“Bummer!!!”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Oscoda
Michigan
“Bummer!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Not much good to say. I expected a good time. Came up way short. Unfortunately for the owners, there isn’t much they can do about it.

The road noise is too loud. The place is just too close to the road. Although there was no health hazard that was obvious, the dumpsters were overflowing, but come to think of it, this may explain the uninvited visitor in our unit that we needed a mouse trap to catch. The beach area was dirty and littered by the guests. It was like that all week. Despite the resort rule of no fireworks … every night by very young kids under no supervision.
Arab-American clientele .... rented nearly half the units … in two waves. I’m guessing that goes on for the entire summer judging from some of the other surrounding rental properties where they were very well represented as well. Oscoda must be their vacation getaway from Dearborn. They had no consideration of other people’s belongings (games, chairs, …) Adults and kids picked up our stuff and used it as their own. They didn’t ask. We had to go retrieve it.
Monopolized the fire pit. It was very uncomfortable for our family when you’re so drastically outnumbered and everyone is speaking a different language and smoking a hookah.
We thought we had some relief when the whole community left on the same day, but the second wave came in the next day. There were so many of them (the second wave), they got their own fire pit. must have had some pull with the owners. On second thought, I don’t believe they were anywhere to be found. Did I mention that they were loud … the kids, the music …. That combined with the road noise … so much for hearing the waves lap up on the beach.
Probably sound like a racist right? Check it out yourself. We had such a good time, we left a day early.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Bob_the_Slob
tgirl1, Owner at Mai Tiki Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Mai TIki Resort, our goal is for everyone to have a great vacation experience! I am aware that certain members of this particular family was not satisfied with their stay. I called this family to discuss the issues, instead of answering or returning my call they decided to post this review. We have a full time staff that is there 24-7, so I am not sure where the comment about not seeing an owner or manager comes from. I know that the Father of the family spoke to Emily the manager and the main complaint was about the people that were renting a few of the condo's close by and that they were arab-americans. We do not discriminate against race or religion. If there was a problem with your neighbor all you have to do is make us aware and we will fix the problem, we cannot fix the problem if we do not know what it is. If the other guests were bothering you in any way we would have found a solution, but I can't do anything about someone not liking someone else's race or religion. There are 22 units and we have about 150 person capacity, there were 4 condo's rented by arab-american families that week. That's a maximum of 24 people out of 150 people as we were full. We are here to provide to you the best vacation experience you can have, all of our units but 1 have been remodeled, the last one will be remodeled this year, we have over 500 feet of pure sand beach and beautiful, pristine clear blue water. We have a nightly bonfire and movies on the beach for the kids. We have a staff that lives at the resort 24/7 to answer any questions and help with anything you may need. If you read a review and you are unsure or have any questions please call us and talk to us 989-739-9971

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family and I visit Mai Timing every year and it's amazing to just be able to wake up and walk right out onto the beach! We stay for a week, and I love every minute of it. My family includes six people and we all fit fine in a condo. The condos are nice and updated, with a flat screen tv. I love the bonfires every night and the amount of activities you can do within miles! There's canoeing, jet skiing, shopping and a ton of other stuff to do. Overall, I'd like to say I look forward to going to Mai Tiki every year and it is a great experience for the whole family.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank sdf1032
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We live in Florida and what a treat it was to stay at the Mai Tiki last year. The beach is so nice and we just love the freash water, no salt, thank you. The beach is similar to Florida but not so crowded. We can let the kids run and they never leave our site. It is a safe fun place to vaca. We just made our reservations for this year and can't wait. Thank you for keeping our little secret Rocking :) FL

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank unSalty1
Houghton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Mai Tiki was great!!! My group had so much fun during our stay. Being able to lay on the beach with such a gorgeous view was amazing! And when the sun goes down, there's bonfires every night with activities for both you and your children! Adults can sit around the tiki bar or the fire with or without music while your kids enjoy a movie on the beach or play on the playground. This feature was unique to any resort I've been to! And the sunrises on the water are simply breathtaking, as all the cabins face the shore.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The owner treated us just like family and did everything in her power to make sure our stay was great. I noticed the resort not only offers cabins, but condos as well! We will definitely be back next year to try those out.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Julia R
se3owat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

This undoubtedly has been our family’s favorite place to vacation since my children were babies. (25 years) There is always a breeze from Lake Huron to cool our room during the day and a bon fire to warm us at night. We always go over the 4th of July for a week and have a blast. Movies are shown at night for the kids, while adults enjoy camaraderie around the fire with or without adult beverages. On the 4th you can see fireworks from both Oscoda and Tawas sitting on the beach. It's not too far to drive if you want to eat out or enjoy sights around either neighboring cities. If you are so inclined, you can rent jet skis or just lie out and enjoy the sunshine.
The cabins are roomy and if you need anything, you just have to ask the front desk and you can have it. You are always greeted with a smile and made to feel like family. Because we have been coming to this resort for over 25 years - we have seen many changes. Each year the owner improves on some area of the resort. We can't wait to see what changes are in store for us this year! 250 yards of Lake Huron's finest beach awaits you! Come see for yourself!

Room Tip: We have stayed in various cabins, but since my children are bigger and more people come with us, thi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra E
Saginaw, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed for a week. The cabin may have been remolded but the handy man was not too handy.The bath tub wall was broken at the tub. The hot water was the cold and the cold was hot. Someone had reversed the facets in the tub. Making it a hazard. The fridge smelled so bad you had to hold your breath while it was open. The double bed was so short our feet hung over the end. The sofa was so broken down it took another person to pull you out, just to sit on it. The TV was hung so high on the wall it caused a stiff neck to see it, in a hurry. There was one light in the living in the ceiling so dim you couldn't see to read. On the out side there was a fire hazard. A string of lights hung out side with a inside extension cord.Only saw the owner once while we were staying,and that was to roll down the umbrellas in a wind storm. Each time someone checked out I never saw any one go in and clean or run a vacuum. The best thing about the week was our view and our neighbors. I thought it was very pricy. I'll be looking for another place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Gloria M
tgirl1, Owner at Mai Tiki Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Hello,
I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our goal is always to provide a great place to stay and serve our guests with any needs that they may have. Had we known there was a water issue, we have a full time staff and would have had someone in the cabin immediately to repair the problem and re-clean the refrigerator. Our rooms are cleaned and inspected upon every single check-out and we vacuum not only on check-out but through-out the week upon request. Our full size beds are standard full size beds. I am very meticulous about our cabins/condos cleanliness. We encourage and care about any and all suggestions. We are one of the very few resorts with a full time staff and we are not ran by a property management company where there isn't any staff at all. We have a full time maintenance man and 3 other full time staff at the resort 24/7. We are there to accommodate you and make your vacation an excellent experience at our resort. For all of those reading this review, I would encourage you to come to the resort yourself and take a look or call and talk to anyone of our staff. We have remodeled 95% of the resort so our guests have a great experience here. We want you to be comfortable and enjoy your vacation. Please read other reviews as well.
"We are ladies and gentleman serving ladies and gentleman"
Mountain Home, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

From the magnificant sunrises on the sugar sand beaches that extends out as far as you can go, to the bonfires to end a spectacular day. Very impressive; from the staff to a very proactive owner. Close to the Ausable river to enjoy and canoe/kayak trip, Large beach area to play lots of games, movies shown on the beach at night. It was an Awesome Stay. The Mai Tiki Resort is located on US 23 between the Tawases and Oscoda. Just look for the brightly colored cottages on the water. I promise you won't regret it...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chief824
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oscoda
Camp Inn Lodge
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
Oscoda Lakeside Hotel
#7 of 10 in Oscoda
Huron House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mai Tiki Resort? Share your experiences!