“Excellent hotel”

The Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Good staff, great food, very comfortable room and bed........great value for money

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Waynebrow

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I travel to Novi for business. Since I worked in the hotel industry in the past I can tell you what is good and what is bad about this hotel from my experience.
First of all, I ll start with the front desk. Like most of the staff there, they do excellent job, they are friendly, accurate, and good people to greet you there.
- Location of hotel is convenient if you work around there. Make sure you get a car rental if you go there. Otherwise you will not be able to do much other than stay in hotel. With the car there are few nice restaurants around the area.
- Rooms of hotel are pretty good. Pretty spacy, beds are comfortable, TV channels are good - you have espns, news channels, and HBO, pretty good. Little workdesk is pretty good. Bathroom is very good. Good quality of vanity's to plumbing - kohler.
- Housekeeping, I have mixed feeling about. They do a good job on everything but they do not clean the dust. My alarm clock which is black is always dusty. Not good. Another thing is that windows are dirty, and I mean it. If you do not believe me next time move the curtains a bit and you will see it. These things are not a huge deal, but they caught my attention.
- Restaurant is designed very nice. However, after reading about this famous chef, he did not meet my expectations. I ordered a burger cooked medium well, it came out more on the medium rare side (I understand it is not very easy to get the temperature right on the burger). Also fries were soggy, and not delicious at all. The other night I had flat iron steak with chimichuri sauce, I have to admit it was decent - average. I have to admit that the restaurant has excellent waitstaff. Our waiter was younger gentlman with glasses. This guy was friendly, he knew his specials, drinks, beer and menu 100%. He cared to find out how our experience was. Just excellent. Bartender the other night, was just plain, average. Breakfast crew is excellent. Also breakfast items are really good and fresh.

Since rates are good and location is convenient to my work i will keep on choosing Baronette as my hotel. Also for the most part staff is good and welcoming.

I hope these little details will improve as well, but even if they don't it is a good place to stay. I know it is not easy to run the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Nermean C
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I was at the Baronette for a conference. The rooms were fine and decor a cut above what you see most places. A very nice lobby area. The staff was fine and our catered lunches were some of the best I've ever had. I didnt go to the restaurant but went to the bar -- friendly staff but the atmosphere is a little strange, as they've integrated a deli with it. On the other hand, the food offerings were creative and very tasty.

And I was delighted to see, a few steps from the door of the restaurant, an herb garden where usually you'd find the some old grass next to parking spaces! Now that's cool, and tells me these folks are serious about offering something special.

2  Thank richard_traveler
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I had previously stayed at this hotel and had a great experience. I wrote a review to that effect.

My stay on this occasion was far more average. Although the hotel still offered a satisfactory experience overall, there were issues with housekeeping. That saddens me, because (if my room was any indication) it means that the hotel is not keeping pace with its great renovation. If you don't keep up with the preventative stuff, then the whole hotel will go downhill more quickly than it should.

In my room, one of the phones did not work -- I could hear the person on the line, but they could not hear me. (I learned this after calling room service 3 times and having the person who answered be unable to hear my order.) One of the lamps was not working. There was dirt in some of the corners.

Service-wise, I like that the hotel gives Marriott Rewards elite members complimentary access to the pantry. That's a real plus. However, I have found on my last two stays here the front desk staff to be less-than-hospitable -- not outright rude, just sort of unwelcoming. Furthermore, the hotel consistently fails to honor my Marriott Rewards preferences regarding room location (high floor, away from elevator). When I've asked for a different room, they have obliged -- but why not monitor the reservations for these preferences in the first place?

Overall, I'll still consider this hotel as business brings me to Novi, but the housekeeping issues are frustrating.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank brmusicman
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I was very impressed with the decor and renovations Marriott has done since taking over this property. The lobby and public areas are very nice! The hotel is in a convenient location to many N. Detroit attractions and businesses and is located right in the parking lot of 12 Oaks Mall. I was very happy with the decor and comfort of my King guestroom on the 3rd floor. As a Gold member, I was provided complimentary bottled water and drinks from the convenience store in the hotel lobby since this property does not have a member lounge. After checking in I decided to order dinner via room service. I was surprised at the length of time it took to arrive being that I ordered a thin crust pizza and a salad. Upon arrival to my room I was very surprised that they brought my food uncovered and exposed all the way from the kitchen to my room. In addiiton, the male employee who made the delivery had longer hair and it was not pulled back nor did he have a professional appearance. I explained my concern and said that I was surprised the food was not covered and was told that they had run out of the covers. I refused the order and said I would eat elsewhere. As I was leaving the hotel (inconvenient) I was stopped by the restaurant manager, Jason, and he was apologetic and professional. I explained that at that point I preferred to eat elsewhere and I also stated that I did not expect them to do anything or give me a discount I just wanted them to know I thought it was a bad practice that needed to be improved. I left the hotel and picked up take out and returned to my room. Shortly thereafter, there was a knock on the door and an employee had a cart with a bottle of wine and assorted chocolates. He said they wanted to apologize and I thanked him but declined because I did not need any of that and am not a wine drinker. I again was surprised with the appearance of the employee, after all this is a Renaissance property and I assumed they would have higher standards. This male employee had a piercing in his left ear that streched his skin and was not attactive to look at. I would think this would be a violation of a professional dress code. Another issue was the Keurig Coffee and Tea maker in the room. The provided assorted teas, coffee, and hot chocolate but the machine in my room was not functional. I called the front desk and they sent someone up and she tried it which took several minutes (another inconvenience for me) and determined it wasn't working. She left the room and came back with a new machine and we tried it and were able to get it to make 1 cup and after that it also was not functional and stopped working. Another inconvenience was that the housekeeping staff did not change the clock to the correct time from the time change that had just occurred. Check out time is 12pm and they pounded on my door at 8:30am! What if I had been trying to sleep in? There should be a way that they know the room is still occupied so as not to disturb guests. Almost every hotel I stay in serves breakfast until 10am. A buffet breakfast was included with my stay and when I arrived to the buffet at 9:25am they were tearing it down. They told me the restaurant serves until 10am but they take the buffet down at 9:30am. I got a take out box and took the food with me back to my room because I had to be on a conference call at 10am. Just after I began my conference call, housekeeping pounded on my door again. This was very inconvenient and made me feel like they were trying to rush me out of the room. After leaving the room I had to use the business center. I had some important documents to print out for work that day. Something was wrong with their computers so I was told by a front desk associate to email him the items I needed and he would print them. This took extra time but I did appreciate his help. I travel a lot and stay in very nice properties in the US, USVI, and Puerto Rico for work and I can honestly say that this is a nice property but the management staff is lacking. I say that because I saw a lack of professionalism in several of the employees and that is a reflection of how the management is running the hotel.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

The outside of the property doesnt look like much....very plain. However, the attention to detail is excellent in almost every way. I wish I would have checked out the workout room...so I have no opinion on it. My room was very clean, I really like the upgraded "spa" amenities in the bathroom, great shower head, very good lighting in the bathroom. In room safe and refrigerator, excellent flat screen TV, good internet service, great bed and pillows. What really makes this property outstanding is the resaurant that is attached. you can buy a bottle of wine (good selection, maybe slightly above average prices) and can drink at your table or bring back to your room. The market section of the restaurant is fantastic..outstanding selection (for a restaurant) of cheeses and meats/sausages....VERY cool. This restaurant is a happening spot..good crowds. The bar even has Bells Beer on tap (2 varieties). The breakfast they serve is definately WAY above average for a hotel..homemade sausage...great Steel Cut Oatmeal. 2 Complaints and both are substantial: 1. My wake up call did not come through, this is really inexcusable, thank heavens for redundancy with my cell phone. 2. The Doors to the hotel rooms have about a 1/4" gap all across th bottom..this of course lets in ALL of the noise in the hallway..I have NO idea why hotels do this..it is really really really annoying. I usually end of taking a towel and stuffing it under the door to close the gap...it helps.

2  Thank Texas_Phil
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Returned to this hotel after being away for a decade. It has been remodeled and is magnificent now. This is one of the best Marriott Renaissance hotels I have had the pleasure to stay with. The decor, comfort, and services are all top notch. The large flat screen HD television in my room has 100% digital channels, including HBO. The Toasted Oak restaurant/deli/bar is very popular with locals and quests and also has a contemporary fireplace and wide screen TV's around the bar for sports fans. Gold & Platinum Marriott members are treated to an excellent free breakfast buffet. I highly recommend the Baronette.

Room Tip: They are all quiet.