“Very disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Okemos
Detroit, Michigan
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

I checked in at 6 pm after a long day with much work to do in the evening. I had been given an "upgrade" because of my Marriott rewards status. The room was on the first floor (there was no similar room on the second), it smelled of smoke and the window lock wasn't secure. I looked at it and immediately asked for a second floor room. I was told they couldn't give me one and, if I didn't want the room, I would be charged since it was after 6 pm. This left me with a very poor impression of their customer service. It took a call to a manager before the room charge was deleted and I found myself searching for a new place at the last minute, but with no intention of returning to the Fairfield. (The hotel computer wasn't working to help me with my search, either.)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Santa Clarita
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2008

I was very happy with the value at this particular Fairfield Inn. I had a long day of business (started in Detroit, then to Ann Arbor before East Lansing in the evening) and was too tired at the end of the day to head back to the Detroit area so at the last minute I was able to secure a room.
At $129 for a room with a jacuzzi, I was sold. The property is very basic, nothing fancy, but it was clean and well maintained. The in-room jacuzzi was actually quite fancy with a waterfall flowing down the back of it and submerged lights all around. The jacuzzi is located in the room itself so I was able to relax while watching a football game on the television. Towels were on the small side, but two did the job.
If you need good, basic accommodations in the MSU area, this is a solid choice.

• Liked — Value, friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Small bathroom, minimal bath products
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Wheelersburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2008

Very nice hotel! Rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel has a very nice pool and hot tub area. The breakfast is very nice as well with microwave Jimmy Dean sandwiches, hot oatmeal, make-your-own waffles, yogurt and fruit. Staff was great and we enjoyed our stay. We were traveling with a school group and we were given a reduced "government" rate of only $65 per night!

• Stayed May 2008
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

I needed a hotel in the Leslie area account of my brothers funeral ,which because of the holidays and other reasons was
spread out over several days.. We live 220 miles away. The employee asked why we were coming to Okemos and when I told him he said they had a funeral rate. I have never heard of such a thing. The rate helped us greatly. Then when we left we forgot a pillow ,wife called and they said you forgot your pillow and it will be here for you when you return the next day.

All the help there was excellent the faclity was great and location perfect.
Empolyees of Fairfield Okemos THANK YOU
Fairfield Inn Corp Thank You
We will be watching for Fairfield Inns on our way to FL. Sunday6th and Monday 7th

Keith Banister
keithrb_4@hotmail.com

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

Our son attends Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine. We went up to visit him after his first week of school, on Labor Day weekend. Being from Maryland, and knowing nothing at all about the East Lansing area, we were at the mercy of TripAdvisor and other websites that rate hotels. After calling several of our first choice hotels and finding no vacancies we started to panic. Been in that position before, and ended up settling for substandard accomodations. Thankfully, Fairfield Inn had vacancies and looked ok. Reviews were good. Here's mine: The hotel is located back in a business park, so it's quiet and safe. It's far enough from the MSU campus to feel removed, but a very quick drive when you want to get back to the campus. The desk clerks were delightful and extremely helpful. There were delicious chocolate chip cookies on a plate at the front desk in the evening. The room was sparkling clean (I work for a cleaning company). The decor was updated. The bed was more than adequate, and made correctly (-: with nice sheets. There is a window that actually opens!!! in the room. The night was cool. We had fun scaring starlings in the tree right outside of our window. There were millions of them and they made a lot of noise. If you banged on the window they all flew. Cheap entertainment, like being in a weird sci fi movie. They all shut up and went to bed after the sun went down. There is a free complimentary breakfast in a lovely room next to the lobby that overlooks the indoor pool. It had a wonderful assortment of healthy and not so healthy choices for breakfast. If you go away hungry from this place then you're way too picky. My only complaint was that TripAdvisor advertised the average rate significantly lower than the 130.00 per night that we paid. But 130.00 is still a great deal these days for a good hotel room and a meal. We would stay at Fairfield again in a heartbeat. If your visiting the area in the spring, summer or fall with children, there is a lot to do. There is a zoo in Lansing that we did not have time to visit, but everyone says it's great. On the MSU campus, open to the public, there is a 4-H children's garden. Absolutely enchanting. That's all folks!

• Liked — Cleanliness, breakfast, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave my son and go home )-:
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2005

I wasn't really expecting much after getting this hotel for $40 on priceline, but it was surprisingly comfortable and nice. The staff was very friendly and even asked me where exactly in the hotel i'd like to stay.
The continental breakfast was extensive, they even had fresh waffles.
The room has high ceilings and about 90 channels on cable. Beds were average but very comfortable, and the room was spotless. I was in East Lansing for 4 days, so this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank oregone
Malvern, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2005

This hotel is conveniently close to I-96 (Okemos Road exit). Nice looking brick exterior, well lit at night. Just two stories high; interior hallway. Friendly and helpful staff; gave an outstanding restaurant recommendation. Room and bathroom were clean; nondescript decor. Quiet area; exterior noise was not a problem. Room was nonsmoking; however, could still detect smoke odors either from rooms below or from previous guests who ignored no smoking. Heater worked well (was very cold outside). No problems with hot water. Room had a nice comfortable chair for reading. Did not try fitness room or complimentary breakfast. I couldn't pass up a hearty, country breakfast at the Cracker Barrel restaurant located adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank Keystone_Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okemos
Hampton Inn & Suites East Lansing / Okemos
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Candlewood Suites - East Lansing M.S.U
Red Roof Inn Lansing East
Red Roof Inn Lansing East
#18 of 25 in Lansing
East Lansing Marriott at University Place

Been to Fairfield Inn East Lansing? Share your experiences!