“Cant imagine they will be in business that long.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Burning Oak Smokehouse - CLOSED

The Burning Oak Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Detroit, Michigan
“Cant imagine they will be in business that long.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stopped here for dinner last night while coming South on 24. We walked in and were promptly seated. I had told others that I was dining with to order me a Coke while I proceeded to the restroom to clean up. When I returned, the waitress still had not come to take our drink order. For the next fifteen minutes, we sat and watched as a couple waitresses moved some tables around and talked. They were getting interrupted by customers complaining about the food. Each waitress, as well as the hostess, seemed like we (customers) were inconveniencing them.
If we sat for 15 minutes and hadn't even had a drink order taken, how long will the rest of the meal take!! We got up and walked out. No one said a word.
I wouldn't go back or recommend to anyone I know.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank DDUB_10

Lake Orion, Michigan
“Decent!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I made plans to meet a good friend and his wife here before going to a sporting event. I came onto trip advisor to see about the reviews of the restaurant and was a little scared in going here but thought OK let's give it go, especially with the mixed reviews.
First, I went to their website and it said for reservations call. So I called and was rudely told that they don't take reservations. I explained that their website indicated that they did and they should probably update their website if they have decided to not take reservations and she hung up on me.
We arrived and we greeted right away and seated immediately. Our server showed up within a couple of minutes to take our drink order. We order our food and sat for about a half hour talking and having fun. Then the bread came out, 30 minutes after our order?? Strange I thought.
Our food came out and for 5 people one of the orders were wrong but it was very quickly corrected.
The food wasn't hot but warm and it tasted OK. This smoke house is not nearly as good as The Wood Shop in Clarkston or the Blue OX in Lake Orion, but it was OK.
Would I return?, probably not, for the BBQ there are better places within a 15 minute drive but I would encourage people to make their own decision about this place. I find it to be acceptable and we didn't encounter any of the issues that others had, so give it a try!!

• Visited August 2013
Eugene, Oregon
“Surprisingly Good for the Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

It was about 6 p.m. on a summer Saturday and we were coming back from an afternoon affair in Metamora. We were hungry and had small kids with us who were also hungry. We noticed the Smokehouse on the way out and thought it looked interesting. The parking lot was packed, so we supposed it must be an OK place (although online reviews weren't too good). A couple of our party of 6 went in to check it out and came back with good reports, especially on the prices on the menu.
We only had to wait a few minutes for our table (I think many of the cars in the lot were people going to a private party). Our server was great, the manager (owner?) came by our table to say hello and the food was surprisingly good. $12 for half-slab of St. Louis ribs and two sides...what a bargain! Have I had better ribs? Sure, but these were tasty and hit the spot. They wouldn't measure up to the ribs I've had in Memphis, but that's not what we were looking for or expecting. Everyone else around the table was also quite satisfied and enough was left over for the kids to have the next day.
I had never been in Oxford before and doubt I'll return any time soon. But if I do, I'd eat here again. I don't know if this is any sort of testimonial, but we were fascinated with the fact that someone flew their own private helicopter to the restaurant and parked it in the field nextdoor.

• Visited August 2013
Clarkston, Mi
“Can't wait to return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were headed to Metamora for a rib dinner when we passed The Burning Oak Smokehouse. We decided to have dinner there and it was a great choice. We each ordered the 2 meat dinner -- ribs and slice beef brisket. The smoked ribs were a bit too smoked but still very good as was the brisket. We liked that there were 6 or 7 flavors of barbecue sauce. The salads were large with fresh lettuces, not the bags of lettuce some places use. The portions were huge so we have lots of leftovers for lunches this week! We look forward to going back. There is a Montana Chop House nearby and we might try that next time just to compare but the Chop House does not offer pulled pork and beef brisket.

• Visited July 2013
Washington, Michigan
“Very good BBQ - a must stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Very nice BBQ restaurant.
Comfortable country atmosphere.
Server polite and friendly.
Eye catcher from the road.
Just North of Oxford on Route 24