The Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Fancy lobby - very cool fire place. the restaurant is great, and we enjoyed the bar, as well. Located in the 12 Oakes Mall area, so that was different for a Renaissance. The room was very clean, as well. Overall pleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoadWarrior0219
KimberlyGreene, General Manager at The Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay at the Renaissance Baronette Hotel. As a guest familiar with the uniqueness of each Renaissance property, our hotel is no different. The design and decor of our property is contemporary interpretation of a northern Michigan lodge. Our location is more suburban than many Renaissance Hotels, giving our guest the option of experiencing Twelve Oaks Mall for shopping, or having our Navigators provide suggestions for small, local shops in our area.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wow.. I remember when this property was a dumpy hotel that you told people to avoid... That was years ago and the renovations are amazing.

The hotel is full of artwork, I suggest wandering the halls and taking in some of the pretty cool pieces they have all over the property.

The room was plush... great bed, amazing two head shower, nice work area.. very impressive.

Great staff ! Friendly and very sweet to my kids.

The Restaurant (Toasted Oak) served great food, but if you're in a rush, this isn't the place to go. If you have some time, make sure you eat there. I had the Bacon Pancakes with an incredible banana foster topping. YUM.

Just really impressed by this hotel and will stay there again when the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Twelve Oaks Mall, Novi road tends to get more traffic at night.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank randynovak
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I remember staying at The Baronette a while ago before it got bought out by Marriot. After that stay, I swore that I would never go back. I was a bit apprehensive going back this time but I figured that the Marriot brand wouldn't be too bad. It turned out that it was a good choice.

The hotel has been completely redone. The lobby is modern and welcoming. There is now a pantry where you can buy snacks or drinks. There is a large table with power outlet so that you can work. There were also plenty of sitting area to wait for people. Overall, the lobby and reception area gave off a good vibe and was pleasant to come back to. The location is a bit hectic as construction of the roads were going on. However, it is close to a mall and there is a Starbucks just across the street.

The rooms were also upgraded. I had a room on the first floor and it was nice and big. The bed felt very nice and everything else was nicely appointed. There are two things I would complain about the room. The first is the AC. Although the room was upgraded, the AC unit was probably not. It can get very loud and even when it isn't running, it gives off a buzzing noise. Although it doesn't bother me, it did bother my co-workers who had the same issue in their room. The second thing is the pillows. My bed had 6 pillows and none of them worked for me. They were all odd sizes too.

Finally, I always have to make a comment about the internet. The overall speed was good and the wireless coverage was very good throughout. However, it isn't free. They charge an extra $5.95/day. I find this annoying because the room rate wasn't low and they could just have easily included that $6 in the room rate and just provided it for "free". This nickel and diming just turns me off. In fact, I debated giving this hotel a rating of 3 instead of 4. However, everything else about the hotel was good enough to make up for it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor seems to be bigger.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SANsna
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I went here for convenience as I had a meeting nearby. I don't think that Novi is a vacation destination but if you need accommodations for a business meeting or just visiting friends and family in the area this hotel is not a bad option. My room on the 2nd floor was clean and comfortable though nothing special. (One of the reviewers mentioned the 3rd floor had upgraded rooms. As a Silver Elite Marriott Rewards member I wish I had been upgraded.) My room rate was $199, and for the room type that seems pricey. It's possible there are limited options in the area so the market will bear that pricing. There was some construction at the entrance to the hotel which made entry and exiting a little annoying and confusing, but hopefully that is a short-term issue. The $5.95 charge for web access considering the room charge was also annoying which led to a lower rating on my part for "Value." Why is this not a perk for Rewards members? I do agree with another reviewer that the attached restaurant, Toasted Oak Grill & Market, was very good. If I lived in the area that is a restaurant I would return to.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MATravelerBOS
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My experience of this hotel was marred a little bit just by an arrival so late that I couldn't get a good night's sleep. The updating of the physical structure seems to work ok. You feel like you're in an old hotel as you walk through the guest floors and hallways, but the decor is creative and upbeat to give it a modern feel. The meeting rooms on the main floor are adequate. Staff are relatively friendly and are on the whole very helpful. I left some things in my room accidentally and between Housekeeping and the front desk the matter was dealt with quickly for me. it's conveniently located next to the 12 Oaks mall in Novi so if you forgot something you are definitely in luck!.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It was long time I hadn't stayed at The Baronette and honestly, last time it wasn't that comfortable. It was closed for a while and it was worth the waiting. The upgrade becoming a Renaissance is really noticeable.

The breakfast is everyday the same (typical US breakfast), and still you can eat different food at least for a week.

The staff is mostly nice, although there was this lady the day I left that wasn't friendly at all, unfortunately I didn't take her name.

One of the thumbs down is that with the upgrade, they lost the swimming pool and it's a missed feature.

The other (and biggest) thumb down is the cleanliness. They wouldn't change the glass I used until the second day. And one day, I found the towel I left in the floor just lying in there when I came back at night. This made me suspicious about the room cleanliness in general.

Comfortable rooms and beds, and nice bathroom design.

I could go back in there, but need to make sure my room is clean every day.

Room Tip: Second and third floor are preferable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a quick trip to The Baronette Renaissance in Novi. We attended a wedding a few miles away and the hotel was recommended by the bride and groom. The hotel is easy to find...just off I-96 and is convenient to the 12 Oaks Mall...which came in handy since I forgot to pack a tie. Check-in was easy, the room was nice, the public areas were also nice (everything from the lobby to the attached restaurant). There was thick dust on one of the end tables that I left a note in with my finger. Also, some hallway noise woke my us up several times during the night...late night for some of the guests. We stayed on the third-floor, which has limited access. We had a drink at the restaurant in the evening that was nice and had a breakfast that was fantastic in the morning (French toast with Nutella and Cornflakes, and a smoked fish hash). It would be nice if there was better pedestrian linkages from the hotel to the mall. Friendly staff all around. Rooms have coffee, tea, nice soaps/shampoos, iron, and hair dryer. Due to our short stay we never turned on the television, so can't report on that. I'd go back just for the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple