“Good thing there was a Jacuzzi, this mattress killed my back”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Oscoda - AuSable River
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Oscoda
detroit
“Good thing there was a Jacuzzi, this mattress killed my back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

We spent a rainy/snowy April weekend at the AmericInn on an early anniversary trip and summer-cottage-hunting adventure. I had read the other reviews here and pretty much knew what to expect, and that's pretty much what I got. We ordered up a king room with a jacuzzi that went for $133 a night. The room was spacious and very clean and had a neat view of the Au Sable River and the US-23 bridge between Au Sable and Oscoda. And now the complaints: oy, that mattress. I'd swear I could feel the individual steel wires jamming into my back. I have kind of a twitchy back anyway and was in agony both nights. REPLACE THE MATTRESS IN ROOM 119 NOW!! Other quibbles -- the shower had such a flow-restricted head that it took me forever to get my hair wet (wound up washing my hair under the faucet in the Jacuzzi). Then there was the crappy, 20 year old 25 inch CRT TV with the blurry picture. C'mon, people, 32 inch flat panels are well under $300, take the plunge! On the other hand the staff was terrific and friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The sound insulation that AmericInn brags about really is striking -- you can't hear a darn thing through the walls, which is unusual for most budget and midpriced hotel chains (and even some very expensive properties). The pool and whirlpool were great. (Although the whirlpool was shut down for service Sunday morning -- oh well, we just used the one in our room.) The continental breakfast was adequate to get you going in the morning. And the location is convenient for Au Sable adventures. Really, just replace the dang mattress and I'll be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank madmatthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Harrison Twp, Mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Even after a late start and a very late arrival, we were happily welcomed in the wee hours of the morning by a member of the friendly staff of Oscoda's Americinn.

We've stayed at this property several times and will continue to do so when we're in the Oscoda area when our cabin is shut down for the winter. Once again the staff was friendly and professional. This time the beds were welcoming and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious! The pool was large and the hot tub was just that: Hot and incredibly relaxing. There is nothing that I can't say bad about the Americinn here in Oscoda, it's inexpensive, clean, and the staff is out of this world.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We have stayed at this motel twice and have been very satisfied. For $90 we had a king-size bed and a sofa; very spacious. It is a little south of the center of Oscoda, but you need a car to get around anyway. The indoor pool area was very nice and the free breakfast had lots of choices, including hard boiled eggs, waffles, yogurt, bagels,etc.
There is also a computer in the lobby for guests who don't bring their laptops.
It is an ideal location if you are driving along River Road to see the Au Sable River. We enjoy coming in the fall to see the colors and hike the High Banks Trail, but it is a beautiful area year-round. Both times we stayed here, it was sold out when we arrived, so plan in advance in high season.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

Our family stayed in two rooms for three nights. Rooms were clean, service was good, breakfast adequate. We were visiting family in the area; the hotel was near the AuSable River where we rode the riverboat and went canoeing. Finding the hotel after dark was a challenge. It is near the main road (M-23) but no signs or lights are visible and it took a bit of driving around to locate the hotel entrance. The hotel is on the river - and there is a city park-playground a short walk away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Nacogdoches, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

I had a suite with a fireplace. The staff were wondeful.. amazing... awesome! When I go back to Oscoda I will stay at this hotel for sure!

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank IwannaBtraveler
Harrison Twp, Mi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

My wife & I chose The Americinn as it's centrally located to where we were spending our Easter Weekend. I've been reading these other reviews and frankly, I'm at a loss. it's Oscoda folks; there's no Marriott, Hyatt, and for goodness sakes, that Hilton kid isn't going to show up here. The Americinn is it and it serves it's purpose very well. We arrived early on Saturday 4/3/10 and check in was smooth and uneventful. The clerk was full of smiles and polite beyond all means. The lobby was welcoming, airy and clean. The pool was perfect for our kids and the hottub/whirlpool was perfect for my wife and I. The rooms were clean, spacious, and bright. The bathroom too was clean and well lit. The sink is located outside the bathroom area which is perfect for families. Ok, the beds leave something to be desired I have to admit, and the evening clerk that night was a tad snappy when my wife arrived back from the store w/food and wanted to check if we were in the pool. I ask you, what hotels have perfect beds? And the day clerks chipper mood and attitude more then made up for the snappiness the night before.

We didn't get to sample the breakfast much to my disappointment. The coffee however was delicious and the small dining area welcomed us with a large Happy Easter sign. I'll add too that the lobby and dining area were packed this Easter Morning with guests who WERE enjoying their meals!

So in conclusion, please disregard the sourness of some of the reviews of Oscoda's Americinn. It's not perfect by say Miami Beach or Manhattan standards, but for an Up North, Oscoda, Mi standard it IS perfect and when our cabin is closed for the winter we will continue to stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Jeffrey G
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

The rates are very high for such low quality. Antiquated in every way, Raggedy drapes and bed spreads. Food was a joke---yuckkkkkkk. Very old decor.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oneladyinred
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oscoda
Camp Inn Lodge
Huron House Bed and Breakfast
Aspen Motor Inn
Aspen Motor Inn
#9 of 10 in Oscoda

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Oscoda - AuSable River? Share your experiences!