“You would need to know that it was there...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Haven

Red Haven
Ranked #4 of 113 Restaurants in Okemos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cobourg, Canada
“You would need to know that it was there...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

...because it is a well hidden secret. The food was really good as was the service. My only,very minor grouse, was that a table for four ordering the "fry" had only three shrimps on the dish. Sharing is cool but cutting shrimps in half - really? Otherwise excellent, interesting menu, good wine and pleasant staff. Well worth finding!

• Visited October 2013

Ann arbor
“Thoughtful food, wonderfully presented”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

It's obvious that the people here love what they do. The friendly waitstaff knows the menu and offers great recommendations. The food is really good - ingredients are locally sourced and seasonal. It's worth paying a bit more for this kind of quality. Anthony Bourdain ate here.

• Visited August 2013
Okemos, Michigan
“Good food, be prepared to pay more for the quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I were hesitant to try Red Haven at first. The online menu looked confusing and word on the street was that you pay a lot for small portions. We fully support the buy local movement and finally got around to eating here. The food was good and beautifully presented. There certainly was plenty to eat. Nothing on the menu was a traditional dish - be ready to try new things! I had the mash, which could have used more salt, the saltiness of the roe was not sufficient. I also had the roast (which was my favorite of my three choices) and the sear. My husband had the bisque, ravioli and grill. He enjoyed it all. This was the most expensive meal we have eaten out in the past year. We were fine with the price knowing the sources were local and everything was prepared in house. The restaurant was noisy and we had a some trouble hearing our waiter. This is a very casual restaurant despite the high prices. The staff was dressed in jeans and t-shirts décor was barnyard-chic.

• Visited September 2013
EAST LANSING
“The food was okay but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The wait staff at Red Haven was young, well-mannered, and personality plus. The ambience was excellent. The food was another matter.I thought the food at Red Haven was okay. Not great but okay. The salad was lovely ; they did take the trouble to put together quite an interesting assortment of salad greens and herbs. However, they drowned it with an excess of salad dressing. I think the dressing would have been better served on the side.
The dessert we ordered: s’mores was a big problem. It was tough and inedible, and the marshmallow topping was rubbery. When I mentioned this to the waiter, he brought out a steak knife for me to cut the s’mores with. I could barely cut them even with the steak knife. Is there policy to never return food that was improperly cooked? The classy thing would have been to ask if I wanted a different dessert. This dish should not be on their menu. The best thing we had there was the coffee.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank SCS399
Bangkok, Thailand
“Delicious small plates that leave you full”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We dined here during 'peach week' where every dish had peach in it. We ordered about 7 different dishes between us (with a few duplicates, so maybe 12 dishes in total for 5 of us). Each of them was delicious and included imaginative combinations of flavors and ingredients. I'm a vegetarian, but there was plenty of vegetarian dishes to keep me happy. Prices can add up with all of the small dishes, but it was worth it for the quality and diversity. The staff were also extremely friendly, which is always a bonus. If I am back in East Lansing again, I will likely add a trip to Red Haven to the agenda.

• Visited August 2013