“Typical”

Residence Inn Detroit Novi
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

It's a residence inn. Not as nice as some though. Feels older, strange smell. Pool area is inside, small. Breakfast was reasonable, eggs,waffles, miso soup. I would stay again. Great mall area & theater nearby. 2 room suite is large, although beds are VERY firm! Pillows great.

Stayed: October 2013
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Detroit Novi

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Would I stay here again? I've had great experiences with other RIs but I was disappointed with this one. I will be the first to admit my experience with the not very helpful manager during checkout certainly changed my opinion of the place from "average" to "not a place I want to stay again unless everything else is booked, so your mileage may vary.

On the morning I was checking out, I found I had an issue with my bill. I went to discuss it with the front desk. They had charged my entire stay to my personal credit card instead of my company's corporate card.

Upon explaining to the front desk staffer, the supervisor / manager (a tall, slim brunette) standing next to her interrupted and said Residence Inn policy didn't allow them to do charge stays against cards unless they were swiped at the front desk or they had received a signed authorization form.

The manager was very abrupt and matter of fact. I felt she was being dismissive of my questions and concerns.

I told her I had not had this situation arise with other Residence Inns before. She looked at me and repeated this was the policy of THIS Residence Inn.

I answered I wished I would have know of this policy earlier but she had already turned around, answered the phone and ignored me from that point on.

Here's the best part - after leaving the hotel I contacted my company's travel department and it turns out that my company DID send in the authorization form before my arrival.

It's unfortunate the manager didn't make an effort to investigate further while I was there, or try to be a little less abrupt with a Marriott guest. I guess she was too busy talking on the phone.

On the plus side:

The mini-suite I was in was very comfortable, kitchenette, utensils, stove, full sized fridge, dining table, sitting area with sofa and TV, TV in the bedroom, etc.

Unfortunately it wasn't very quiet. I could hear noise from the rooms next door and above (I must have had an elephant staying in the room above based on the heavy stomping footsteps).

This RI has the traditional daily evening meal but there's no beer / wine provided, just soft drinks. With the exception of Italian night, the meals were pretty basic. Breakfast and dinner offerings were very basic. Lukewarm powdered eggs and cardboard-like Canadian bacon were the daily breakfast staples, with one fruit offering per day. They also had pastries, croissants, bagels, cereal, and oatmeal.

Interestingly enough, one morning they had sushi available for breakfast - apparently this particular RI is popular with Japanese visitors.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid elephant stompings over your head.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dictator_Sulla
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for 30+ days on a recent business trip. The front desk staff were nice and went out of their way to help me when needed. My room was clean and best of all it was QUITE. I really liked how it was tucked away behind the shopping areas. There was plenty of parking without too much crowding. The area felt very safe and was close to shopping. It was well located making it easy to get around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with my stay. The hotel staff was very courteous and made sure that I had everything that I needed. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The hotel was kind of pricey since I was in Michigan for a week but you get what you pay for. Breakfast was good, a different variety each day and the evening snacks were great as well. Location was great had several shopping areas and a variety of restaurants to choose from. I would definitely choose this location if ever visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This property is generally well-maintained and well-appointed. Cleanliness was good with the exception of mildew on the shower curtain - a pet peeve. The breakfast and manager's evening reception/light dinner were well-done. Staff are courteous, although not always technically strong. Some challenges with correctly billing and processing room charges, even after multiple calls from my corporate travel coordinator.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were there for a baseball tournament - very accommodating for a big noisy group. However, I really hate mildew on my shower curtains. My son bought a soda from the store by the front desk and it had expired months ago. If this was a cheap stay, I wouldn't complain, but for what I paid, this is not acceptable. The pillows are awful,too. We are going back in 2 weeks for another tournament - we will bring our own pillows and cross our fingers on clean. The store, on the other hand...

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed a few nights for my son's baseball tournament. The staff was super friendly, we were able to shoot some hoops on the hotel's basketball court. The room was clean, we had a full kitchen, full fridge, dishwasher and the works. Our bed was very comfortable, bathrooms had granite countertop and were immaculate. They have a nice courtyard that the parents could sit in at night with a nice grill to use for cooking. One night we ordered pizza and they allowed us to set it up in the breakfast area and gave us tinfoil to wrap up the extra for lunch the next day. My family travels quite a bit and this was one of the best service experiences we've had. We will definately stay there next year when we attend the tournament.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family