USCG Crews Quarters Accommodation
$100
QualityInn
$102
$90
Comfort Inn(Sault Ste. Marie)
$130
ComfortInn
Americas Best Value Inn(Sault Ste. Marie)
$100
$85
Agoda.com
All reviewsoatmealself servebreakfast itemsbed and breakfastgift shopgreat lakes shipwreck museumliving roomgranola barsthe kitchenbig tvworking lighthouselake superior beachmuseum closeswhitefish pointnext morningnice tourcoast guard rescue
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My sister and I stayed at the crew quarters as part of a birthday gift-she loves lighthouses. There are about 5 rooms and we were in the "best room". It was small, but very clean. The reported view of the water was limited. However the beach is footsteps away. The walls are pretty thin-you could hear muffled conversations tvs and snoring. My sister and I could never figure out how to work our tv. The included continental breakfast is cereal, prepackaged oatmeal and bagels. This lighthouse is not like you typical lighthouse-my sister seemed a bit disappointed by that. The neat thing about this place is that there is a museum, a video on the Edmund Fitzgerald, gift shop, snack shop, and the lightkeepers house is intact with period furniture-you get a feel for what it would have been like back in the day. They are renovating the lighthouse but you can still go to the top for a fee. All of the staff knew we were staying there, knew our names and knew it was my sisters birthday. Bruce who has worked there since the 1990s allowed my sister and I in the lighthouse for free-a birthday gift. All in all a very cool place. Breathtaking views. One more thing, the museum, shops etc. Close at 6. Be prepared to drive 12 miles back to town to eat at one of two restaurants in Paradise. The one we chose closed at 9pm on a Friday night and we waited 30 minutes for a table. Food wasn't great but the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank Aandpmi
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Everyone leaves at 6pm. Just the guests left. Wonderful. Walked the shore of Lake Superior and watched the sunset. Then the stars came out. Best ever. Breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter for view. Different bed sizes.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2011

On the shore of Whitefish Point, a graveyard for sunken ships and lost crews, is a lighthouse, shipwreck museum, and b&b. Or sort of b&b... The kitchen is stocked with food, but nobody is there to serve it. There is a stove, but it is there just for appearance and doesn't work. Residents pretty much have the place to themselves because there doesn't seem to be any permanent staff on site. The rooms are small and well appointed, but the walls are paper thin. Once the tourists clear out, the location becomes more special. It is located in a rather isolated area of Whitefish Bay, north of Paradise. The b&b is adjacent to a desolate Lake Superior beach which is truly magnificent at sunset and sunrise. Ghosts are said to haunt the premises, though my stay did not include such a perk. I don't know that I would ever return, but the experience was memorable and if I had more time, the place would have been a great base for exploring Lake Superior.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Anemoney
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was totally worth the price. The Lake Superior shoreline is gorgeous, the history of the crew quarters is interesting and the quarters have been made very comfortable for 21st century guests. Rooms are simple, very nice, very clean. Breakfast is a simple self-serve cereal and bagel meal that suited us. Surprisingly, the wireless Internet service was excellent--didn't expect that in such a remote location. Beth, the housekeeper, is very friendly, very helpful. There's a small, but excellent shipwreck museum at the site--exceptional exhibits, including the bell of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JN57
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is simply awesome. Very simple and pretty small expecially if you have 2 suit cases, but we stayed in the Assistant Chief Room. It's a self served kitchen with oatmeal, bagels, cereal, milk and other things that you can fix yourself. 2 coffee pots but nice enough. Then there is a gathering room that has 2 couches in it. No it's not really big but very quant and a very clean place. There are 2 sets of steps to get to the top and we only stayed a night and wished we would have compiled one of our suit cases to make more room. As I said its fairly small but so cool to stay out at the lighthouse. They did an awesome job on refurbishing the original Crew Quarters....it's rather special and my hubby is very picky and he enjoyed it so much. We walked down to the beach and watched the sun set, picked up rocks and felt so special being able to stay here for the night. Great for taking photos after everyone has left.

Part of you money is tax deductable when you stay and you also can get 10% off of any purchase. They shut everything down at 6:00 so you do "have" to check between 3:00-6:00pm. We then went back to town to eat fresh caught Whitefish.....OMG...it was AWESOME!!! Go into Paradise and make a right, then 1/4 of mile down. Nothing fancy but wow the whitefish is great and at 6:00pm the place filled up!!! No one waiting but every table was full. We got there at 5:30.

Also you get a free tour of the museum. The grounds are kept emaculent (sp). What an honor to be able to stay here for the night. We loved it and would recommend it to anyone. Wonderful gift shop also with lots of goodies. I can't say enough about this place and yes it feels like Paradise! However everything here shuts down at 6:00pm and it's so peaceful but it's 11 miles from the nearest town and it's only got a flashing light so prepare for that.....we went to the falls, then came and got our key and went back to town to eat. Then came back and relaxed for the evening. What a joy!! Loved it!!! Oh ya I already said that... :)

This is nothing fancy but very clean and just a beautiful place and an honor to be able to stay here at the Lighthouse.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple