“Wonderful hotel, highly recommend it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Detroit Novi
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Miami, FL
“Wonderful hotel, highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Novi to attend my 50 year high school reunion which was held in the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I showed my Starwood Preferred Guest card at check-in and we were upgraded to a room on the Club Floor with a private lounge. The lounge was beautiful and included a very nice continental breakfast as well as convenient (and free!) internet service. I understand they also have complimentary cocktails there in the evening, but we did not do this. Our room was absolutely gorgeous, extremely clean, well-appointed, and we could not have asked for anything any better. The hotel also has a beautiful pool and jacuzzi and a gym which we used to do our morning workout. They also did a great job with our two reunion parties which were held in the banquet rooms. The hotel also has easy access to the freeway to get to the Detroit airport. A great choice in the Detroit area!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Viajes29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
Madison
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

When checking in, was told I had an "upgrade" . . . to the club floor. I really do not like it when they act like the club floor is an upgrade. It really is not. An upgrade in my opinion is to a suite, or larger room than normal for no extra fee. They are just putting me in a room on the top floor. I don't understand the way Sheraton determines if someone should get an upgrade to a larger room, or suite, there is no consistency. While I was there, the hotel seemed pretty empty, and seems like there would have been plenty of corner rooms, or larger rooms suites for Platinum members.

On with the actual review.

As I walked into the room, it smelled of Ben Gay. Strong menthol smell I thought maybe it was some new Sheraton air freshener. Room looked clean, bed was nice for the moment, so I unpacked, setup work space, and got to work. Oh, as I unpacked, and hung up shirts and pants, I realized the closet was a joke, how can anyone hang up stuff in there, when there is a handicap shelf right in the way. Unless you want to pack all your hanging clothes together in a 12 inch space. See picture.

I then discovered the bathroom was a handicap bathroom. Wonderful, I cannot stand them. They usually frustrate me, because they have the tile floor where all the water seeps out on the floor when you take a shower! At least this one had some sort of clear weather stripping mounted on the border of the shower, so I thought, well, that is not so bad. Of course these do not come with bathtubs, I overlooked it, and went back to work.

Ordered room service...was very good. I stayed two nights, the second night they introduced a new menu, which was also good, and large variety. Unusual for most Sheratons. I liked it though. Service was excellent, people friendly. Deserts were spectacular. Try the raspberry / lemon shooter...nice!

After dinner, I hit the bed to work, and watch tv. The Ben Gay smell was much stronger, and then realized it was coming from the pillow I was sitting against. Wonderful...now I smell like Ben Gay, and of course wondered...what caused this to get on the pillow...eww...I dont want to know! Threw it on the floor, put a note on it, and asked housekeeping to replace...which they did the next day. Thank you housekeeping, but why did you not notice this smell in the first place???

As I decided to go to sleep, I noticed a rumbling / vibration that was very loud. I could not figure it out, and it bothered me enough to keep me awake. I thought it was perhaps the elevator, because the hotel last week had me next to an elevator, where I had that all the time. However; I was sure to check that out when I went to the room, I was a long way from the elevator. Well, then I heard a "ding ding" like an elevator. Well, I found out later I was next to the service elevators. Oh my gosh! I had to turn on the fan on the furnace / air on high to drown out with white noise.

When I got up in the morning, I took a shower. Guess what...water all over the floor! Darn! Hope my neighbor below me did not get a face full of water. Also, the dumb shower did not have ONE place to put soap or shampoo. I had to use the floor to store the soap bar, and the shampoo. Sometimes I just do not understand how things like this are overlooked. Maybe cause it is a handicap shower? If so, that is the first one I have seen like that. See picture.

Some other annoying things...

1) Not the typical 2 packs of regular coffee...only 1...you have to ask for extra...this was not a mistake, cause the 2nd day, they did the same thing.
2) Clock when I checked in was set to AM, not PM...could have been late in the morning, if did not notice
3) When came back the 2nd day, housekeeping must have unplugged the clock, because it was flashing with the incorrect time. If they do that, they should reset it properly

A cool thing I have never had was a pants press...however; I did not have a chance to try it out. Wish I remembered to try it. Oh well.

I hope this review helps you...

The hotel overall is pretty decent...from an appearance, smell, attitude, access, etc. I just had a bad room. I am sure if I pushed it, they may have upgraded me, and / or moved me to another room.

They should train their staff to not pretend that an upper floor is an upgrade, and to never book someone next to the elevator...maybe even close off that room, turn it into break room or something.

Room Tip: Request no elevators near room. No handicap, unless of course you need it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
4 Thank ClickTheGeek
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family and I stayed two (2) nights at the Sheraton Detroit Novi for 2 nights at the end of August of 2011. The hotel is located off the Interstate highway 96 and 275 at the 8 Mile Road Exit (aka Baseline). The hotel is just north of 8 Mile Road on Haggerty Road. The hotel has a number of restaurants that are within 2 minutes drive of it, including:

- McDonalds

- Kohls
- Costco
- Meijer
- Target

All of these are located off Haggerty Road, just south of 8 Mile Road.

The hotel has 7 floors. The top floor is the club floor while 6th floor is the SPG floor. We had two (2) rooms on the SPG floor overlooking a commercial building in the back of the hotel. The hotel rooms are spacious with a bed, desk, chair, dresser and a lounge chair with ottomen. The TV appears to be a 40 inch LCD and some of the channels are in HD, I believe.

The bathroom was a little tight. The door almost hits the toilet, plus the ceiling height inside the bathroom was less than 7 feet, so it felt very cramped.

In the lobby area, it has been outfitted with Link@Sheraton. There are four computer terminals for hotel guests. Plus, you can connect your computer to the high-speed internet ethernet cable. There is one printer available for use. The hotel has high-speed WIFI available throughout.

We tried using the swimming pool in the basement. The swimming pool has patio doors that slide open to the garden. The deepest part of the pool was 4 ft 6 inches. The shape of the pool was in a triangular format, so it mostly suitable for children's play. There is a hot tub nearby plus an exercise gym inside the swimming pool area.

Outdoor parking was free and abudant spaces are available.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay. I think you will too.

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) member or upgrade to the Club floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Truthfu1
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I am the GM of a teenage baseball team from Toronto Canada. We recently participated in a major tournament in Northville & Novi Michigan, and our host selected the Sheraton Detroit Novi for all of the teams. Our team required about 20 rooms, and of course the needs were diverse. The people in the hotel reservations department, and the people at the front desk were outstanding, they took care of everything and did so while appearing to be very happy to help.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank John J
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Sheraton in Novi, Michigan staff goes above and beyond to make sure that you are 100% comfortable during your stay. During check in there was NO waiting......All the staff greeted you with a warm friendly smile making you feel welcome from the get go!
The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the service in the concierge room was really nice.....
All the staff were very professional and eager to lend a helping hand!
I will stay at this hotel over and over again and would highly recommend it to others

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank donna3100
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Novi Sheraton is a good hotel to stay at for business and pleasure. Looks dated from the outside, but the rooms are decent. My TV didn't work and the hotel moved me into a different room immediately.
The gym leaves alot to be desired, but there are gyms you can go to in the area that are free with a room key.
Overall, the staff was very friendly, the hotel was clean and I would recommend it for a Novi area stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank sparty_10
Amherstburg, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked this through a discount site but had a top of the line room. King bed, with superb bedding, large flat screen tv and the room had great finishes.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple