The hotel recently converted to a Holiday Inn Express and went under a major renovation. Though the hotel is nice on the surface, there was more that needed to be done. Walking in, was greeted by three desk clerks and only one had a smile on their face, come to find out it was the new girl while the two sullen looking people were the manager and assistant manager to the front desk. There was a group of six rooms booked under a discounted rate (about $25 dollars less than Corp rate) and all but two of us had problems.
Upon arrival, I decided to get my own room instead of sharing one with my parents because I didn't want to sleep on a pullout couch and everything looked so nice and new, I decided to splurge. When asking about rooms, Brandy the assistant manager informed me there were only 5 rooms left with two double beds only and she would not go below $89 since $99 was the Corp rate. I said I was adding a room to the room block of $73 and she told me that was impossible. Having worked front desk for four years at a ski and golf resort I know this was downright lie. I quickly informed her of that, and she walked away from me to be dealt with the new girl. Both of us were flabbergasted with neither one of us knowing what to do. I left for dinner, came back and the manager was back behind the desk. I told him about his assistant manager and how disappointed I was with her lack of customer service and was quickly booked into a room with two queen beds (kings were sold out) at a rate of $73. When I asked how many rooms were left, he told me 25! So, if Brandy was indeed truthful with me, then within the hour I was gone, 20 rooms opened up including suites and a room with two queens. I was again shocked.
When I got into my room, everything looked very nice and clean. I quickly got into my swimsuit as they have a beautiful glass enclosed pool area. The pool was very warm and the hot tub was a real hot tub and they supplied big towels by the pool and not the usual tiny ones with the blue strip (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.) Things were looking good until I went back to my room to shower and found pubic hair on the shower floor. I called down to the desk and when Brandy answered, I hung up right away since she was so "accomodating" before. I went down to my parents room and used their shower instead.
When I got back to my room, I opened the new bed up, bedding/sheets, and pillows to get an amazing nights rest, these beds are comprable to those found at Marriotts. I was very impressed and had forgotten about my problems until I found what appeared to be mens body fluids on the green blanket at the end of my bed. I was disgusted. I went downstairs to catch the continental breakfast and again was pleasantly surprised. The famous Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls were amaing as always and also had omletes, bagels, toast, cereal. I checked out, told the girl, Amanda, about my numerous problems. And she apologized over and over while deducting another $20 off my stay, bringing it to $53 (almost half off the Corp rate.) And even though the rate was brought down and there were some great things about the hotel, I was very disappointed. Can you imagine how much more angry I would be if I was one of the guests paying the $99 with these problems.
Remember the other eight rooms I was telling you about. Well one of them was a jacuzzi suite and shot out rust colored water which also looked out to rusty heater and brick wall. The toilet in my parents room was broken and everytime you sat down, it shifted. There were also no sheets/pillows provided for the pullout couch I had to sleep on the second night since I was about to pay for another nights stay. Another room had dirty sheets on the bed forcing a 60 year old couple to sleep in a double bed together. My sisters room showerhead came off in the middle of the night awaking her and her husband with a big bang.
Despite all the improvements, there is much needed to be done. I had about a 60% satisfaction rating and it would have been even lower had I paid more. Customer service needs to be improved. Housekeeping needs to be improved. The only thing that doesn't is the breakfast, pool and gym complete with weights, plasma tv, elipticals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Lansing-Okemos Hotel Near Michigan Attractions Lodging at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites of Lansing-Okemos, Michigan, puts you within five miles of Michigan State University and ten minutes from the Michigan Capital and the Capital City Airport (LAN). Business travelers will enjoy our East Lansing accommodations near downtown Lansing and the political center of the state. The automotive manufacturing companies that give Lansing its 'Car Capitol of North America' title are a short drive from our hotel. Business travelers lodging in our Okemos hotel who need to host a meeting may use the Conference Center, which includes a 3000 sq. ft. ballroom that can accommodate from 8-200 people . Our East Lansing hotel is surrounded by the beauty of Michigan and the excitement of downtown Lansing. Pack a picnic and relax at a riverfront park or see the animals at the Potter Park Zoo. This hotel near Michigan State University is surrounded by sporting venues, so don't forget your favorite Michigan team's jersey and grab tickets to a baseball, football or hockey game at a nearby stadium. You can relax on your Okemos hotel room's pillow top mattress with triple-sheeted bedding. The Fitness Center, free high-speed, wired and wireless Internet access and a complimentary breakfast bar allow you to travel without disturbing your routine. Call the East Lansing Holiday Inn Express now for great hotel rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, IHG, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Lansing-Okemos (Msu Area)
- Holiday Inn Express Okemos
- Holiday Inn Okemos
- Okemos Holiday Inn