“Second Home”

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver City
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ontonagon
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife refers to this hotel as my second home. I come every year in May, August, and often in October to do some serious geology,photography, and to see old friends---and have beeen for over twenty years, The area is a relief from the hurried and crazy larger world. The people are great. The hotel is clean, quiet, and situated on a beautiful Lake Superior Beach. If you want to get away, experience nature, and meet some great people, this is the place!

Older Explorer

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room--you will enjoy the view, the breeze, and the sound of the waves.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ralph P

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The only downside to this hotel was that it is slightly outdated. However, who cares??! It was very clean, comfortable, quiet and had a well stocked, fantastic continental breakfast. I didn't try the restaurant because we brought our own food. The location was great: 5-10 min from the Porkies.
I loved that they had a nice beach front location with plenty of seating and even fire pits if you felt like sitting around a fire on the beach.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed one night for a getaway. The restaurant re-opened in May and we had a good meal Fri. night. They had a prime rib special, but I had one of their house specialties- Walleye, which was delicious. My hubby had a cheese pizza. Limited selection of beers and basic salad, bread, and side veg of corn (ugh). They also have something I've never heard of a "Boston baked potato" which is basically a deep-fried baked potato, which we passed on. Continental bkfst had waffles with fruit and the usual pastries,yogurt, etc. We were in a hurry though, so couldn't check it all out. Looked very clean and lots of seating. Beats driving 10-15 min. to the nearest restaurant.

Enjoyed the steam sauna very much Nice pool & hot tub, although neither felt warm enough to me. We had our 2 small dogs with us ($20 extra per stay for dogs), so we really enjoyed the big backyard, beach, and small park next to the motel. There is an elevator as there are 3 stories. We had an AARP rate of $79.99 plus tax + $20 for the dogs, which I thought was well worth it, especially since the Porcupine Mt. State park is only 10-15 min drive to Lake of the Clouds Trailhead (a must-see). There is a park store up the road to the west that is open til 6:00 pm in summer for snacks and milk (if you get it before the many hikers!),ice cream, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a rm on the west side of the hotel & you'll likely have a partial lakeview & a b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was here for a conference in April. The location is perfect...Silver City is a tiny little hamlet and is very quiet, at least in April. The hotel is right on the shore of Lake Superior, and also next to the Big Iron River, where it flows into Lake Superior. Minutes away down a quiet road is Porcupine Mountains State Park. The hotel was basic...clean and comfortable with a nice lobby/sitting area. There is a gift shop and a bar that serves pizza. There are no other restaurants in town, you need to drive 5-10 min. away. The hotel breakfast was pretty standard. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vagabondmom1
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you think there are no truly beautiful places where you can get away from the crowds - well, you are wrong. This is a clean, basic motel. However, its location is fantastic. It is located right on Lake Superior just down the road from the entrance to Porcupine Mts. It has its own little beach with a swing, and fire rings. A gorgeous place to watch the sun set over the lake, get away from the summer heat, and use as a base camp for hiking or kayaking, which is organized in the parking lot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The hotel was nice overall. It was really quiet considering how full it was with snowmobilers and skiers. The whirlpool hit the spot after riding snowmobile all day. The restaurant staff was great and the food was good! Breakfast was good and well stocked. My only issue was the mattress. It was a tad to firm for my likings. Beautiful views of Lake Superior. We would stay again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for over a decade and it is an awesome place on the shore of the most beautiful lake and sunsets in the world. We have been working in this area for many years and always look forward to the treatment we get from the staff, they are just the best. We drag in all our gear from our mining trips and make a small mess sometimes and never a complaint. Even had a flat on my trailer on one trip and Maintenance rolled a air compressor out and filled it up for me. I always get a room on the opposite side of the the parking lot, because I don't hear snowmobiles or bikes leaving. Also you can leave a window open on that side and hear the waves crashing on the beach. The staff has always gone out of their way to make sure our meals have been great and even when we arrived late we were able to get fed.
And...the coffee is the best I have ever had in a hotel, bar none. I have many stories to tell with all good experiences. Turn the sauna on early when you get there and it will cook you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ontonagon
Mountain View Lodges
#1 of 2 in Bergland
Peterson's Cottages
Peterson's Cottages
#2 of 6 in Ontonagon

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver City? Share your experiences!