“Will return for many years to come”
Review of Mai Tiki Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oscoda
Mai Tiki Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Oscoda
Reviewed March 4, 2013

It's ashame that the review posted on July 1, 2012 by Bob the Slob stating how ungreatful his stay at Mai Tiki resort was. When in fact, I was there a week earlier, with my family of four, and our stay was completely the opposite. It was our first time ever at Mai Tiki Resort and it was the most highest hospitality I have ever recieved in my life. All the staff were so kind, generous, helpful, considereate, caring and devoted. Our one week stay at Mai Tiki made our vacation the best in years. One example: Our son had an accident in his sleep. That morning, I went to the front office to ask if we could get the sheets changed. The housekeeper was not currently on site, so the nice young lady from the office came over to our cabin and did it herself. I mean most vacation resorts would have made you wait for housekeeping. She literally was at my cabin 3 minutes after I left the office. I call that SERVICE! If you have any issues with anything, any employee there knows how to handle it, in a quick and professional manner. We are returning for the 2013 year. We are excited. So excited, infact we have already started getting things together, buying things, preparing. Its only March 4. Their newly remodeled cabins are great. The one we stayed in had a loft. It was amazing. Each cabin has a different theme. My sister and her kids stayed two cabins down. 100% redone inside. Flat screen, tile floors, new appliances, new bedroom, bathroom completely ceramic tile (Walls, Floors, Even the shower and in the shower was a built in seat) This cabin I thought was a perfect romantic getaway for two. I mean every cabin serves its own purpose. You can visit there for a 100% full tour, as we did in the fall of 2011. Pick the cabin that suits your family best. The movie at night right on the beach, was excellent. My kids enjoyed it as much as your children would. While the movie is running, watch it with them or have some alone adult time with your significant other. You can see the kids sitting right outside your cabin. The safety is all there. All the guests themselves were nice and friendly. Kids play with kids, adults hang with adults. It doesnt get better when everyone has a great time. The Resort supplies the first amount of firewood. if you choose to have a late night you are allowed to purchase firewood of your own to keep it going. Overall, this is the best vacation we've been on. We live in Michigan. It's nice to feel like you're in paradise only a couple hundred miles from home. Excellent!!!! A+++++ Thank you all Mai Tiki Staff. You were all wonderful. See you in June 2013. :-) I've posted some photos for review Enjoy

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Michael E

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just wanted to thank all the people at Mai Tiki for the great time we had last summer and being able to get our favorite cabin reserved again for 2013. Vacations at the Tiki have become a tradition for our family and it is nice to be locked in again for next summer. The HUGE white sandy beach is our favorite but this year sitting out under the stars watching Movie On The Beach was blast. Popcorn and all :) Thanks again, SM

4  Thank unSalty1
Reviewed September 4, 2012

LOVED this place! Took a family vacation for 4 nights at Mai Tiki. We stayed in an upper condo which was spotlessly cleaned and huge. Mom, dad and 4 boys (20 months - 10 years) had plenty of room to spread out.

The beach is absolutely huge, so there is plenty of room down there so you aren't on top of other guests. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful.

The kids were able to go out and hang out with their new friends on the beach while mom and dad could watch them from upstairs. I would suggest if you have kids to look into a lower level condo or one of the cottages...this way you are that much closer to the beach.

There was bonfire every night, only once did the crowd get a little too rowdy, I think they were up until about 4am. Wasn't a problem, but it was a little on the loud side. We had a movie night on the beach, they bring out huge beanbag pillows and watch on the side of the tiki bar. The kids loved this!

One review mentioned road noise, the resort is right off of US23 (like all the resorts in the area) so yes you can hear the cars, but nothing out of the ordinary. The other guests were extremely nice, and everyone minded their manners, there was no one taking other people's stuff.

This was our first time here and while there we booked a week for next summer and have family coming up with us. I would not hesitate for a second about staying here again!

Room Tip: Condo #'s 5 and 10 are end units (10 is the 2nd story) and these have decks off the side and you...
5  Thank peter p
Reviewed August 9, 2012

...but it could not have been the same Mai Tiki where I stayed for four days.

When I first approached the place, I was not sure what to expect. When I went to the office to get my keys, I was shocked by the screen door being locked. I started thinking about the one review about no attendant.; but I was surprised at how quickly they responded to the door and they were really nice.

Got the keys and went to the cabin, and was shocked at the appearance of the cottage. It was not even close to what I expected, it was immaculate and looked like a Hawaiian hut inside with bamboo walls and chairs.

Someone before us had broken the screen and one of the attendants came out and fixed it for us right away. They even patiently tried to help this noob grillman with his lighter problems (eventually they just gave me matches...lol)

I really enjoyed my stay there.and I would recommend this place for a vacation.

I only have one comment about the cottage. It didn't bother me personally, but why are there not places for hangers?

4  Thank ed m
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My family rented 2 condos at the Mai Tiki Resort for 1 week, and were extremely happy with the accomodations and the resort. The view of the water from our condo was breathtaking, and we enjoyed being right on the beach. We were worried that the 2 bedroom condo would be too small to accomodate 3 pack and plays, but with a little furniture re-arranging, we were able to do it! Theresa (the owner) and staff were always on site to help with anything we needed, including providing us charcoal for the fabulous Weber grills that each unit had, fans, vacuum, pans, etc. They were always incredibly kind and gracious, and even started the bonfire pit early one night for the kids who needed to go to bed earlier. We loved the movies on the beach...so great to hang out on comfy bean bags and watch family friendly movies. The other people staying at the resort were kind, respectful, and lots of fun! The value was incredible for all the amenities, and the air conditioning in the condo was awesome for the really hot days of July. The palapas on the beach, and the palapa umbrellas on all the picnic tables really helped us feel that we were in the caribbean. The beach was beautiful, and the water clear and warm. It was so fun to body surf when we had some big waves. We will be back to stay at this fabulous resort!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank goddessjackie
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Great value!
Great location!
Great people!
Our family has stayed here twice now. Another great time for all of our friends and family to enjoy a stress free trip together. We had perfect weather this year and the staff of the resort were very accommodating to our needs. Awesome surprise to find the cottages we had were remodeled this past year. The SHOWER was unreal in our cabins. Yes they are somewhat small but that is a small price to pay for some of the best sunrises you will ever see. The bon-fire on the beach every night is very enjoyable. Movies at night for the kids are a nice touch to the end of a sun filled day. Lots of activities in the area, some of the best golf courses around. We will be back again next year...........

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John H
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Not much good to say. I expected a good time. Came up way short. Unfortunately for the owners, there isn’t much they can do about it.

The road noise is too loud. The place is just too close to the road. Although there was no health hazard that was obvious, the dumpsters were overflowing, but come to think of it, this may explain the uninvited visitor in our unit that we needed a mouse trap to catch. The beach area was dirty and littered by the guests. It was like that all week. Despite the resort rule of no fireworks … every night by very young kids under no supervision.
Arab-American clientele .... rented nearly half the units … in two waves. I’m guessing that goes on for the entire summer judging from some of the other surrounding rental properties where they were very well represented as well. Oscoda must be their vacation getaway from Dearborn. They had no consideration of other people’s belongings (games, chairs, …) Adults and kids picked up our stuff and used it as their own. They didn’t ask. We had to go retrieve it.
Monopolized the fire pit. It was very uncomfortable for our family when you’re so drastically outnumbered and everyone is speaking a different language and smoking a hookah.
We thought we had some relief when the whole community left on the same day, but the second wave came in the next day. There were so many of them (the second wave), they got their own fire pit. must have had some pull with the owners. On second thought, I don’t believe they were anywhere to be found. Did I mention that they were loud … the kids, the music …. That combined with the road noise … so much for hearing the waves lap up on the beach.
Probably sound like a racist right? Check it out yourself. We had such a good time, we left a day early.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank Bob_the_Slob
tgirl1, Owner at Mai Tiki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Mai TIki Resort, our goal is for everyone to have a great vacation experience! I am aware that certain members of this particular family was not satisfied with their stay. I called this family to discuss the issues, instead of answering or returning my call they decided to post this review. We have a full time staff that is there 24-7, so I am not sure where the comment about not seeing an owner or manager comes from. I know that the Father of the family spoke to Emily the manager and the main complaint was about the people that were renting a few of the condo's close by and that they were arab-americans. We do not discriminate against race or religion. If there was a problem with your neighbor all you have to do is make us aware and we will fix the problem, we cannot fix the problem if we do not know what it is. If the other guests were bothering you in any way we would have found a solution, but I can't do anything about someone not liking someone else's race or religion. There are 22 units and we have about 150 person capacity, there were 4 condo's rented by arab-american families that week. That's a maximum of 24 people out of 150 people as we were full. We are here to provide to you the best vacation experience you can have, all of our units but 1 have been remodeled, the last one will be remodeled this year, we have over 500 feet of pure sand beach and beautiful, pristine clear blue water. We have a nightly bonfire and movies on the beach for the kids. We have a staff that lives at the resort 24/7 to answer any questions and help with anything you may need. If you read a review and you are unsure or have any questions please call us and talk to us 989-739-9971

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oscoda
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Oscoda - AuSable River
Gold Coast Family Cottages
Aspen Motor Inn
Aspen Motor Inn
#7 of 10 in Oscoda

Been to Mai Tiki Resort? Share your experiences!