“Comfortable and Clean”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Westland, Michigan
“Comfortable and Clean”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton is a decent hotel for a business trip or a mini vacation. I've stayed here a few times and each visit I have never had a complaint. The front desk is very helpful and the lobby is always nice and clean. The rooms are spacious and the bed is quite comfortable and I hate hotel beds. The cool thing about the Sheraton is the location. You have plenty of restaurant options that are close by and it is conveniently located near the main expressway. The rooms service is good and is decently priced as well if you don't feel like leaving the hotel. I would highly recommend this place to stay if you are in the Novi, Livonia, or Farmington Hills area.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Photofox88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
North Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent three days there with our entire family and very much enjoyed our stay. The rooms were spacious and pleasant enough, the baths were clean and the beds most comfortable, but the cleaning schedule was not consistent. We had to call for cleaning on two different days and even then, we received only towels on one day.

The only other problem was that the hotel was very close to full and there was only one working elevator. The waits for an elevator were very long at times and we had to add 5 to 10 minutes to our departure to arrive on time.

The Club Floor was full, but the attendants kept the Club Room fully supplied with tasty tidbits. The food at all the wedding functions was wonderful. The hotel staff did a fine job to keeping the meals and the functions moving along smoothly. It is a great place for a wedding, but somehow, it did not seem to measure up to Sheraton standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wmlifsey
New York, NY
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Overall not a bad place for a brief stay. Room was clean but felt a little dated. Older furniture and lighting style than I'm used to in Sheratons, bed was okay but a little lumpy, bathroom was old but clean. Breakfast (eggs, sausage, hash browns) was tough and chewy -- I barely touched it. Service as usually is the case was solid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CDP5
Lathrup Village
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I consider myself pretty picky and was pleasantly happy with the service we received over our two day stay. The only frustration we had was when housekeeping some how marked us off that they cleaned our room but hadn't but that was quickly rectified.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank heeter28
Harbor Springs, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here with 3 teenagers for a soccer tournament. What impressed me the most was how friendly the staff was (when I had a concern, someone from management immediately came to the room, addressed what ended up being a non-issue, and followed up on it the next day) and how the hotel managed breakfast and lodging for the participants in this huge tournament. The breakfast was marginal, but it was organized and the hotel never seemed overrun with rowdy teenagers. It seemed there was a wedding the same weekend, but I never felt rushed or crowded or like noise was an issue.

The room was fine. Heat might have been a minor problem (or, more specifically, the turning on and off of the fan), but when sharing a room with two people who talk in their sleep and one who flails all night, a good night's sleep was not going to happen anyway.

We didn't use the pool, but I did use the treadmill in the fitness center. This is a small room, but there were at least 4 people in there, the treadmills were available, and weights were plentiful. I liked the cold washcloths and the view into the pool area.

The location is close to Trader Joe's and Target, which is also a plus.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room on a higher floor. We were placed at the end of the hall near the stairwell...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank AliYooper
Atlanta
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I read several reviews from others that said this hotel was not up to par. Considering it was a Sheraton and I know what Starwood properties expect from their hotels, I assumed people were being overly picky. As I pulled up to the hotel and saw how nice it looked and walked into the beautiful lobby, I was certain that people were flat wrong. Come to find out, I was the person who was wrong. I was extremely disappointed with this hotel and not sure how they keep the Sheraton brand name. When I got to my room, the thermostat said it was 84 degrees in the room. I instantly turned the air on high and waited. The temp never got below 78 degrees in the room. I slept on top of the covers and still woke up sweating. Prior to going to bed my first night there, I decided to take a shower and cool down a bit. I saw 3 human hairs on the shower wall and since I had not used the shower as of yet, I knew they were not mine. Those same 3 hairs remained on the shower wall my entire stay. Obviously housekeeping does not disinfect or clean the shower walls on a regular basis. I also paid for the overpriced breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant. I picked up a slotted spoon and took a scoop of scrambled eggs from their serving dish. To my disgust, water/egg juices poured through the bottom of the spoon. Scrambled eggs cooked properly should never been runny or have liquids at the bottom of the bowl. The bacon was barely cooked and I found the same for the sausage. I literally became ill about an hour after eating in their restaurant. Also, you pay extra for everything; everything from Internet connection to water. You can plan on spending an additional $25 a day above the listed room rate should you decide to stay at this overpriced, over rated hotel. Greed is never a good thing and it's very disappointing to find in a hotel. Definitely not some place that I would intentionally choose to stay at again and it’s really too bad as I am in the Novi area on business often.

Room Tip: Choose a room where he airconditioning actually works.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NonnahsS
Daejeon, South Korea
Reviewed May 21, 2013

From check-in to check-out, the staff at the Sheraton Detroit Novi certainly provides warm and prompt service. However, the property itself doesn't match the quality of its staff.

The rooms feature the very comfortable Sheraton 'Sweet Sleeper' bed and provide a great night of sleep, provided you can tune out the noise through the thin walls. Moreover, the room furnishings were an inconsistent state of upkeep. For example, the desk and dressers were spotless on arrival while one of the lampshades had visible dust.

An oddity during my stay: housekeeping neglected to replenish the toilet paper in the bathroom. Thankfully, this oversight was quickly fixed with a call down to guest services. Mistakes do occur and the hotel's staff did a fine job with recovery. Both the sink and the shower have strong water pressure and good temperature control. Although the hotel provides the basic bath amenities (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner), other amenities that other Sheraton hotels provide (shave cream, bath sponge, vanity kit, etc...) are lacking.

Considering the number of other Starwood hotels around the Detroit area, the Sheraton Detroit Novi would need to provide a significant value to consider a return stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Keane N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novi
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit/Novi
Hyatt Place Detroit/Novi
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson
Staybridge Suites - Novi
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Detroit - Novi
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Livonia/Novi

Been to Sheraton Detroit Novi? Share your experiences!