“Our new favorite place on Lake Superior”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ontonagon
Scott's Superior Inn & Cabins
Ranked #2 of 3 Ontonagon B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed in the "newest cottage", a short distance from the main Inn and were very impressed. We travel quite a bit and have stayed in a range of properties from interstate hotels to high-end resorts. This has, by far, been our favorite rental. We loved the privacy for our family and the short walk to the beach. The cottage itself was immaculate and designed the way we would create our own cabin with northwoods themed furnishings and a large deck. We are looking forward to returning for another weekend this fall.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We spent one night at Scott’s Superior Inn & Cabins in August. If you’ve seen my other reviews you know that I tend to stay at mid-range chain hotels, so staying at an independent was a different experience for me. I was very happy with my stay. I made the reservation by phone months earlier for one of the chalets. Check-in was fast and very friendly. Our cabin was very nice, with bedroom, kitchen, dining area, and sitting area downstairs, and loft with 3 beds upstairs. Plenty of room. The cabin was clean, and everything that we used worked fine. There seemed to be plenty of hot water for showers, and good water pressure. The lake is visible from the cabin through the trees, especially from the loft, but the cabin is set back far enough to provide privacy from anyone using the beach. The beach was also very nice. A few other groups of people were out there on a Saturday night in the summer, but the beach was more than large enough to support the people who were down there.

Compared to hotels I at which I usually stay, there were a few differences. I thought the mattresses were a bit harder than I’m used to. They were not worn, but the springs were more noticeable than usual. A couple of the windows including one in the bedroom didn’t have blinds. This didn’t really bother me (if it had one I probably would have kept it up anyway to let in the fresh air) and someone would have to walk right by the building to see in, but it was kind of surprising. They don’t provide shampoo. There’s no deadbolt on the front door. I still felt perfectly safe, but the last time we stayed in a hotel without deadbolts (at another independent in Nevada) someone walked into the room late at night (the desk had made a mistake and double booked). Again, no problem at Scott’s, but it’s usually something that would make me nervous. They provide a full set of dishes in the kitchen, but there is no dishwasher, and you do have to wash and put away any dishes used during your stay. Hand washing the dishes wasn’t a problem for me (I usually do it at home anyway), but there weren’t any sponges (I used one of the dishrags).

What I probably liked best about the cabin is that although there were other cabins nearby, when inside I basically felt like we were secluded off in the woods somewhere. The trees do a great job of hiding the other cabins, and there is no noise, just the rustle of the leaves from the wind. A nice cool breeze off the lake blowing through the well-screened windows made for some great sleeping weather.

Overall I was happy with the stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Old, family-oned establishment, has some personal touches, such as stuffed animals in the registration area. They apparently have a variety of rooms, suites, and cabins. We had a small room with a queen bed. No mattress pad, tiny shower with slippery floor, poor tv receptiion on an old tv, no a/c.
An attempt was made at faux on the wall; ok first attempt, but they should have painted over it and gotten it right.
Smallest soap bars I've ever seen & no shampoo. Towels soft and absorbent.
No breakfast, weak coffee, ran out of creamer & stir sticks.
I don't know how this place got such rave reviews.
Almost everything is old. The place needs remodelling. Value for the price: fair.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mak9
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The service, value and cleanliness and friendliness is a part of the attraction for us here. The beach is beautiful and sandy and the water is clean. Lake Superior sunsets and the Porky Pine Mountains in the horizon are the most spectacular sites. We stayed in the Inn this time. Last year it was in a beautiful cabin by the lake. There are many attractions and lot's of history in the U.P.
Don and Kathy Scott (owners) are the most friendly people who make feel like you are one of the family.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 which was nice. It had a queen size bed in one room and a sitting room with a t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed with our two teenage boys here the night before a backpacking trip into the Porcupine Mountains. The room was sparce and dated but clean. The location is beautiful with a short walk to the beach from the hotel. Next time, we would try and get a cabin, just to have some extra space, but we were happy with what we got for the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Enjoyed a great weekend. Spent an evening in conversation with the owner and three other guests. The Scott's provide a friendly, homely atmosphere. They put me in a suite with plenty of room and amenities. The hotel is clean and well-appointed.

In addition to the suite I occupied, they showed me cabins that they also have available. They are beautiful, with great views over Lake Superior -- but larger than I required.

Will definitely return.

Room Tip: This hotel is off of the highway -- watch closely for directional signs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My family stayed in one of the cabins for a week. We had a great view of lake superior. The cabin had everything we needed and was so beautiful. The owners are very nice. Don also took us on a guided fishing trip. We caught pike and a few bass. It was so much fun. We had a great stay. We come back every year.

• Stayed: July 2011