "Howard Street Punch" and "Awesome Coffee", that is sure to please any palate. For a change of scenery, guests can enjoy dining in our Wine Cellar where they are surrounded by the 4,000 bottle collection that serves both Chandler's and Symons General Store. Our Wine Cellar seats up to 54 guests and is available for private parties and special events. Enjoy live music every Friday and Saturday evening and in the summertime, dine on our outdoor patio and enjoy evening, live music every night of the week.
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This was a strange experience. From the food side of things, the food was absolutely first rate. Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinners (duck for me, chicken for her). The have an extensive wine list and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. However, there are some things you should be aware of. The atmosphere level and food quality simply don’t match. The place is not cheap by any means but the dining room is more “burgers and brew” than “sautéed duck breast with purple sticky rice”. And it is definitely not a place for a romantic dinner. The crowd at the bar (which is in the dining room) was so noisy we had to strain to hear each other talk. No “indoor voices” here. And the bar scene was something to watch. Two women were so loud and catty; they must have been auditioning for the “Real Housewives of Petoskey”! The rest of the crowd at the bar was, simply put, drunk - stumbling over each other and into diner’s tables. All in all, if the same food was served in a different place, it would have been a great experience. As it was, it wasn’t.

1  Thank hudsonbob

Reviewed May 26, 2011

My wife was hoping for a restaurant with linen tablecloths and the Perry Hotel's restaurant wasn't open for dinner, so we went to Chandler's. It was an unexpected treat for me: I'm not usually impressed by fancy restaurants. But Chandler's is such an intimate little spot I found myself charmed with it. My only complaint is that there aren't noise-absorbing materials in the restaurant. The enthusiastic young people at the bar seemed noisier than I might have cared for; but they did not take away from our enjoyment of, possibly, the best steak I have ever had. Our waitress was wonderful and the meal-proportions were perfect. We left the restaurant satisfied and happy.

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Here's the deal: Chandler's is and will always be super overpriced. Their kitchen staff is pretty well trained, but the average entree cost far exceeds the true value of what you get.

That said, Chandler's does a pretty good job with menu variety. You will likely have a chance to eat dishes found nowhere else in Petoskey and quite possibly Northern Michigan.

The wait staff is underwhelming, though they have one of the better bartenders I've encountered in Rich. If you wish to come here to drink you can't go wrong with Rich.

This place is probably suitable for date night, though you won't have a quiet table as none exist. If you are a wine connoisseur you will probably enjoy this place. If you are food connoisseur you may have a 50/50 chance of enjoying it.

I would suggest eating elsewhere in Petoskey (Rose Room at Staffords, City Park Grill, The Side Door) for a better food value, particularly if you are not impressed by exotic dishes. I would suggest coming here for after-dinner drinks, particularly if Rich is working, as he is sure to entertain you (provided you can find room at the bar.)

1  Thank gnarr2
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with Chandler's. I love going there. I recommend eating at the bar. Rich and Christian are the best bartenders. Food is way too expensive and portions are getting smaller and smaller each time I go in. I've had some killer steaks in Chandlers but way overpriced-$45. Great place to meet someone for a drink and people watch.

1  Thank Wife2Foodie
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The service was good and the food was wonderful. The menu was hard to understand but the prices were excessive for the ambiance.

I enjoyed the food but did not believe I received a dining experience that matched the bill. I would recomment the restauant for special occasions and a romantic evening. The food exceeds the quality of most good restaurants and for a small town you will experience a big city quality dining experience.