Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Okemos
Northern KY
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed at the HIE Okemos for a family reunion, and it was excellent. It was great for kids, with big, immaculate rooms and a nice breakfast. The pool area was top notch - not your usual stinky indoor pool - complete with potted trees and patio style umbrella tables and chairs. The best feature of this hotel though was the staff - even the cleaning staff was friendly and available. We will recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not a ton of fresh fruit or whole grains on the breakfast buffet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was a nice clean Holiday Inn Express. Our rate was $98 for a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. You will have to shop and negotiate a little for that. Breakfast was excellent. Pool area was excellent. Crowded at times, due to a couple of large groups of ball players. No problems from front desk, and overall would stay here again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Pool area crowded.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2007

The hotel recently converted to a Holiday Inn Express and went under a major renovation. Though the hotel is nice on the surface, there was more that needed to be done. Walking in, was greeted by three desk clerks and only one had a smile on their face, come to find out it was the new girl while the two sullen looking people were the manager and assistant manager to the front desk. There was a group of six rooms booked under a discounted rate (about $25 dollars less than Corp rate) and all but two of us had problems.

Upon arrival, I decided to get my own room instead of sharing one with my parents because I didn't want to sleep on a pullout couch and everything looked so nice and new, I decided to splurge. When asking about rooms, Brandy the assistant manager informed me there were only 5 rooms left with two double beds only and she would not go below $89 since $99 was the Corp rate. I said I was adding a room to the room block of $73 and she told me that was impossible. Having worked front desk for four years at a ski and golf resort I know this was downright lie. I quickly informed her of that, and she walked away from me to be dealt with the new girl. Both of us were flabbergasted with neither one of us knowing what to do. I left for dinner, came back and the manager was back behind the desk. I told him about his assistant manager and how disappointed I was with her lack of customer service and was quickly booked into a room with two queen beds (kings were sold out) at a rate of $73. When I asked how many rooms were left, he told me 25! So, if Brandy was indeed truthful with me, then within the hour I was gone, 20 rooms opened up including suites and a room with two queens. I was again shocked.

When I got into my room, everything looked very nice and clean. I quickly got into my swimsuit as they have a beautiful glass enclosed pool area. The pool was very warm and the hot tub was a real hot tub and they supplied big towels by the pool and not the usual tiny ones with the blue strip (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.) Things were looking good until I went back to my room to shower and found pubic hair on the shower floor. I called down to the desk and when Brandy answered, I hung up right away since she was so "accomodating" before. I went down to my parents room and used their shower instead.

When I got back to my room, I opened the new bed up, bedding/sheets, and pillows to get an amazing nights rest, these beds are comprable to those found at Marriotts. I was very impressed and had forgotten about my problems until I found what appeared to be mens body fluids on the green blanket at the end of my bed. I was disgusted. I went downstairs to catch the continental breakfast and again was pleasantly surprised. The famous Holiday Inn Express cinnamon rolls were amaing as always and also had omletes, bagels, toast, cereal. I checked out, told the girl, Amanda, about my numerous problems. And she apologized over and over while deducting another $20 off my stay, bringing it to $53 (almost half off the Corp rate.) And even though the rate was brought down and there were some great things about the hotel, I was very disappointed. Can you imagine how much more angry I would be if I was one of the guests paying the $99 with these problems.

Remember the other eight rooms I was telling you about. Well one of them was a jacuzzi suite and shot out rust colored water which also looked out to rusty heater and brick wall. The toilet in my parents room was broken and everytime you sat down, it shifted. There were also no sheets/pillows provided for the pullout couch I had to sleep on the second night since I was about to pay for another nights stay. Another room had dirty sheets on the bed forcing a 60 year old couple to sleep in a double bed together. My sisters room showerhead came off in the middle of the night awaking her and her husband with a big bang.

Despite all the improvements, there is much needed to be done. I had about a 60% satisfaction rating and it would have been even lower had I paid more. Customer service needs to be improved. Housekeeping needs to be improved. The only thing that doesn't is the breakfast, pool and gym complete with weights, plasma tv, elipticals.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Customer Service (Brandy especially), Uncleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Robert D
shelby township Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2005

My wife & I stayed overnight while in town for a dance competition. We had an upstairs executive suite with jacuzzi. We travel quite a bit, being dance instructors and are very particular of our hotels. We tend to frequent Comfort Inns, although not exclusively. At check in we encountered an extemely friendly and welcoming employee at the desk. We are also non-smokers and my wife is extremely sensitive to smoke. We were concerned at first because walking to our suite we could smell smoke in the hallway, but our rooms were indeed smoke free. Also, one advantage to staying in a suite, the bedroom is far back from the common hall. The sitting area and kitchen act as a buffer, so that you don't hear the people walking up and down the hall as they talk.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank bobtravis42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okemos
Hampton Inn & Suites East Lansing / Okemos
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Candlewood Suites - East Lansing M.S.U
Fairfield Inn East Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
#1 of 25 in Lansing
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites East Lansing

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)? Share your experiences!