“Nice Cottage”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise
Curley's Paradise Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Paradise
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was worried when I read all the bad reviews. We stayed at the 2 bedroom cottage which was $155 a night with a $10 discount for AAA members. One room had 2 full sized beds and the other one had a queen sized bed. The room with the queen sized room had no heat so it was cold during the night if you kept your door closed. The other rooms were heated well. I liked that our living room had a fireplace and it was very spacious. Everything else worked fine. The shower is small and the water is well water. We didn't see any mold in the rooms as others had mentioned.

I didn't have a great experience with the owner (an old woman). She never asked how many people we had and I forgot to tell her we had six. The website said that the cottages hold up to six people. So we had to be upgraded to a larger cottage which cost about $30 more per night. When I went to pay, I requested that nobody comes into our cottage to clean and she said that they couldn't do that; that they cleaned the bathrooms everyday and need to change the seats. This was very bizarre so I insisted that they DO NOT come in. All other hotels and places allow you to do that. I just didn't trust anyone coming in when we have so many expensive electronics.

She was nice to let our dog stay in the cottage even though they have signs saying no dogs are allowed to be left inside the cottage without someone to watch them. She just said that we are responsible for any damages made which is fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Karen C

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I chose this place to stay on a whim and we were very pleased with it. We had the most peaceful night's sleep in a hotel/motel EVER! It was comfortable, clean, and we thought the view of Lake Superior was outstanding. We were there at the height of the foliage change in October and thought the grounds were beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kris S
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here Aug. 23rd-26th, couldn't get in to our first choice and needed a place that was PET FRIENDLY. They do NOT charge extra for dogs. It's what you'd expect for a local ma and pa motel. Our room was small but clean, no odors and it faced the bay. Beautiful view. Owner Lynda was super friendly, she left treats in the room for our doggies and even walked to where we were sitting by the fence overlooking the lake the second day to give "our girls" dog bones. Yes, it could use some updating-hate the bedspreads so many places use but I've seen worse decor. Bed was very comfortable which is a major deal for me, could use new sheets-scratchy and fitted one had a hole in it. Place appeared to be full both weekend nights so that says something. You can't beat the view but it would be nice to have more seating by the fence-those lounge chairs in someone's older pic are NOT there, the only double white wooden bench is in serious need of repair. Good thing we brought our lawn chairs with us. Overall an adequate place for a brief stay at a reasonable price, you don't go to this area to stay at your motel during the day!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GmaDK
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed here during the Blueberry festival, made a reservation about 3 months before the actual stay. When we arrived they told us we missed our reservation, and that we were supposed to be there the night before. Fortunately we had a piece of paper with the owners hand writing, with what I can only assume was a confirmation number, that proved us right they were "full", but we were able to get the room we originally booked. It was cruddy, sort of dirty & dingy. It was a 2 room suite.. if you can call it that. We were able to enjoy a bonfire on the "sandy beach" ..it's grass. But it was a beautiful view and reasonably price. It was okay, it was a small (very small) town motel, can't expect much more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTJK3311
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The motel itself wasn't too bad, a bit small in room size. It was also very pricey but I guess the summer is their season and they need to make a living. There are a few firepits though most belong to the areas next door and not to the motel. The view in the back is breath taking! Lake superior is back there and the sand there is super clean as well as the water. I went there on the night of july 5th and for a while the moon was really high up on the horizon and was super red and you can hear waves and see lake superior. one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in my life. Besides that not a bad place. office is nice, but the family that owns it is decent. Long waits and one old lady snapped at me for wanting a towel at 3am (they didn't have one in the room and we went hiking all day and then to the bar so I wanted to shower before sleeping...) All in all I would go there again mainly for the scenery in the back

Room Tip: If possible pick a room in the back since thats where the Lake is
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel is located right on Whitefish Bay. We stayed for one night and the swim in Whitefish Bay was awesome. Nice hard sand and CLEAN water. This is a motel, NOT a Hampton INN. A place to sleep that is reasonable, walking to several local eating establishments and a friendly welcome. They provide coffee in the rooms and ice in the main lobby.

Room Tip: You can ask for a road side room or one that looks at Whitefish Bay.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2012

First, the owners were very pleasant and provided good information in terms of the area. The actual location of this motel is beautiful however, it is extremely unfortunate that the owners don't realize the gem they have and invest some money into upkeep and cleaning supplies. We had two rooms (#35 & 36) for one night and both were equally disgusting! The bathrooms were obviously not cleaned since there was still hair in the shower and on the floor and the room smelled horrible (You can see the attached photo of the chair that was in room). I've read some of the other reviews and I can only guess (and hope) that some rooms had been updated because clearly ours was not. Unfortunately we arrived late and needed a place to stay and had no other choice. (I actually slept in my clothes!)

Please look elsewhere for a room or look at the room before you decide to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012

Been to Curley's Paradise Motel? Share your experiences!