“Nice place for 1 night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Novi Oaks Hotel

Novi Oaks Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Novi
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kalamazoo, MI
“Nice place for 1 night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel was fairly decent. The staff seemed extremely friendly. The pools were nice. I really liked the fact that there was an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. The location of the indoor pool was interesting. It was right in the lobby. Really nice for not having that whole stuffy, chlorine filled room that most hotels have but I was not going to swim in the pool that was right in the lobby. The kids said it was really nice though. Kind of loud when you first walk in the hotel and the pool is full of kids.

The elevators were a little on the scary side. A little jumpy. I would have liked to have more than 3 towels in the room, we had to go track down extras. I think any time that a room is set up to have 4 people sleep in it, they should have at least enough towels & washclothes for all of the guests.

The room was nice. The hotel overall was nice. It was quite, the beds were comfortable. One funny thing I noticed was that the faucets on the bathroom sink were backwards, the hot and cold were switched from normal.

I would stay there again, especially for the price we got on hotwire.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LBurchCpNovi, Front Office Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip adviser review for our hotel. Our guest feedback is very valuable to us. Happy to know that the kids loved the pool and that you as parents also loved the option of having both and indoor and outdoor pool accessible for you.

I truly apologize for your having to track down your own towels during your stay with us. We want you to know that we offer 24 hour staff assistance for all of our guests needs at just a phone call away. During your next stay with us put us to the test.... We will try our best to make your stay more than a nice place to stay for a night! We promise.

Have a great day and thanks again :~)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Not a great stay. Felt like i needed to wear my shoes in all areas of the room. Staff did respond promptly when it sounded like maybe a movie was being shot in the room next to me.
Good gym, lots of room. Close to Cherry blossom restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
One of the great assets to the Crowne Plaza is our wonderful staff! I am always pleased to know that our staff responded quickly to our guest needs and concerns and also that they were able to make your stay more comfortable. We apologize if our other guests were unruly and usually when noise complaints are made we take them very seriously, we have a no tolerance for disruptive behavior. Please accept our apologies for the incident.

Glad that you enjoyed our gym, please feel free to let us know if you have suggestions of which may improve our facility. We thank you for caring enough to let us know the good and bad and would love your feedback on ways to improve.

We look forward to hearing from you soon and offer direct contact information if you feel the need to share ideas, give feedback or if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. I can be reached @ lburch@cpnovi.com.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very nice room besides the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator and an empty cabinet. Also, there was a refrigerator in an adjoining room and the staff came in and took it without our permission. I don't like knowing someone was in our room without our knowledge except for a missing fridge...

Room Tip: I didn't have a refrigerator in my room and an empty cabinet didn't look nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for takiing the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. We were happy to view that you enjoyed your stay.

We apologize sincerely for the miscommunication with the refrigerators. The Crowne Plaza of Novi offers the use of refrigierators upon guest request and also based on availability. Our refrigerators are an additional cost of $10 per night for usage.

The cabinet in the room remains empty unless the request for a refrigerator has been made. Often times we find that our guest whom do not require a refrigerator to be placed with in their rooms use the additonal storage cabinet for luggage and or food items. Again, we apologize for any inconvience that this may have caused during your stay.
The refrigerator located within the additional room was placed there at the request of the previous guest. Housekeeping removed the refrigerator to ensure that the room was not charged for the usage of the refrigerator. I sincerely apologize for our staff not properly communicating with you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to speak with a manager in regards to the issue presented. I can be reached @ 1-248-348-5000.

Thank you so much for completing the review, we look forward to servicing you soon...
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a great day/evening at the hotel. The staff was very efficient and nice and the room was very clean. Also, a lot of nice places to shop and eat. Only one minor problem was with the TV station, couldn't find Fox Sports? Overall, great experience.

Room Tip: Only stay here once and the room was nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review! We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza of Novi.

We would also like to thank you for letting us know of your difficulty in finding the Fox station. We wanted you to know that our management staff is working with our service provider to assist us with locating and matching the exact listings for all of our channels. Your valuable feedback will help to save our future guest the trouble and also help our staff to provide exceptional service.

Hope to see you soon. :~)
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was clean, the room was nicely appointed. The staff could have been more friendly... They were quite busy, but still, I expect a hotel to offer excellent customer service. The housekeeping staff was much friendlier than the front desk staff. Nice workout facility, it was clean, and I felt comfortable there by myself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the cleanliness of our hotel and the room accommodations you received. Please allow us to apologize for the service you encountered that fell below your expectations and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Novi, MI.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toledo, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for a while, as I have had good experiences in the past with Crowne Plaza hotels and regularly visit the Novi area both for business and leisure.

While the rooms and interior hallways have been renovated in recent years, this is a very dated hotel. The lobby is dark, uninviting and lacks any atmosphere. Staff was friendly, but not overly welcome compared with other hotel chains where staff are trained to greet guests by their name (Mr/Mrs. ---) upon registration. I received no special recognition, despite being a Priority Club member. I also didn't receive a morning newspaper.

My king bedroom very clean with the exception of a half-filled bottle of beer that was left in the closet from a previous guest. The bathroom was bright and also clean (I’m a stickler for cleanliness). The room had a connecting door, but the adjoining room wasn’t occupied when I stayed and noise wasn’t an issue. In general, the hotel seemed very quiet – almost too vacant for a weeknight as there wasn’t any noise and I only ran into perhaps a dozen guests in the lobby during my stay. The complimentary high-speed wireless internet was a nice amenity. The TV was of reasonably quality, but the selection of channels could have been better. I couldn’t find a channel to watch the Detroit Red Wings playoff game, which was an inconvenience. I did have a problem with the air conditioning. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t get the room temperature below 75 degrees. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, but it wouldn’t work for me and I shouldn't have to be an air conditioning tradesman to figure it out. The room had a balcony overlooking a courtyard, which contained chairs, tables and a pool. The pool was unfilled and uncovered, which didn’t make for a pleasant sight. The balcony was also covered in bird feces, which didn’t make going out there too appealing.

The Crowne Plaza doesn’t have a hotel bar or bistro, which is almost unheard of these days. It has a deli, which serves up breakfast and lunches. The menu was decent, but it felt like a blue-collar Coney Island-style diner and not a hotel restaurant. Both health conscious selections on the menu and calorie count information -- two things that are essential to many business travelers these days -- were missing from the menu. I ordered a yogurt parfait with fresh fruit and granola ($6), but sent it back after taking a couple bites of it. It was room temperature (yogurt should be chilled to cold) and tasted more like lukewarm oatmeal. There wasn’t anything else on the menu that was appealing, so I left. I then went to the gift shop, adjoining the front desk, but there wasn’t really anything in there except for candy, junk food and soda pop. The other restaurant is a steakhouse that opens for dinner, but is incredibly expensive even by hotel standards. The lack of dining options, in my opinion, really hurts this hotel.

One thing the hotel does have is an exceptional location. However, it needs major improvements. The whole property is very tired and dated. The landscaping, especially on the sides of the hotel, is overgrown with weeds or no grass. The parking lot is so big that even if the hotel was full the lot would be empty, which doesn’t give one a favorable first impression. Who wants to stay at a hotel when there are only a dozen or so cars parked in a parking lot with several hundred spaces?

You can do much better in Novi for the same price or cheaper. The Sheraton, Renaissance and even some of the extended-stay corporate-geared inns offer better value for money than the Crowne Plaza. To be honest, I think some of the newer Holiday Inn hotels are better than this particular hotel. I wouldn’t stay here again, unless major improvements were made.

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevator and interior lobby courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
The Crowne Plaza of Novi would like to thank you for your comments as they are extremely important to us. Our Guest feed back is enables us to continuously improve our services in order to provide 100% guest satisfaction to all of our guest.

We've found that our property is an acquired taste. Often times, our guest love that our property is an older hotel with great character, charm and great updates. Others, honestly do prefer a newer more modern hotel. Our challenge is finding a great medium of which all guest will love. This task alone requires great guest surveys as this one. We want to hear the voice of our guest, we want to learn what they want and try 100% to accomodate them.

Your survey will provide valuable training for all departments with in our hotel. We thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and what we can do to earn your ten...

We so hope to see you soon! We would love the opportunity to service you again, and provide the great service that our guest have come to expect from a Crowne Plaza.

Travelers are raving about these Novi hotels

New Berlin, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Internet did not work and the front desk was unable to help. The refrigerator whine was constant. The bed squealed loudly whenever I moved. Apparently I shift positions frequently during the night. The room aromatherapy samples had 2/3 unopened and intact. Also, the tv station guide had no relation to any station available. And there was no bath mat, yet the towels were not accessible from the tub/shower.

It is the little things that help make a stay enjoyable. The room is a good size, and the location is fine. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LBurchCpNovi, Manager at Novi Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
You are absolutly correct! It is the little things...
I would like to apologize on the behalf of our entire staff for not executing the little things and making your stay %100 enjoyable. We thank you for your feedback on our property as well as our customer service. The feed back received from our guests helps us in our training and communicating process. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you would like to speak with a member of our management staff. We offer a direct platform for discussion of the issues presented at your earliest of convienence.

Thank you, Have a great day!