New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“What Fun!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saunders Sunrise Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paradise
Saunders Sunrise Cabins
Whittier, California
“What Fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband, mother and I stayed at Saunders Sunrise Cabins in June 2012. We drove past on the way to the Museum on Whitefish Bay. At first we thought, "Oh my" because they looked small; but once inside we thought, “What Fun!” The cabins look out onto the lake so the view is spectacular. The cabins are clean and well stocked. They were very homey and we could tell much care was put into making them comfortable. The Wi-Fi kept me in touch with a problem at work and the fire pit kept us warm by the lake as we watched the sun set. I strongly recommend these cabins. Hosts, Chris and Robin were great.

Room Tip: Great for families. Quaint
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jackie T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
fayette, ms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Six darling little housekeeping cabins on Whitefish Bay near the point in eastern UP. If you want a vacation where you can live with the lake, swim on a luscious all sand beach with the warmer water of the bay, watch freighters in the distance, enjoy campfires with neighbors and the owners, this is it. Close by Shipwreck Museum, an agate beach there, Tahquamenon Falls and one hour from Sault Ste. Marie locks. Kayaks and rowboats provided. We enjoy the summers there, but they assure us winter is fun with snowmobiles. We stayed five nights and hated to leave. The hosts, Robin and Chris make you feel welcome and special.

Room Tip: Describe your family and they will choose the best cabin for you
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ConstantComment
Westland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

Although I missed last November we have been setting up our amateur radio station at cabin #1 for the previous four years. We commorate the sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald the first weekend of November. We represent the Stu Rockerfellow Amateur Radio Society from Plymouth, MI. Addition members set up their stations at the Whitefish Poiint Lighthouse. We are contacted by other amateurs around the world, usualy around 300-400 contacts. Chris and Robin are great hosts. Chris will lend a helping hand when needed. The new heating system is great. We hang antennas from the trees and any other tall structure(lightpost). We are always welcome and enjoy receiving holiday cards from them knowing they remember and enjoy us.
Signed,
The Radio Guys.
Dave and Chuck

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank k8edr
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

The cabin was very cute and cozy. I enjoyed the couch and the beds were nice and firm. The furnace was a bit loud, but it kept us warm. Since it is a cabin, I suggest one brings slippers for the winter time because the floors are cold (I thought of this before hand). Cabin #4 did not have an oven, so we were not able to cook the pizzas we brought, but in the guest book for the cabin, someone mentioned that the owners cooked a pizza for them. I'd say that's service!
I see many people complaining about the dated furnishings and the lack of things to do for city people (I call them Cit-iots), but I loved it and I had plenty of things to do. It's a cabin and it's supposed to be rustic. And go outside... there are plenty of things to do there!!!!
I had a GREAT time and I plan on going back this summer!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Schmaron
Kalamazoo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We originally booked 2 days. We left after the first day... first thing in the morning. Our kids were even freaked out. The lake was beautiful and kayaking/ canoeing was tons of fun. However we dreaded going back into the cabin. It was sort of clean, but none of us wanted to sit down. Everything was so old and used. The side of the cabin that faces the lake had non- operating windows. Imagine 90 degrees, no breeze, and flies galore. yuck! This place could be soooo beautiful. With a little upgrading, some nice front windows and ceiling fans, new flooring, and a couch cover, this place would be fine.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MAZALFLL
Woodbridge VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

We've stayed several times with Chris and Robin. They always welcome our standard poodle as much as the rest of our family. These cabins are the best part of the UP - beachfront, gorgeous sunrises, campfires, great hosts, and proximity to so many activities. We love to fish on the Taq, visit area lighthouses, collect agates at Whitefish Point, pick wild blueberries, eat fish at Browns Fish House and Camp 33, buy bread at North Star bakery. It's only a short drive to the Two Hearted and the Soo Locks or to the Painted Rocks National Seashore. The serenity and beauty of this area is truly Paradise!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank brez00
West Branch, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

I have been staying at the sunrise cabins for 6 years and have already made my reservation for this year! It is quiet and clean and chris and robin are excellent hosts. The cabins have seen tons of updates since my first trip in 2004. I especially liked the remodeled bath and last year the new matresses were the best! Chris and robin welcome me and my pup with open arms. There isn't a more relaxing place anywhere!!! I hope to continue to stay at sunrise for years to come!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo