“Not the best deal in the area.”

Fairfield Inn East Lansing
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Okemos
San Francisco, California
“Not the best deal in the area.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've stayed here twice and won't stay again. If you're at this hotel for work--and it's hard to imagine anyone on vacation choosing this location--you might be disappointed. The wireless is free but it's terrible. It constantly cuts in and out. Having a solid wireless connection is so important when traveling for work! Just looking up Google maps for the area took forever. Ended up having to use my mobile wireless which is expensive, thus deleting any advantage I might have had with the hotel free wifi.
The front doors are not automatic. If you're entering the hotel with a suitcase and a briefcase--not impossible, considering that IT'S A HOTEL and people enter with luggage--the front staff just watch you struggle to get the doors open.
No elevators. If you have a suitcase, a laptop bag, a to-go dinner in a paper bag, and maybe an important work file in your hand--another scenario not too surprising for a hotel--you'll be uncomfortable getting up the stairs after you bang your arms around a bit in the non-automatic front door.
The staff are nothing special. Friendly and nice, but they won't help you much. I called the front desk to tell them my heater wasn't working. They couldn't help me. At all. There was no operations person working that night and the woman working the front desk said bluntly, "I have no idea how those things work." I asked for a different room and she said they were full. She did offer an extra blanket in case I got "too freezing" but in general seemed annoyed I was bothering her.
The rooms are a nice size and they have microwaves and fridges. And the hotel is right next to the freeway, some gas stations, a Starbucks, a couple of restaurants. So that's nice. But you can get a nicer place for the same money. Also the rooms, while big and clean looking, smell moldy. Once you've had the A/C on or the window open you can hide it, but if you walk in after being gone for the day, it's *very* unpleasant. I've stayed in two different rooms and they both smelled like mold.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest “Bay A”,

Thank you taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during both of your stays. We understand the frustration that our guests have with our front doors not being automatic and not having an elevator. Our staff tries to assist each and every guest with their luggage because of the inconveniences. In March our internet was upgraded to 10MB to help strengthen our signal for our guests. I was unaware that there were issues with our internet that evening, but I will inform our internet company immediately so that this will not be an issue anymore.

I would like to get more information from you on the rooms you stayed in so that I can follow up on the claims you had with the heater and the smell as well as the desk attendant that was working that evening. If you can please email me directly so we can further discuss your stays I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. My email address is ffi.lanfi.gm@marriott.com

Hope to hear from you soon,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at this property last weekend to be closer to a test I was taking. When i went to check in, i had a family and friends discount due to the fact a family member works at marriott i think highly of them and all there properties inwhich i have never had a problem until now. I checked in and first i need to get on the computer to print off the release card to stay there, when asked the front desk clerk Suzzie was very rude and said that somethings couldnt be done. Once I found a computer and printed it off she then came back with a snotty response and said that i need the orginal copy and couldnt be the one i printed off, inwhich it was the orginal i just never printed it off yet. I told her that my family member was currently in new orleans and preparing to get ready for the hurricane to which I needed to print this off. She had no sense of caring about it and was just worried about the fact that i printed it off there. I love staying at marriott and love the brand but this was an unfortunate experiance and my family and I have never had problem before staying at marriotts with the family and friends rate (which isnt that big of difference) but we still like marriott as we travel alot. It is unfortunate that you have Suzzie at the front desk and how rude she is. After i got to my room i then needed to go back down because they charged my card twice she got fussy and said they cant release the double payment until 24 hours after. Im not sure if that is correct I had no intention on saying anything to my family member considering there in a middle of a hurricane in new orleans. I hope that this gets better for this property but i do not intented to stay there ever again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lauren b
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel and for bringing this issue to our attention. We truly listen and appreciate all of our guests feedback and I want to apologize for the issues you had. We hope you will give us another chance if you will be traveling to the area again in the future.

Thank you.
Fennville, Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This location of the FairField in is a great choice if you are in town to attend a class or other activity at MSU. Only 8 minutes or less to the campus but far enough away to have a more relaxed atmosphere and yes, a lower daily rate! My room was very clean and fresh - not always a given when you are traveling. The staff was very friendly and extra helpful when I needed a little extra help connecting with classmates that were staying at a different hotel. Breakfast was the standard fare of waffles, oatmeal cereals etc.... but the dining room was very clean and the food was fresh and well stocked. All in all - a great place to stay!

Room Tip: They do not have an elevator so if you have trouble with stairs - request a ground level room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Pumpkinhome
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review for our hotel! We hope to see you again in the future and thanks for leaving the room tip for other travelers!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night for business. Friendly, fast check-in, clean comfortable room. Rarely give 5 stars but little things count: Great water pressure, window that opens wide for fresh air, a complimentary bottle of water with no BS charge for it. Workout room was functional. Didnt't avail myself of the pool. Highway, restaurants minutes away. My electronics said they were connected to wireless, but could get no data...my only issue.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mcdirt
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for our hotel. We appreciate all the feedback we receive and we are glad you enjoyed our small welcome gifts. We hope to see you again in the future!!
Charleston, IL
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have to begin by mentioning the superior effort the staff makes relative to customer service, In particular, Darnetta Moore. She went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. We were in town for a funeral and upon returning from the wake, found a sympathy card in one of our rooms from her and the staff. That was a first for me from any hotel! Darnetta made us feel like we were being welcomed and cared for by family and provided directions, advice, and always, always, always, was kind and attentive. She is the classic example of customer focus and a HUGE asset to the hotel management. As for the rooms-large and clean, clean, clean and very comfortable. We appreciated the refrigerator and microwave. Breakfast included many choices and all was tasty. We will stay here again when we come to E. Lansing.

Room Tip: No elevator--ask for a room on the first floor, especially if you are seniors.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stacey W, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We really appreciate the feedback, and are undoubtedly blessed to have Darnetta on our team! We hope to see you in the future!
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August while in town for a wedding. The rooms were VERY well air-conditioned, which was fantastic. The gym is tiny but sufficient, and the breakfast was more expansive than expected. The rooms are very large, and the microwave and mini fridge are welcome amenities. Couldn't have been happier.

But it doesn't end there - when we got back home my fiance realized he'd left a dress shirt there. I called and they had it and were ready to send it. I then got an email from the manager saying she'd be in my town this weekend for a wedding and could bring it with her and leave it at the front desk, saving me the shipping cost of sending the shirt cross-country. Now, obviously this isn't going to happen to everyone (serendipity of timing and all), but the fact that she would even consider going that extra step is pretty fantastic. I'm not sure if I'll find myself in the Okemos area again, but if I do, I'm staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We greatly appreciate it, and take our guest's feedback to heart. We hope to see you again in the future!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Fairfield for one night and noticed it had been updated recently. New carpet, mattresses, wallpaper, bed coverings, etc. The decor is pretty modern. The room was large and had a very large flat screen tv, as well as a microwave and refrigerator. We thought it odd that someone had left a yoga mat under the sink area outside of the bathroom. Well, we were exhausted from driving and were anxious to shower and go to bed. However, the bathroom floor flooded after my daughter used the shower, even though the shower curtain was closed. We used all the towels to wipe it up and ran the water in the tub to see what was going on. A stream of water started coming out from where the wall meets the tub so I checked on the other side of the wall (outside the bathroom door where the sink and water main was) and the carpet was soaked! Aha - that is why someone had the yoga mat there... so we hurriedly got packed up again and went down to reception to report it and get a room change. The young man there promptly apologized, and upgraded us to a King suite. The new room was very similar to the other - but had a pull out sofa and more chairs. The bed was a bit It was good, just wish there was a larger vanity - hard to share space when there are two women with beauty products!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest Musimom,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay. I want to apologize for the experience you had in the first room but I am so glad the front desk attendant took care of you right away. We appreciate all the feedback that we get from our guests and we can't wait to see you again in the future!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okemos
Hampton Inn & Suites East Lansing / Okemos
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Candlewood Suites - East Lansing M.S.U
East Lansing Marriott at University Place
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Fairfield Inn East Lansing? Share your experiences!