“North Pole Express”

Steam Railroading Institute
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Owosso
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

Excellent experience. We took the North Pole Express train to Ashley Michigan on Sunday December 7 at 2pm. We rode in the Vixen car with reserved seating which included hot chocolate. My only complaint...The Vixen car hosts could brush up on their people skills, they could be a little condescending and their tone was not welcoming at all times.

3  Thank Race701
"cars"
"village"
"admission"

Reviewed December 7, 2014

I felt like I needed to write a second review. Last year we went on the color tour side trip and were not impressed. This year I wanted to take my kids on the 1225 Pere Maquette North Pole Express and decided to give it another go when we were donated 4 tickets by a volunteer of the railroad, Bill Wilson. John G was able to give about 8 family's tickets for this year to family's of the military past or present. To get prepared we watched Polar Express. When we arrived they had the Hobo on the top of the rail cars dancing and interacting. The kids loved it. We boarded with out any lines and had a great ride to the city of Ashley. Once we arrived we checked out the options of things to do. We started in Santa's workshop and built a toy, had face painting and a balloon made, all of which cost extra but It was to be expected. We went and had Hobo soup for lunch. For $5 the kids got a bowl of soup, bread, drink and a wooden toy train. Great deal I thought. Two hours isn't much time to check out all they had to do but it did make it so you weren't waiting in line for long for anything. I also think they should put things a bit closer. They are within a 2 or 3 block area though. Next time I will book the evening tour because I think we lost some of the Christmas feel with out all the lights on. And I do wish there would have been snow but who can control that.

2  Thank Michelleincadillac
Reviewed December 3, 2014

The train ride was done very nice, and in keeping with the era of the train. The volunteers that run the train ride were great. The town of Ashley needs some help and guidance on how to
greet 400 guests. I thought I had been dropped off in the middle of a bad county fair, complete with mid-way games, rides, and the ever popular fried food trailers. If that is what they think the North Pole is, i don't want to go. 400 people get off the train for 2 hours, and want to shop and spend their money on something Christmasy. They only stores we found were a rumage sale store, and a homemade something store. BUT Santa was the real deal!!!! Santa was the highlight of the day.

1  Thank hopew814
Reviewed November 30, 2014

The train was cute and people were friendly but the town Ashley was horrible. Metal shacks set up with vendors charging tons for home made gifts that you could buy nicer at the dollar store! 400 people getting off a train to go to the attractions, you wait in line 45 min for garbage and you only get 2 hrs off the train. Which was fine because you will be disappointed with the town from the minute you arrive anyhow! Save your money! Or if possible, only take the train ride. Skip the town!

3  Thank Larsonelijah
See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2014

Our group of Tour Planners arrived in Owosso looking forward to seeing this attraction. We didn't really know what to expect. We were met by a volunteer and we went through the museum with a guide who shared history with us. Then we went out to ride on the little train, and go to the building that housed the Polar Express. Then we got on another train where "train robbers", appeared and did a little skit. This was fun, I think our seniors will like it. By reading the other comments, I am VERY apprehensive in taking them during one of the major events until the problems are resolved. If I planned this into my tour, and had disgruntled people like the reviews I have read, there would definitely been a problem. Please read the reviews, and see if you can get some help with customer service, and scheduling.

4  Thank Shelley E