“The best is expensive”

Chandler's A Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chandler's A Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 102 Restaurants in Petoskey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Petoskey, Chandler's - A Restaurant is a cozy and inviting place nestled behind Symons General Store. Chef Tommy creatively crafts seasonal menus and daily specials which offer a delightful selection of local fare, fresh fish, sushi and entrees prepared to perfection. We also proudly feature an extensive wine list and fun and unique cocktails such as the "Howard Street Punch" and "Awesome Coffee", that is sure to please any palate. For a change of scenery, guests can enjoy dining in our Wine Cellar where they are surrounded by the 4,000 bottle collection that serves both Chandler's and Symons General Store. Our Wine Cellar seats up to 54 guests and is available for private parties and special events. Enjoy live music every Friday and Saturday evening and in the summertime, dine on our outdoor patio and enjoy evening, live music every night of the week.
Tennessee
“The best is expensive”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My wife was hoping for a restaurant with linen tablecloths and the Perry Hotel's restaurant wasn't open for dinner, so we went to Chandler's. It was an unexpected treat for me: I'm not usually impressed by fancy restaurants. But Chandler's is such an intimate little spot I found myself charmed with it. My only complaint is that there aren't noise-absorbing materials in the restaurant. The enthusiastic young people at the bar seemed noisier than I might have cared for; but they did not take away from our enjoyment of, possibly, the best steak I have ever had. Our waitress was wonderful and the meal-proportions were perfect. We left the restaurant satisfied and happy.

• Visited May 2011

Petoskey, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Bartender, Underwhelming Food.”
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Here's the deal: Chandler's is and will always be super overpriced. Their kitchen staff is pretty well trained, but the average entree cost far exceeds the true value of what you get.

That said, Chandler's does a pretty good job with menu variety. You will likely have a chance to eat dishes found nowhere else in Petoskey and quite possibly Northern Michigan.

The wait staff is underwhelming, though they have one of the better bartenders I've encountered in Rich. If you wish to come here to drink you can't go wrong with Rich.

This place is probably suitable for date night, though you won't have a quiet table as none exist. If you are a wine connoisseur you will probably enjoy this place. If you are food connoisseur you may have a 50/50 chance of enjoying it.

I would suggest eating elsewhere in Petoskey (Rose Room at Staffords, City Park Grill, The Side Door) for a better food value, particularly if you are not impressed by exotic dishes. I would suggest coming here for after-dinner drinks, particularly if Rich is working, as he is sure to entertain you (provided you can find room at the bar.)

1 Thank gnarr2
Petoskey, Michigan
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with Chandler's. I love going there. I recommend eating at the bar. Rich and Christian are the best bartenders. Food is way too expensive and portions are getting smaller and smaller each time I go in. I've had some killer steaks in Chandlers but way overpriced-$45. Great place to meet someone for a drink and people watch.

1 Thank Wife2Foodie
Alpena, MI
“Great food”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The service was good and the food was wonderful. The menu was hard to understand but the prices were excessive for the ambiance.

I enjoyed the food but did not believe I received a dining experience that matched the bill. I would recomment the restauant for special occasions and a romantic evening. The food exceeds the quality of most good restaurants and for a small town you will experience a big city quality dining experience.

atlanta
“Palm Beach meets olde England?”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Think rich folks on fresh rather than salt water. Throw in a touch of olde London wine bar and you have Chandler's in the heart of the very ritzy Petoskey shops. If you enter from the main gourmet deli upstairs the rickety stairs take you thru the wine cellar (but there is an easier side entrance and the dining area still will give you wine cellar ambiance). We had lunch there and admired the clientele who looked much richer than us. Hey. Maybe they thought THAT about us. Well prepared relatively limited lunch menu of fine sandwiches and such. Charming and attentive staff. Gives you an instant feeling of wealth and well being without too outrageous cost. Seemed a place to be seen for locals enjoying the end of summer. Betcha Palm Beach beckons most when the snows come though