“Wish we would have chosen a different hotel and eaten at the Melting Pot.”
Review of Novi Oaks Hotel

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

This was a little anniversary get away for us. Our plan was to visit Novi and spend the day together at the Christmas Wonderfest, Christmas shopping at the Novi mall, have a nice meal and stay the night at a Novi hotel. The shopping was wonderful, unfortunately tho, we chose this hotel and the Novi Chop House. Our original plan was to have dinner at the Melting Pot but we chose the Novi Chop House because it was convenient, we had never eaten there and the reviews were great. Upon reading the choices for hotels via TripAdvisor, the Crowne Plaza offered reasonable rates, a courtesy breakfast and the highly rated Novi Chop House, so why not stay? Here's why. When making the reservations we asked the gal what she thought of the Chop House, she didn't know because she had never eaten there. Upon check-in we asked for a quiet room and were given a room on the third floor in the atrium next to the pool. After relocating to a different room away from the atrium, our room was quiet however the bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows were like cement blocks. So why did we stay? Because it was a long, cold, day, our dinner (along with others seated near us) and service at the Chop House was terrible and because it was our anniversary, we were just trying to do the best we could to enjoy each other and our anniversary. Would we stay again? No. Would we eat at the Novi Chop House again? No. Lesson learned and hopefully we can save someone else the same inconveniences that we encountered.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReservationForTwo
Susan S, General Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear “Wish we would have chosen a different hotel and eaten at the Melting Pot.”
I was very disappointed to read your poor review of your most recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Novi. May I first apologize for the lack of knowledge regarding the Novi Chophouse as many our newer employees have not had an opportunity to eat in our four star restaurant The Novi Chop House. Often times our employees work during the day or simply do not have the opportunity to dine at their place of employment. It is our hope that the reputation and reviews for this restaurant proceed itself. Again, we apologize however for her candor and honesty regarding her personal experience at the restaurant.
Additionally, our General Manager for the Novi Chophouse would like to personally invite you back to rectify any service or lack of service issues that you may have experienced.
Finally, your feedback regarding the comfort of our beds is very important to us and to all future guests of the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Novi and is something we take very seriously. We also would like to invite you back to the hotel to experience another guest rooms that may be more suitable to your specific needs. This is not something we hear frequently and hope that it may have just been the case with this particular room.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My family traveled to Michigan for a weekend and chose to stay in this hotel. Overall, things were adequate. Room was clean. Bathroom was small. The room did not have a fridge, but it looked like there was space in an empty cabinet for one. While traveling with kids, it's always nice to have a fridge. We visited the pool and hot tub area, which was very disappointing. The pool was cool but the hot tub was not at all warm. It would have been nice to relax in the hot tub after a long day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I regularly travel to the area and always stay at the Crowne Plaza. My reasoning is the VALUE received. Helpful and friendly front desk, comfortable and attractive room, Linda playing the piano in the lobby (!!), breakfast food and hostess, all more than meet my requirements for a 'good stay'.

Room Tip: Walk a few extra steps by getting a room a little farther from front desk, simply to reduce traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this Crowne Plaza for a work conference. When I realized that the block of rooms for this particular conference was at the local Crowne Plaza, I was immediately disappointed and apprehensive. On a previous trip to Memphis (for fun), I had one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. And you guessed it… I stayed at a Crowne Plaza. So naturally I was not thrilled about my impending stay at yet another.

However I am happy to say that for me, this was a redeeming stay for this chain. The room was very clean, large, and well lit. The bed was very comfortable. The room itself was much larger than I expected- I had a desk, chair, king sized bed and a fairly sizable bathroom. I was never bothered at night by noise or unwanted light.

The lobby was very pretty. There was an indoor pool in the middle of the atrium which granted was random but hey if I had wanted to swim it would have been great. There was a cute little pond with some fish! These was also an outside pool which might have been nice during the warmer months. All of the staff that I encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. Parking at the hotel was free which I appreciated.

So while I went into this trip a firm Crowne Plaza hater, I find myself now more in the middle. I might not choose this chain while staying in a major city while on vacation, but if I find myself at one of these for work again, I won’t be so scared.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I visited the Crowne Plaza while coming to an academic conference in Novi. The hotel was adequate, but quite frankly disappointing for the price they charged. One of the rooms needed to have the air conditioning fixed, while the other just wasn't as nice or clear as we would have expected for the amount we paid.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel has one of the coolest lobbies I've seen. The atrium is well-appointed with furniture, the pool/spa, a Koi pond, and at night, the manager's reception for drinks/snacks. I asked for a quiet room on an upper floor and received a great room with a private balcony which overlooked an inner courtyard, greatly reducing any road noise from the nearby highway. Thanks!

The manager's reception was good for an evening cocktail amongst other guests, and the full bar in the Novi Chop House (the restaurant in the hotel) is nice, too. I didn't eat at the Chop House, but I heard it was great. There were plenty of dining options in the Twelve Mile Crossing at Fountain Walk (walking distance -- connected by parking lot to the hotel). I didn't use the spa, so I did not rate it.

Room Tip: Ask for the inner courtyard balcony rooms. They are very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a recent one day stay at this hotel for a business trip. I chose the hotel due to its location and very easy access to highway, and it is also a short drive from the airport.

First impression was great, even though I showed up very early in the morning I was given a room and the staff was very welcoming. The hotel itself seems well maintained and the pool in the central courtyard was interesting. There was a birthday party in the afternoon, but I took advantage of the hot tub in the evening and it was fine.

My room was a bit small and only had room for a lounge chair and workdesk. There was a some sort of cabinet in the room which looked as it if house a small refrigerator at some point, but now it is empty and held extra linens. the door did not close properly on it and would be best if it was removed to make the room feel a bit more open. I felt that the pillows were a bit stiff and even though there were four on the bed, they all felt the same. The bathroom was very tight and did not have a tub which was fine for me, but others may not like it.

I had great service and very helpful staff in the deli and only had dessert in the main restaurant, but even there the staff was very helpful and friendly.

Overall the hotel was a great value and the couple of minor issues mentioned above were greatly outpaced by the staff and price paid. I will return when in the area and would recommend to others as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business