“Great Stay (extended)”

Best Western Okemos/East Lansing Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Okemos
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Okemos during a business trip for a couple weeks. I received a great rate as well as a suite for participating in their extended stay program. Their price breaks are 1-14 nights and then 15+ nights.

Room: Since I was in a suite the room was clean and spacious. The hotel is separated into the standard rooms on one side and the suites on the other with conference rooms in the middle. My room contained such features as:
-> Cable
-> DVD player
-> Work desk
-> Larger bathroom (two sinks)
-> Separate "living" room
-> Mini-fridge and sink (bar)
House keeping was always consistent and I did not have any problems or concerns during my stay.

Staff: Their staff was friendly and curious. I didn't have much interaction over the course of my stay, but I think that's a positive note anyway.

Amenities: I definitely enjoyed my stay while utilizing their indoor pool, jacuzzi, and fitness room. They also have a laundry room for those extended trips or emergencies.

- Pool: GREAT! For a "express" hotel, the pool was spacious. What I enjoyed most was the ambiance of the outdoor setting with natural light over the pool. The jacuzzi could have been bigger, but can still fit 4-6 people.

- Fitness room: It's definitely not large, but I'd say it beats out many of the other hotels I've stayed at in the past. This room has free weight up to 55lbs, 2 treadmills, two elliptical, and a multi-purpose machine. The equipment was not too outdated and most of which in working order.

- Breakfast: I'd say this was one of the best features of the hotel. For those awaking early, the breakfast starts at 6AM. Although at times the food was not fully laid out until 10 after, it was still a great variety from which to choose. Some items include:
-> Omelets (pre made)
-> Biscuits and gravy
-> Cinnamon rolls (warm)
-> Ham or sausage (varies)
-> Pancakes with syrup (sugar free syrup available A+)
-> Hard boiled eggs
-> Cereals, oatmeal, bagels, coffee, juice, etc...

Location: It's located just outside of downtown, but if you're looking for bars/food, then it might be worth it to be closer to East Lansing. There is a family fun center located close by for any kids. There's an Applebee's and Cracker Barrel close by for lunch and dinner options along with a couple other more "fancy" options.

Overall I really didn't have too much to complain about. They are currently remodeling the hall way outside of my suite, but that's about it. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in this area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed in this holiday inn for more than two months on business in a King Size Bed Suite with a Jacuzzi. The staff were so-so friendly however, very accommodating. My only issue was the pests in my suite. I came in a night after being at work for 10 hours to a large centipede on the bathroom wall, it was a scary site. So I killed it and showered and got ready for bed. When I go into the bed, I watched another crawl up the wall and I killed that one too. I barely could sleep after that. Within the next two days, I killed two more centipedes and requested a room change. However, the new room ended up not being much better and I still would wake up to centipedes on the ceiling every other night. I bought a bottle of raid to combat the problem, but I will never stay here again. Centipedes are pest and their bites are like bee stings, I'll pass. They need to hire an exterminator. The only reason I noticed the pest problem is because I saw them in different areas of the hotel.

Also, every single suite has a jacuzzi so if someone below or next to your room is running it then you can hear the loud jacuzzi running which is annoying if you're trying to sleep at 1AM.

1  Thank Xc1usive
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Okemos/East Lansing Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Xc1usive,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We had a great stay at this HIE. The breakfast is nice, and the staff worked very diligently to tidy things up and replenish items. The room (we had a king jacuzzi suite) is clean, quite spacious, and the whole hotel just smells nice. The breakfast area is nicely decorated; I particularly liked the tables set up in the hallway by the windows. The wireless is a bit sketchy, but it's nothing too bad. The staff is all very courteous and helpful. Overall, the hotel is well kept and managed.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed there this week. Place was nice, clean, and safe. However if I knew across the street there was a Marriott affiliate hotel (Marriott's Rewards member) I would have stayed there. All the restaurants are across the street and if you want to walk you have to cross a 4 lane road. Staff was nice but in the end i would have rather stayed within walking distance of (Cracker Barrell, Applebees, McDonalds, etc).

Room Tip: None to add that would be helpful
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Since we were renting a room at the Okemos Conference Center, they placed us in a room closest to that facility. The room was very nice, clean, and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was very good, well stocked.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Clean hotel.
Wireless Internet was terrible. I needed to stand just right in order to get a signal.
Nonsmoking hotel, but every entrance reeked of smoke.
Apparently pets are allowed. Either the guy in the adjoining room had a barking wife or a big dog...

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Mexikinda
Reviewed December 11, 2011

The location is excellent if you are attending a conference at the Okemos Conference Center. They share a parking lot. I had a Friday/Saturday conference and this was perfect. I was going to get a Jacuzzi room and did not because the pictures of the pool area looked inviting. The hot tub in the pool area was down a foot and a half to two feet of water. The water barely covered the jets. The jets also stuck out kind of funny so I got nailed in the back with one and was not a happy camper. The bed quality was okay but not great. The room was clean but kind of 'blah'. The staff was very friendly except for the security/maintenance guy in the pool area. Male staff shouldn't hover when there is one female guest in the hot tub - there was at least 10 minutes until the pool closed for the night and that behavior could be interpreted as 'creepy'. I was pretty creeped out. I was also pretty creeped out by the thought that there might be a need for a security guard in this location. It made me feel like the hotel wasn't safe. I didn't bother with breakfast in the morning...at that point I just wanted to leave.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okemos
Staybridge Suites East Lansing-Okemos (MSU Area)
Hampton Inn & Suites East Lansing / Okemos
#1 of 26 in Lansing
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 26 in Lansing

Been to Best Western Okemos/East Lansing Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!