“The Links and Quarry a very good golf courses.”

Bay Harbor Golf Club
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This Arthur Hill-designed course has 27 holes in a dramatic setting on Little Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan.
Reviewed September 12, 2009

My husband and I enjoyed the Links and Quarry Courses at Bay Harbor. Ladies be sure to select the best tees for your handicap. The Links course is very scenic as are several holes on the Quarry. Pay attention to the GPS and pointers. Excellent Pro Shop!

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"pace"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2009

I loved this course. It is very challenging. The greens are tough - we took to calling some of the green designs "just plain mean".

The course is gorgeous. We played the Quarry, then the Links. The Quarry runs through an abandoned quarry, with lots of elevation changes. Tough holes. Great 9 holes. Some wonderful views of Little Traverse Bay. Gorgeous.

The Links is even better. Beautiful holes. Mean-spirited greens. Some tough, narrow drives to fairways. Numerous holes along the water of Little Traverse Bay. Gorgeous.

The only place I've seen prettier holes along the coast is in southern California.

I paid $99 for the >2pm rate for 18 holes. That's one of the best $100 I've ever spent.

Memorable course. Challenging course, Beautiful course. DO NOT miss a chance to play it...!

Reviewed December 12, 2007

Bay Harbor was the last stop on our Northern Michigan golf trip (having already played the Hills and Heather at Boyne). We thought that it would be a good finishing course, and we weren’t disappointed. Easily one of the best Michigan golf courses I’ve ever played.

There are three nine’s to choose from (27 holes total), but through our research (I’m a planner, through and through), we found that the most scenic were The Links 9 and The Quarry 9. Not having seen the third (The Preserve), I can’t judge whether or not we missed anything, but suffice it to say that we were very happy with the views and quality of golf.

The Links 9 starts out on with an uphill par 4, that, upon reaching the green, you can see Lake Michigan, and Bay Harbor proper. What a beautiful sight.

The third hole has a split fairway, which is always fun. There’s a wide, safe route on the right, and a thin, difficult fairway on the left, which borders a steep slope. It was way too early for me to play aggressive, so I opted for the right.

There are two par 3’s on the front, and both offer a decision for club selection (both are downhill, and with Lake Michigan so close, the wind is always a factor), and wonderful views of the lake. We had already gotten out money’s worth, and hadn’t even seen the Quarry!

And what a 9 the Quarry is: It starts our simple enough, with a couple holes that, while testing, wouldn’t be on the top of the list of scenic views. Then, as we got to the third tee, we started to see what would become some of the most scenic golf of our lives. The third is a par 5, with the green separated from the fairway by some OB, and a large bunker in front of it. As you get further into this hole, you start getting a glimpse of the lake again.

As you approach the 4th tee (riding over a very long bridge), Lake Michigan is in full view, and you’re heading right towards it. There’s also a small lake on the right-hand side, so don’t be too distracted that you push it!

The green of the fifth has a cut-out of the Quarry as a quasi-backstop for the green. Of course, if you hit it, you’re going to be sorry, but visually, it makes for a great approach. There’s also water in front of the green, so this is one of the more precise approaches on this 9.

The sixth is one of my favorite types of holes: Risk/reward. Only 300 yards, it allows you to either lay-up, or go for it. By this time in my round, my score was painful enough that I decided to go for it! The outcome? Let me just say that I was glad I hit a provisional.

The greens for the 7th, 8th and 9th holes are all along the Lake. I’ve yet to see a stronger finish visually on a golf course in my life. I think I took 10 pictures of each hole.

Bay Harbor Golf Club isn’t going to make any of the “lowest priced golf course” lists, but if you enjoy Michigan golf as much as I do, this is easily on the ”must play” list. In addition, my wife noted that the bathrooms were immaculate, and the course, while difficult for her, easily made up for it with the great views. This was her favorite of the three Boyne courses we played, and I’d have to agree.

2  Thank danperrydotcom
Reviewed October 4, 2004

Beautiful, clean, manicured, staff was well informed and we had a fanastic trip. Hightly recommend

3  Thank SueH