“Poor Experience”
Review of Sunset Lodge B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Omena
Sunset Lodge B&B
Ranked #1 of 4 Omena B&B and Inns
Durand, Michigan
“Poor Experience”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed in the building next to the main lodge in what was less than pleasant conditions. Alkthough the rooms were decorated very nice and were clean, it was uncomfortably cold with just a small space heater. the bathroom received no heat from the heater and was freezing.

Then during the night a feral cat (we think) killed a skunk under our rooms. The smell was horrible all night long but obviously there was nothing to do about it at the time. However, when we talked to the owners the next morning they never offered us a discount, or coupon for our next visit, or even seemed to take our uncomfortable experience seriously. We won't return again.

Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greatlakestraveler2

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ortonville, Michigan
Reviewed May 12, 2010

If you enjoy the Turn of the Century era, you're gonna love this B & B!
I've been going to the Sunset Lodge for 7 straight years; and we do a Fall Colors Bike/Winery tour right out of this location for a group of friends! They have 12 rooms; of which I've personally stayed in 5 different ones; and all are fabulous/huge/ensuite bath/each with their own decorum. The owners, Dave and Linda, are so gracious and generous with our group. There's even space for all 24 of us in the renovated old Dining Hall for breakfasts (served to us; yum-yum; love the stuffed French toast, and Scotch Eggs!); and the use of the Hall for our group dinners.
We love coming to this location in the Leelanau; and B & B; and look forward to it each Fall. It's very peaceful; with the exception of an occasional rowdy game of 'Pickle Ball'!
There are quiet spaces all over the three different houses (all next to each other); and the grounds are charmingly country. This property overlooks the West Grand Traverse Bay; and you can see the Mission Peninsula from the hill the Lodge is on.
And, there's a winery (Leelanau Cellars) at the foot of the property; located on Omena Bay (part of Lake Michigan). The bar attached to the LC ('Knot Just a Bar") has a great 'all you can eat fish fry' each Friday; so we usually end up there our first night.
There is a casino three miles south of the property; and don't forget to check out the quaint old fishing village of Leland, where you can find smoked fish, cheeses, and other interesting finds.
If you miss this B & B and the Leelanau peninsula of Michigan, you will have missed two of the greatest spots in this country.
Liked Best: Turn of the Century charm, breakfasts, location, wineries, hilly biking, fabulous Fall colors, hosts are the best; Cool game room, No TV (Except in bedrooms)
Liked Least: Being snowed on during our bike ride (one year out of 7!)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MamaMona01
Brecksville, Ohio
Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband and I had done some research and decided the Leelanau peninsula would require an extra day to explore beyond the Sleeping Bear area. We heard the northern end of the peninsula was far less crowded and quite appealing, so we looked for a place to stay in the area. We found few choices and many were booked as it was only a week or two before a trip in early August. When I found the Sunset Lodge, I decided it was worth a try.

We were not disappointed. They were so friendly. We stayed in the Centennial room in the Wheeler House. The room was nice and clean. The bathroom was large for an older inn. Breakfast was also a wonderful experience. There are so many activities onsite and a winery across the street (although there are many better ones on the peninsula), as well as views of the bay. They do not take credit cards, so I had to remember to bring a check, but that's not a complaint.

I don't expect to get back to that part of Michigan anytime soon, but if I do, I would plan my trip to stay at the Sunset Lodge again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
michigan
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My best friend and I took our yearly girls weekend and headed off for the Lelenau Peninsula of Michigan. Our only contact with this place was on the website, and it looked quite charming. We were pleased to see that when we arrived the pictures of the home and rooms on the web had been very accurate- all of the rooms were attractively decorated and immaculate. Our hosts were anxious to see that we had everything that we needed and were able to offer many suggestions for attractions and restaurants in the area. Our breakfast was delicious- the fresh fruits were wonderful. We decided to extend our stay 1 more day, but the rooms in the B&B part of the lodge were already booked. On the same property are 2 more homes that have been converted and for a very resonable price we had a very nice room that included a full kitchen which would have slept 4 people. Our entire stay was very pleasant and it is easy to see why they enjoy such a repeat customer base.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Whitehall, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My friend and I decided to take a last minute weekend getaway. We had hoped to have Fri/Sat night, but unfortunately could only make time for Saturday night. We live in Michigan 2.5 hours down the coast of Lake Michigan from our destination in Leelanau County.

Our plan was to enjoy some rest and relaxation without schedule, and to do some wine taste testing at the Leelanau wineries. What a perfect weekend! The only drawback was we didn't stay for two nights vs one.

I did my usual tripadvisor research on the area and decided on Sunrise Motel and Resort. Sunrise offered what seemed to be a great location with its own beach, at a good price. Before making a non-refundable reservation (it was less than 7 days before our arrival) I called my friend with the details for her approval. She agreed and when I called back the next day Sunrise Resort was booked! As they say, everything for a reason....

After further research I found Sunset Lodge in the village of Omena. It wasn't right on the water, however offered bay views. After talking to Dave the owner via phone I was convinced this was the right place to stay. When booking I was surprised he didn't take a credit card for the reservation. They accept only cash or check so your word is relied upon for showing up. This is how things operate in Omena and at the Sunset Lodge, and I for one really LIKE it!

My friend and I arrived at 5pm after a wonderful, albeit rainy and cool day spent shopping in Suttons Bay, also located on the Leelanau Peninsula, and right on the drive to Sunset Lodge. Upon arrival we were met at the car by Dave, the owner with a smile and a handshake. He offered information and the history of Sunset, helped us unload our car and he led us to our unbelievably quaint, cozy, and SUPER clean room!! It looked as though it has just been refurbished and painted. Everything from the bathroom, to the floors, to the linens and the perfectly stocked kitchenette were nothing less than immaculate!!!

After check-in we went to the main house and Dave showed us around, as well as gave us a map of Leelanau adding personalized tidbits of information about each destination (where to eat, where to shop, etc) FABULOUS! We were off on our adventure. We tried to make the wine tasting offered just down the hill from our lodging at Leelanau Cellars, but arrived at 6:02pm, and all wineries close at 6pm (except Sundays, they close at 5pm) We didn't know this and were disappointed, but decided to drive approximately 30 minutes across the peninsula to Leland for shopping, and my friend's need to have a "smoked chub" which she remembered from childhood visits. Shopping was fabulous! Leland reminds me very much of a Pentwater, MI and Saugatuck, MI, but on a smaller scale, and certainly with its own unique character! Sadly, the smokehouse selling chubs was out of the fish for the day. However, it's worth the 30 minute trip to experience all that is Leland and view the Maintou islands in the distance.

We drove back around 8pm and decided to try "Knot just a bar" which literally is a stone's throw down the hill from our bed and breakfast. Notably, Dave encouraged us to choose our eatery by 9pm as many chefs head home around that time of evening. We arrived at "Knot just a bar", around 8:45pm, and it was HOPPING!!! Filled with many locals and tourists, and offering incredible views of the bay! I read on tripadvisor the fish and chips was not to be missed and they are RIGHT! My friend and I had been eating all day and were far from able to eat an entire order apiece.... HA, or so we thought! We ordered one dinner to split. Soon after our first bite of fish we knew we needed to order another! We asked the waitress if we could just order four more pieces of fish and she said with a smile, "No problem!". (Dinner was 14.99 and just 8.00 for four more pieces of fish :) YUM! Three glasses of wine and two hours later we enjoyed the short jaunt back up the hill to our quaint lodging.

The next day we went for an hour walk along Isthmus road, off the busy two lane through way. We enjoyed beautiful vistas of the water view, passing people always willing to say "hello" and give a wave. We made omlettes in the kitchenette in our room and enjoyed them via the front porch on a glider overlooking the grounds and bay. We checked out of our lovely accommodations which had no vacancy, and notably we never were disturbed by other guests' noise which included many young children!

This being the first time I stayed in a bed and breakfast I was concerned with privacy. I have to say it was absolutely perfect! Dave never intruded upon our plans, he only assisted in accomplishing them! As for the beach access being a concern there is a very nice, small, clean public beach at Omena Park just down the road, next to Knot Just a Bar. There is also a very quaint little grocery store just down the hill, again within walking distance from Sunset which has all you will need for your stay in Omena.

Lastly, while we were in Omena we happened upon the Historical Society's Mayoral Induction ceremonies and parade. All candidates were ANIMALS! (I do not use this as a euphemisms) They were literally dogs! Okay, okay, there was a cat, a horse, a worm and a snail, too! Omena's residents great outlook and idea of fun is evident! What a hoot! The candidates photos were posted in local businesses, on signs in yards, etc!! They all dressed up for the parade along with their "campaign managers/owners" in full regalia. My favorite slogan was for "No poop left behind" (I suspect the campaign managers were Michigan educators) Although my preferred candidate did not win it was good time for all and quite a unique fundraiser for the Historical Society of Omena! I love this village and its people so much I want to MOVE to OMENA!!

We are definitely going back! My friend is already planning a trip with her boyfriend next month and planning on staying at Sunset!
THANKS FOR A GREAT WEEKEND :)
Laurie

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Northport
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We were incredibly disapointed with our experience there. In spite of advertising themselves as a family establishment, these proprietors despise children. Based on their perception of "bad" behavior by children, they applied arbitrary additional charges to our bill. When a clearer explanation of the charges was demanded, they tried several bogus explanations before finally reimbursing us for half the cost and admitting that they had initially not intended to charge anything additional but did so after the fact.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ME37
Michigan
Reviewed March 29, 2008

A beautiful B&B with delightful grounds and views. The hosts are incredibly kind and accommodating. The breakfast they served was truly unforgettable. One of the side dishes was a mango/blueberry salsa, and it was delectable! The Teddy Bear room is quite clean, comfortable, and cozy. The bathrooms were excellent and you will definitely enjoy your experience here. We took walks to the town from the Sunset Lodge. Excellent location and a perfect summer getaway.

• Liked — The beautiful Victorian architecture, lovely bathrooms, and delicious breakfast.
  • Disliked — They didn't accept credit cards and we had to drive into town to find an ATM.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omena
The Leland Lodge
The Leland Lodge
#1 of 1 in Leland
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort
Cambria hotel & suites Traverse City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
Korner Kottage Bed & Breakfast
The Sylvan Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Sunset Lodge B&B? Share your experiences!