“Overpriced for what you get.”

Tait's Bill of Fare
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Oscoda
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Special was perch dinner with fries, coleslaw and mixed veggies. Veggies were good and fresh tasting. Fries were fine...large order, fish was horribly greasy tasting, tiny and very boney. The dinner was removed from my bill as I could not eat it. Service was just OK...we walked in about 1/2 hour before closing and the place was empty, we were told to order quickly...another couple did come in and order after us and was served.

Not worth the money spent, even with the meal removed as we felt like we were intruding on their wanting to go home time. It was good to leave...

1  Thank Sandra W

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were on vacation in the Oscoda area during my girlfriend’s birthday. I sought out what I thought was a very nice place to dine, based on what I had heard. Several disappointments later I realized we made a mistake.

Tait’s Bill of Fare appears to be a well-established eatery in downtown Oscoda. They apparently have been there for 18 years or so. Why they have survived I have no clue. It is overpriced for what is served, portions are very small, and accuracy of what you order versus what you are served in non-existent.

We arrived at the restaurant at around 7 PM. There were nine tables seated, less than half by my count of total tables in the place. We were seated, then we waited. And waited longer. Finally a bread basket was brought to the table. Then we waited some more. After about 20 minutes an older man came to the table, apologizing for the delay. Our drinks were ordered. They were served. Then we waited again. 10 – 15 minutes later he once again came around. I was puzzled by this, as there were at least three girls serving tables too, meaning that each girl had only three tables at most. Before ordering we were advised of three specials for the evening, that included the price. One was described as “shrimp and sea scallops in a delicate white wine sauce, served over fettuccini noodles, for $17.99. “ Further when asked we were told “it is a sauce lighter than an alfredo sauce, but similar”. The menu also featured a London Broil for $15.99. We ordered those, which included salads with homemade dressings and soup. The soup was great. The salad was, well, disspointing. Mine was to have a balsamic vinaigrette. When served it was clear. I questioned the waiter, who said “that’s the way it always is, and that we use a while balsamic. All balsamic I’ve ever had were dark brown in color. I decided to limit the call backs since this was a birthday dinner, and I did not want it to be full or complaints. That was a dream not to happen. As my girlfriend took her last bite of salad she was suddenly choking. She was able to dislodge what was in her salad – a piece of clear plastic, apparently cut from the lettuce bag. Once the frightening part was over I flagged the waiter and told him what had happened. We were told that such things happen, he was sorry, but the salad comes in plastic bags and accidents happen. He then disappeared. Another long wait went by. Then the waiter brought out the main dishes.

The London broil was four and a half tiny slices, perhaps totaling 4 or 4.5 ounces. My shrimp and sea scallops in a cream sauce was actually several medium sized shrimp and about a dozen bay (not sea) scallops in a watery sauce that had a butter pat sice piece of cheese melted upon one of the shrimp. Upset at the tiny portions I called the waiter over again and challenged this, as four tiny slices of meat was not worth $16. He insisted that the dinners were what they have always been, but could not say why my dish did not have the fetuchini noodles and instead had a potato. Feeling this was a lost cause, I decided not to challenge any longer. The London broil was good, just a ridiculously small size portion. The shrimp and scallops were overcooked and a equally puny size portion. The “sauce” was more or less the water given off by scallops that have been plumped before freezing.

The meal ended with a special dessert that they brought to the table for my girlfriend’s birthday. It had a paper tube with some sort of firework in it that shot sparks, leaned away from us when served. Upon ending a small flame remained that could be traditionally blown out. That was nice as well as unique.

I was then presented the bill, which overcharged us for the $18 shrimp and scallop dish by $7 (I was charged $25).

This meal was all wrong. We won’t be back.

2  Thank jiml3222
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a very pleasant restaurant that we stop at when in Oscoda, mostly for lunch, but their dinner menu looks good also.
We like the good food, hometown atmosphere and reasonable prices!

1  Thank Harrisgumby
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had hoped for a better meal, but it was mostly average. The bread was nothing special. The salad was full of wilted, browned iceberg lettuce...don't insult me with that kind of thing. I ordered the prime rib medium rare and it arrived medium well to well. It was full of fat and gristle. I'm pretty sure it had been frozen. The waitress was pleasant, but took a while getting to our table. We were one of three tables in the room. Not sure why it took so long. I would not go there again, and would not recommend it.

3  Thank lakotasu
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Me & my Husband was visiting Oscoda for our Anniversary. We were recommended this restaurant by The Huron House bed & breakfast staff, where we stayed.Bill and the waitress Dee was so friendly & the food was excellent! Due to it being off season, me and my Husband had the dining room to ourselves and we sat right at the cozy fireplace. Bill dimmed the lights for us which really gave it a romantic touch! I had the chicken Especiale, was was delicious, with veggies and a baked sweet potato.my husband had the fried cod, which he loved with the potatoes with cheese. The bread was warm and delightful served with honey butter! Mmmmm! The soup was awesome, it was a cheese soup with a black bean soup! The salad was fresh as well. To our surprise Bill and Dee brought out a tasty complimentary desert for our Anniversary Complete with firework sparkles on top! They even sung Happy Anniversary to us! We were so pleased with our visit! When we return to Oscoda, we will definitely visit Tait's again! I recommend you check it out for yourself! Enjoy!

1  Thank Lady P

Been to Tait's Bill of Fare? Share your experiences!