“Spiders and rodents and filth...oh my!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oscoda
Aurora Resort Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Oscoda
“Spiders and rodents and filth...oh my!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Really sad for a place with a great location. The rooms were INFESTED with spiders. Went out and bought our own repellant to spray the inside and outside. Had no illusions about being bug free, but the rooms had webs everywhere. The foldout and hide-a-bed were disgusting. Broken windows, plumbing, TV...I can handle old accomodations that are reasonably clean, but this was really bad.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank noneavabletoday

Solo
Business
Big Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2010

When we got to the motel, we were asked for cash up front "to guarantee the rate". We gave them cash for two nights. The room we were given had obviously been used and left unclean--sand in the tub, almost no toilet paper, not enough towels for two people, no light bulbs in the bedside light, sand residue on the tv console area. The young woman from the office was pleasant at first, but balked when we decided to move on the next day and wanted our money back. "I couldn't rent the room to others, so you should pay as agreed." I pointed out that we were virtually the only guests, so she could hardly use that as an excuse. Too bad--the beach frontage was a potential real plus, but the service/cleanliness was so poor that I'd advise others to choose one of the MANY other choices of lodging in the area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank fellowtraveler77

Travelers are raving about these Oscoda hotels

notimpetuous
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We had previously stayed at the Aurora Beach Resort and Motel and had one of the worst experiences of our lives as far as travel goes. It was not the location because that is great as it sits on 300 feet or so of pure sandy beach. We loved that, it was the management that walked around drunk and belligerent. The management consisted of about 4 or 5 adults that were all in various states of inebriation and could not be less professional. The rooms were not clean and the place was a dump. This year as we were heading to Oscoda to spend our vacation we went by the Aurora on our way to another place to stay but noticed that the lawn was nice and the flowers were pretty...the place just looked a lot better! We bit. So I went in to inquire and met a wonderful couple named Lauri and Rob that were probably the most hospitable people I have ever met. The prices were cheap and the rooms that we got (4) were impeccably cleaned. These rooms are not new by any means, but they were clean and smelled fresh. They were welcoming to say the least. I was VERY impressed at the change that took place in the management and frankly would not have thought it possible in only a year. The resort is very family friendly, very inexpensive, and very clean. There is little that Rob or Lauri would not do to assure us of a good time. We had a great time and will be back again next year. They even added Wi-Fi which my son loved! They havebig play structures for the kids and beach volleyball and fire pits with plenty of fire wood for everyone to use (for free!). I liked not having to bring my own grill too!
On the last day there Lauri had my Daughter (3 year old) over to their place (the managers live onsight) and her little boy and my daughter watched a couple movies and had strawberry shortcake. That was a nice gesture and we really appreciated that Lauri!

• Liked — The price and cleanliness...great value
  • Disliked — having to go
2 Thank notimpetuous
Lansing, MI
Reviewed September 4, 2008

This place is awful. I was not made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived. The motel is that a dirty gross motel. Don't waste your vacation or money here. The owners have no sense of customer service and professionalism. I regret going, please don't make the same regret.

• Disliked — everything
2 Thank jrpicturegirl
odessa, texas
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Robert and Lauri Johns were more like hosts than resort managers. Although our visit did not start out to be a family reunion, it literally became one after family members came to visit from Green Bay, Detroit, and Alpena. About 40 members converged on the resort. Some we had not seen for 35 years. Many stayed there and shared every moment possible visiting together....especially at the cookouts and nightly campfires. It was a priceless experience. Rob and Lauri represent new management at Aurora. Their committment to custormer service and satisfaction makes the difference. It may not be the Waldorf, but its a nice facility with clean rooms, a great beach and safe, clean swimming. You can walk a quarter mile out and still be touching sand. If you want a wonderful place to take the family for a relaxing weekend or longer, I highly recommend Aurora.
Michael Samp, CEO
Sentry Medical Corporation
Odessa, Texas

• Liked — Great customer service
  • Disliked — Very uncomfortable sleeper couch
2 Thank mobilemed2000
michigan
Reviewed September 9, 2007

we stayed at the Aura every year for a week until 2005. A drunk was running it with 3 dogs that ran loose. One bit my grandson and when i told management he said he owned it and if we didnt like it to leave. we did. Than in 2006 we booked again under new managers in a motel unit. It was so wet in the room mushrooms were growing. NEVER again will we return

• Liked — the beach and courtyard
  • Disliked — dirty rooms rude management
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

We had so much fun at the auroa. There was such a nice little park-like area between the two parts of the resort where my young children could play when we were not there to supervise them by the lake. The beach is very pretty and clean, yet lacking some beach furniture. The only reason that I gave a review of an average versus an excellent was because the place looked a bit run down. The rooms, while homey, looked like they were decorated in the 1960's and have not been touched since. The kitchen areas were large enough but the cooking gear provided was old and dirty, so we ended up going out to eat for a few nights. Other than that the place was amazing and the management was great and willing to help with whatever we needed from blankets to beach toys!!!

Stayed June 2006