“worth the drive”

Whitefish Point Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Paradise
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in the UP for a long weekend and added a stop here to see the Shipwreck museum and lighthouse. We were not disappointed. We enjoyed the displays in the museum and walking through the lightkeeper's house. We didn't pay extra to go up into the tower. Getting here was a little out of the way, and mapquest got us a little confused, but we made it.

1  Thank midnighter94
in 15 reviews
"rock hunting"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Shipwreck Museum was a fantastic stop on our trip. Very interesting exhibit. The wax figures were so real looking that I was expecting them to blink. Loved the beach area and liked that we could go down and wade in Lake Superior. The bathrooms were very modern and they have a nice little gift shop as well.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in the Coast Guard Crew Quarters. The rooms were nicely decorated with quilts, making you feel like the lighthouse keeper. They supply items for breakfast in the kitchen - cereals, oatmeal, muffins, milk, juices - and you fix your own breakfast using the microwave. It is very remote and private. I love lighthouses, so it was rewarding to look out our window at night and see the light glowing. If you stay there you receive free admission to the Shipwreck Museum, as well as a discount to the gift shop.

1  Thank time4travel1957
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I drove up here on a night that my boyfriend had to work because I wanted to take some pictures. I was incredibly impressed with the facilities at hand. (My only criticism is that the bathroom wasn't in service - and another patron seemed upset of the fact). The beach here is one of the nicest I've been on - the sand is super soft "powdery." There is a great viewing deck - if you don't mind the hike up the hill (that is not "accessible). I went pretty late in the evening so I didn't get a chance to visit the museum - what I have heard of it - it is worth seeing. The claim to fame of this area - is that it is within viewing distance of where the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk during hurricane force winds. Ample parking. Things to do with the kids - and a lot of charm. Would love to return with my boyfriend. One of my favourite spots in Michigan so far!